Groceries

Old Jan 21st 2016, 12:32 pm
  #661  
Slightly Canadian
 
Atlantic Xpat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland
Posts: 10,130
Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Cost of veggies has gone mental. Cauliflowers are about 7 bucks for a small one. Celery was $5.49. I've got to get groceries tomorrow. I'll try to remember to post some of the prices.
Indeed. A barrel of oil has dropped so much & cauliflower gone up so much that we can talk about a barrel of oil being worth 5 cauliflowers!

Although I did manage to buy two for $6 last weekend as Dominion (Superstore) had 'em on special.
Atlantic Xpat is offline  
Old Jan 21st 2016, 12:38 pm
  #662  
Slightly Canadian
 
Atlantic Xpat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland
Posts: 10,130
Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Haven't been doing much grocery shopping these days, but prices have gone up a bit, especially with veggies...

3 tomatoes $6.10 No idea. Don't buy toms.

2 broccoli crowns 6.54 Broccoli bundle (not crowns) anything under $3.49 is a good price

3 zucchini 4.71 Rarely buy zucchini

celery sticks 2.99 Not sure what the distinction between sticks and stalks is but celery is $5 odd now

celery stalks 2.87

sandwich meat, turkey 6.39

loaf of brad 2.49 (I remember the previous price, up from 1.99) We buy bread directly from the bakery for $2.50. Same loaf is $3.39 in Sobeys

1lb carrots 2.49 (I think they used to hover around 1.99) Carrots currently $2.50 but anything upto $3.99 usual

12 eggs 4.99 Feels expensive, Cheapest is $2.99 for eggs

4 liters milk 4.69 2 x 2l milk here $7.29 special @ Irving gas stations. $4.14 for 2L in grocery stores
Don't move to Newfoundland. Groceries are expensive here!
Atlantic Xpat is offline  
Old Jan 21st 2016, 2:30 pm
  #663  
Account Closed
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 0
scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Cost of veggies has gone mental. Cauliflowers are about 7 bucks for a small one. Celery was $5.49. I've got to get groceries tomorrow. I'll try to remember to post some of the prices.
That they have, I don't see eating much vegetables in the near future, takes up too much of the food budget leaving nothing left for the other things....


Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Don't move to Newfoundland. Groceries are expensive here!
The celery stalks are the ones with the leafy part on the top, and the sticks have been processed and cut into halves. They didn't have much of either in stock so I got a bit of both since we snack on them. Usually I buy the cheaper stalks and cut them myself, but had to take what they had.

As prices have gone up the stores seem to be stocking less produce, and out of stock a lot more often, suppose at the higher cost they are trying to reduce waste, and I imagine the higher prices is reducing demand.

We are staying in BC, at the end of the day it's too risky not having the safety net we have here for the times when health issues prevent working or working enough.
scrubbedexpat091 is offline  
Old Jan 21st 2016, 2:55 pm
  #664  
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 19,879
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

I did some shopping the other day at Walmarts for my son, as he wasn't feeling well, stocking up on a few bit and pieces. Not a typical shop but I'll try and remember to post next time I go.

Pkt of 5 chicken breasts - $10.00
Villagio bread - $3.38
Heinz Tomato Soup - $0.78
Can Tuna fish - $1.88
Dry pasta - $1.24
Cheese - $7.97
Phili cream cheese $3.97
Carrots - $1.97
Bag of Onions - 1.97
Bananas -$1.02 (1.48kg)
Teabags (own brand) $1.97
Digestive Biscuits - $2.00
Baked Beans (Heinz) $0.76
Folgers Coffee - $10.97
Ginger - $0.18
Ham - $5.00
Eggs - $2.85
Salad dressing - $2.77
Frozen Fries - $1.97
Dads Cookies - $1.97
Marmite - $3.56
Iceburg lettuce - $2.97
Tomatos - $2.42 ($6.55 kg)
Siouxie is offline  
Old Jan 21st 2016, 3:07 pm
  #665  
I need a walk
 
Stinkypup's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Location: Okanagan
Posts: 4,899
Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I did some shopping the other day at Walmarts for my son, as he wasn't feeling well, stocking up on a few bit and pieces. Not a typical shop but I'll try and remember to post next time I go.

Pkt of 5 chicken breasts - $10.00
Villagio bread - $3.38
Heinz Tomato Soup - $0.78
Can Tuna fish - $1.88
Dry pasta - $1.24
Cheese - $7.97
Phili cream cheese $3.97
Carrots - $1.97
Bag of Onions - 1.97
Bananas -$1.02 (1.48kg)
Teabags (own brand) $1.97
Digestive Biscuits - $2.00
Baked Beans (Heinz) $0.76
Folgers Coffee - $10.97
Ginger - $0.18
Ham - $5.00
Eggs - $2.85
Salad dressing - $2.77
Frozen Fries - $1.97
Dads Cookies - $1.97
Marmite - $3.56
Iceburg lettuce - $2.97
Tomatos - $2.42 ($6.55 kg)
That is cheap marmite- I paid $4.99- either one is a rip off tiddly pot of it- way cheaper and plastic squeezeable large containers in the UK
Stinkypup is offline  
Old Jan 21st 2016, 8:17 pm
  #666  
me/moi
 
Shard's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 24,539
Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Why have the price of veggies gone up?
Shard is offline  
Old Jan 21st 2016, 9:43 pm
  #667  
Dichotomus tinker
 
not2old's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,686
not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by Shard
Why have the price of veggies gone up?
No expert on this one, but it would seem that in Canada, since out of season veggies are imported from the USA, the fact that the Canadian dollar has dropped, veggie prices are more expensive, a reason to increase prices to whatever folks will pay or the greedy distributor can profit.
not2old is offline  
Old Jan 21st 2016, 11:10 pm
  #668  
Slob
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Ottineau
Posts: 6,342
Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by not2old
No expert on this one, but it would seem that in Canada, since out of season veggies are imported from the USA, the fact that the Canadian dollar has dropped, veggie prices are more expensive, a reason to increase prices to whatever folks will pay or the greedy distributor can profit.
It's partly down to exchange rates and partly down to climatic conditions (drought) in agricultural bits of the USA.

