Groceries

Old Jan 14th 2016, 3:28 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by JamesM
The supermarkets in Canada charge different prices based on geographical demographic.
This is the same for the 2 biggest commercial suppliers too (Sysco and GFS). Operate your business from a ski resort and delivered prices are higher than in a neighbouring town. Transport costs are cited as the reason, but given the price of oil that doesn't hold much water when I'm being charged exactly the same fuel surcharge year in, year out.

If anyone ever wonders why eating out at a ski resort is so expensive, blame the suppliers, not the business operators.

Like most things in Canada there is only really two or three suppliers and with the illegal collusion between them all we will undoubtably never see proper online grocery shopping.

No competition equals no innovation. It's the same reason we all have cable boxes from 1982.
I've used both Sysco and GFS as suppliers and it's amazing how similar their inflated prices are. Buying at retail from a grocery store shouldn't be 40-60% cheaper than in bulk from a national wholesale distributor, but it often is.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 3:38 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

The supermarkets in Canada charge different prices based on geographical demographic.

There is no financial incentive for them to have all their prices in one place as it would give too much transparency and power to the consumer. They'd also take a hit on revenues.

Like most things in Canada there is only really two or three suppliers and with the illegal collusion between them all we will undoubtably never see proper online grocery shopping.

They've had it in the UK for over ten years now- there is no reason we don't have it in Ontario (the Golden Horseshoe) other than it is not in their financial interests to hurt their own revenues and add more costs.

No competition equals no innovation. It's the same reason we all have cable boxes from 1982.
Welcome to rip-off Canada.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 3:46 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H

If anyone ever wonders why eating out at a ski resort is so expensive, blame the suppliers, not the business operators.
Originally Posted by Oink
Welcome to rip-off Canada.
At least we can go south and buy products with our strong dollar
Old Jan 14th 2016, 3:46 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't have thought that would be an issue. They could just 'attach' a customer postcode to whatever store they'd expect the customer to shop at and charge the same price.

It already happens with Home Depot and Home Hardware, for example.

Originally Posted by Siouxie
... like many aspects of Canada, they just haven't got there yet.
That's as likely as any reason. The old "it's the way it is" and "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" attitude.

Funny...with the weather here you'd think not going to the store would be popular. But the day before an expected storm, 'everyone' goes shopping as if it's xmas and the shops are closed for a week.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 4:18 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I would have thought delivery of non-perishable groceries would be technically viable, lots of other goods are supplied without seeing the vendor (for example, we buy clothes, shoes and consumer durables from online retailers. We arrange building supplies and organize contractors by text). Instead of us taking a truck to Costco for $500 worth of flats of things and the neighbours all doing the same, it would be cheaper for Costco to send a truck to our street and drop off a couple of grand's worth.

The snag to my mind, and the reason for not using Grocery Gateway, when living in Toronto, is that some things require selection and/or specialty stores. As long as we're going to the butcher and cheese shop we may as well pick up the rest of the groceries. There's also the concern that it's not really viable to return anything that's been delivered and doesn't suit; shipping things from rural Canada is just too expensive. If the retailer sends rotten potatoes and doesn't have a shop then the customers only recourse is not to order again. In the meantime there's no dinner.
I don't dispute this in the slightest, I purchase non-perishables online (including Chocolate Hobnobs, lol) - but I thought Parnell was talking about general groceries including perishables.

In respect of Grocery Gateway specifically, I have found they will replace or refund anything that isn't as expected or up to standard without quibbling.

Old Jan 14th 2016, 4:31 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I don't dispute this in the slightest, I purchase non-perishables online (including Chocolate Hobnobs, lol) - but I thought Parnell was talking about general groceries including perishables.

Have you tried Chocolate Caramel Hobnobs?
You have been warned.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 4:52 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I don't dispute this in the slightest, I purchase non-perishables online (including Chocolate Hobnobs, lol)
Crumbs?
Old Jan 14th 2016, 5:04 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Have you tried Chocolate Caramel Hobnobs?
You have been warned.
Not yet - I saw them on a UK site but not sure they are available here yet - they sound yummy though!

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Crumbs?
No, lol, Walmart pack them in bubble wrap surrounded by bubble wrap in a double walled box - never had a broken one yet! (and they don't charge for delivery). I treat myself once in a while.

McVitie's Milk Chocolate Hobnobs | Walmart.ca
Old Jan 14th 2016, 5:41 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

In respect of Grocery Gateway specifically, I have found they will replace or refund anything that isn't as expected or up to standard without quibbling.

I feel sure if this was viable Jimmy Pattison would be all over it. Not much slips by him!
Old Jan 14th 2016, 5:46 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Aviator
I feel sure if this was viable Jimmy Pattison would be all over it. Not much slips by him!
I agree - hence my previous posts.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/maple.../#post11836893
http://britishexpats.com/forum/maple.../#post11836922
Old Jan 14th 2016, 5:59 am
Oscar nominated

No, lol, Walmart pack them in bubble wrap surrounded by bubble wrap in a double walled box - never had a broken one yet!
I have an idea Sobeys does them in their Brit section too.