As I mentioned in a previous post, people could mitigate the rising cost of groceries by not buying stuff they won't use.

As an example, my wife decided to make a curry last night (she'd picked up some chicken on sale). We had several jars of curry sauce in the pantry. Having checked the dates on them, they all went in the bin. That's about $20 of wasted food.
Souvy is offline  
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 12:15 am
  #669  
Oscar nominated
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 52,291
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by Souvy
several jars of curry sauce in the pantry. Having checked the dates on them, they all went in the bin. That's about $20 of wasted food.
Sharwoods, VH, those sorts?

I thought I was the only one that used 'cheats' like that.

I just found a couple with December on. I was surprised at that as I thought they all went some way ahead. I must have used some past their dates before with no ill effect.
BristolUK is offline  
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 12:25 am
  #670  
Slob
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Ottineau
Posts: 6,342
Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Sharwoods, VH, those sorts?

I thought I was the only one that used 'cheats' like that.

I just found a couple with December on. I was surprised at that as I thought they all went some way ahead. I must have used some past their dates before with no ill effect.
That sort of stuff, yes.

December would have been OK. Stuff with a 2014 date, probably not.

That's just an invitation to
Souvy is offline  
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 12:57 am
  #671  
Slightly Canadian
 
Atlantic Xpat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland
Posts: 10,130
Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by Souvy
It's partly down to exchange rates and partly down to climatic conditions (drought) in agricultural bits of the USA.

As I mentioned in a previous post, people could mitigate the rising cost of groceries by not buying stuff they won't use.

As an example, my wife decided to make a curry last night (she'd picked up some chicken on sale). We had several jars of curry sauce in the pantry. Having checked the dates on them, they all went in the bin. That's about $20 of wasted food.
That's essentially it.

The other mitigation strategy is to eat seasonable vegetables & fruit rather than expecting to eat strawberres & salad 365 days of the year. So root vegetables are the thing for the winter!

I keep meaning to research a better vegetable storage solution - other the the fridge. Back in the day, root vegetables were kept for months in root cellars. Yet potatoes in a bag in the garage sprout in a month or so. Some sort of dark, insulated storage box vented to the outside air is what I'm thinking of.
Atlantic Xpat is offline  
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 1:14 am
  #672  
Assimilated Pauper
 
dbd33's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 40,024
dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
That's essentially it.

The other mitigation strategy is to eat seasonable vegetables & fruit rather than expecting to eat strawberres & salad 365 days of the year. So root vegetables are the thing for the winter!

I keep meaning to research a better vegetable storage solution - other the the fridge. Back in the day, root vegetables were kept for months in root cellars. Yet potatoes in a bag in the garage sprout in a month or so. Some sort of dark, insulated storage box vented to the outside air is what I'm thinking of.
We looked at buying some land on which there was a root cellar. The owner had created it by digging a big hole, maybe 20' diameter, and then lining it with tyres filled with earth. The tyres continued above the ground, leaning in to form a roof. It was large enough to stand up in. He gave us some garlic that he said had been in there for two winters; it was fine.

So, if you happen upon a couple of hundred tyres and are inclined to dig ...
dbd33 is offline  
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 1:18 am
  #673  
Slightly Canadian
 
Atlantic Xpat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland
Posts: 10,130
Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by dbd33
We looked at buying some land on which there was a root cellar. The owner had created it by digging a big hole, maybe 20' diameter, and then lining it with tyres filled with earth. The tyres continued above the ground, leaning in to form a roof. It was large enough to stand up in. He gave us some garlic that he said had been in there for two winters; it was fine.

So, if you happen upon a couple of hundred tyres and are inclined to dig ...
I neither have 100 tires nor the inclination to dig. (Although I do have a friend with all kinds of excavation equipment). No I'm thinking of something I can build in one of the garages.
Atlantic Xpat is offline  
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 1:24 am
  #674  
Slob
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Ottineau
Posts: 6,342
Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
That's essentially it.

The other mitigation strategy is to eat seasonable vegetables & fruit rather than expecting to eat strawberres & salad 365 days of the year. So root vegetables are the thing for the winter!

I keep meaning to research a better vegetable storage solution - other the the fridge. Back in the day, root vegetables were kept for months in root cellars. Yet potatoes in a bag in the garage sprout in a month or so. Some sort of dark, insulated storage box vented to the outside air is what I'm thinking of.
Brown paper bags seem to be the thing. Mustn't let stuff freeze through.
Souvy is offline  
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 1:25 am
  #675  
Assimilated Pauper
 
dbd33's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 40,024
dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I neither have 100 tires nor the inclination to dig. (Although I do have a friend with all kinds of excavation equipment). No I'm thinking of something I can build in one of the garages.
We ate vegetables from the garden up to the end of November, I believe one presevation trick was to use buckets of sand for carrots and parsnips. I'll ask.
dbd33 is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.