I always preferred ordinary ones.

It's Club biscuits other than orange they need to do though. Either mint or fruit. I only see orange.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 6:14 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
I sent this email to the President of Overwaitea a few years ago:

Sent: Friday, October 28, 2011 8:36 AM
To: Steve van der Leest (Overwaitea Food Group)
Subject: Customer service proposal

Hi Steve,

You're likely a busy man, so I'll cut to the chase.

I hate shopping.

The parking, finding change for a cart, the slow aisle shuffle behind indecisive shoppers, checkout line-ups.....there must be an easier way.

Yesterday my wife shopped for groceries at the Save On store in Kamloops, but forgot her purse and staff kindly took the bagged shopping aside to a chiller, and held on to it for me to collect and pay for after work. It was the best shopping experience I've had. No hassle, walk in, collect, pay. Five minutes of my time rather than the usual hour.

While living in Europe I was used to the convenience of online grocery shopping and home delivery. Here, I appreciate the lower population density, and greater distances probably mean that business model is less feasible. It struck me yesterday though, that being able to place an order online and have a member of staff pre-bag everything for me to collect after work would be worth paying a premium for. A drive through option would be even better still. We all lead busy lives, ferrying children from place to place, trying to meet appointments, or merely not wanting to be late home for the early hockey game. Save On could gain a competitive advantage offering this service, I'd gain more time in the pub, and you'd usurp Galen Weston as the housewives' pin-up. It's a win-win for all involved.

Thanks for your consideration.

Rich

His reply a few hours later:

[email protected]
28/10/2011
to me

Thanks for the note Rich – a good thought and something that we too have been trying to wrap our minds around. We will be sharing your comments with our home delivery development team.

Regards,

Steve
Old Jan 14th 2016, 6:20 am
Pea Brain

He didn't reply to my next mail. I guess he got too busy

to Steve_van_der_.

You're welcome. I won't hold you to ransom and share the idea with Galen. He's too busy making commercials to listen anyway.

From a logistics and operational perspective, orders placed 24hrs in advance would enable a night crew to shop unencumbered by the great unwashed members of society that frequent the store during daylight hours (might want to alter that messaging in a press release). It'll make for better efficiencies.

In the UK, stores like Safeway and Tesco would offer the option to substitute an item if it was out of stock - I guess it made the online ordering process less complex in terms of database maintenance or integration with store stock levels. It'd mean a wholewheat loaf could get swapped for a multi-grain loaf, that sort of thing. There was little chance of ending up with salami when you fancied a donut.

The logistics of storage, a collection point and checkout are probably the trickiest to resolve within existing environments, but man's been to the moon. These things aren't insurmountable, according to my preliminary back of a beer mat calculations.

Enjoy the weekend,

Rich
Old Jan 14th 2016, 6:33 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
He didn't reply to my next mail. I guess he got too busy

to Steve_van_der_.

You're welcome. I won't hold you to ransom and share the idea with Galen. He's too busy making commercials to listen anyway.

From a logistics and operational perspective, orders placed 24hrs in advance would enable a night crew to shop unencumbered by the great unwashed members of society that frequent the store during daylight hours (might want to alter that messaging in a press release). It'll make for better efficiencies.

In the UK, stores like Safeway and Tesco would offer the option to substitute an item if it was out of stock - I guess it made the online ordering process less complex in terms of database maintenance or integration with store stock levels. It'd mean a wholewheat loaf could get swapped for a multi-grain loaf, that sort of thing. There was little chance of ending up with salami when you fancied a donut.

The logistics of storage, a collection point and checkout are probably the trickiest to resolve within existing environments, but man's been to the moon. These things aren't insurmountable, according to my preliminary back of a beer mat calculations.

Enjoy the weekend,

Rich
I liked your first email.

On your second you should have asked him who was heading up the team then forwarded them your further thoughts.

Off topic where is the cheapest place to stay in Sun Peaks that would give a person their own bedroom/bathroom? Best price I've found so far is $140 per night and I'm wondering if that can be squeezed on?
Old Jan 14th 2016, 6:42 am
Pea Brain

I liked your first email.

On your second you should have asked him who was heading up the team then forwarded them your further thoughts.

Off topic where is the cheapest place to stay in Sun Peaks that would give a person their own bedroom/bathroom? Best price I've found so far is $140 per night and I'm wondering if that can be squeezed on?
Cheapest place is the hostel (shared dorm with nubile Scandinavian backpackers) at $27 per night. A private room there is $75 per night, but still shared bathrooms.

You're unlikely to find anything much under $150 between now and March with your own facilities. Occupancy rates (I get weekly reports) are 80%+ for much of the season, so bargains are few and far between.

I'd offer you a self-contained basement suite at home here, but have the out-laws staying until late March.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.