Groceries

Old Jan 14th 2016, 11:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

I've not used it as it's not offered at our local store, but Save On (Jimmy Pattison as everyone likely knows owns it, and he was mentioned up thread) does offer shop online and pick up in store in select stores. Not sure how long it takes them, and how far in advance you have to order.

I think Wal-Mart may also be testing shop online and pick up in store or lockers in Toronto, but can't recall 100%.

Save On is order by 12 noon and pick up same day after 4pm.

http://www.saveonfoods.com/shop/delivery-area-map
Old Jan 14th 2016, 12:12 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I think Wal-Mart may also be testing shop online and pick up in store
Once walmart come in there is no competing on price. They seem to be willing to lose money to weed out competition.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 12:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Once walmart come in there is no competing on price. They seem to be willing to lose money to weed out competition.
I was partially right, but you don't need to go to a Wal-mart store, they have locations in places like 7-11 for pick up as well. But appears to be mostly if not exclusively for non-perishables.

Walmart.ca Help Centre: Grab & Go | Checkout

And from what I can tell, Wal-Mart has no issues losing money in the short term for long term gain, but they have failed a few times, most notably in Germany I believe it was. They adapt to local markets well. In the US they have over the last 18 years been building a chain of smaller grocery only stores, Neighborhood Market.

I think the have around 700 of those stores. They are betting big down there on groceries, and even seem to be holding ground in ultra competitive So. California against the long established players where others have failed, most recently Haggen, A Bellingham based grocer who for whatever reason decided to expand into California with 67 stores, and a smaller expansion into AZ and NV and nearly ruined the company and sent them into bankruptcy. But Wal-Mart will likely be the winner long term, if anything they have reduced prices, but of course also reduced wages to a point grocery stores are no longer a well paid career.

Amazon offers some sort of pick up service, but never tried it since it seems they only offer pick up at Canada Post, at least in this area.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 14th 2016 at 12:27 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 1:10 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Parnell
How would you in turn get out of your house to go to a bricks and mortar supermarket?
One keeps an eye on the forecast and goes shopping the day before an expected storm. It's being prepared and flexible whereas booking delivery for a particular date and then discovering a forecast change makes it awkward isn't.
Old Jan 20th 2016, 6:38 pm
Account Closed

Haven't been doing much grocery shopping these days, but prices have gone up a bit, especially with veggies...

3 tomatoes $6.10

2 broccoli crowns 6.54

3 zucchini 4.71

celery sticks 2.99

celery stalks 2.87

sandwich meat, turkey 6.39

loaf of brad 2.49 (I remember the previous price, up from 1.99)

1lb carrots 2.49 (I think they used to hover around 1.99)

12 eggs 4.99

4 liters milk 4.69
Old Jan 20th 2016, 8:20 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't been doing much grocery shopping these days, but prices have gone up a bit, especially with veggies...

3 tomatoes $6.10 - £2

2 broccoli crowns 6.54 - dunno

3 zucchini 4.71 - dunno

celery sticks 2.99 - £1

celery stalks 2.87

sandwich meat, turkey 6.39 - £3

loaf of brad 2.49 (I remember the previous price, up from 1.99) - £1

1lb carrots 2.49 (I think they used to hover around 1.99) - £0.60

12 eggs 4.99 - £2.50

4 liters milk 4.69. - £2 (for 4.5l)
Expensive compared to UK. I'll put £ in for comparison, just double to get C$.

Those must be big tomatoes!

Last edited by Shard; Jan 20th 2016 at 8:23 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2016, 9:01 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Shard
Expensive compared to UK. I'll put £ in for comparison, just double to get C$.

Those must be big tomatoes!
They are not very big.... The price of the buggers have just gone through the roof.

Price was 8.80/kg it looks like from the receipt.

The little cherry tomatoes that were 2.99/pack 6 months ago were on sale for 4.49, the sale price 6 months ago was 2 for $5.

The one thing that never seems to increase in price is banana's, still the reliable 0.78/lb...lol
Old Jan 20th 2016, 9:09 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

They are not very big.... The price of the buggers have just gone through the roof.

Price was 8.80/kg it looks like from the receipt.

The little cherry tomatoes that were 2.99/pack 6 months ago were on sale for 4.49, the sale price 6 months ago was 2 for $5.

The one thing that never seems to increase in price is banana's, still the reliable 0.78/lb...lol
Just had a look online and the price here goes from £2 kg for standard tomatoes to £12 kg for the most exotic ones! These days I only get baby plum tomatoes (smaller than cherry tomatoes) and I guess they are about £3-4 kg. Tomatoes are the one item that I must have at all times!
Old Jan 20th 2016, 9:19 pm
Account Closed

Just had a look online and the price here goes from £2 kg for standard tomatoes to £12 kg for the most exotic ones! These days I only get baby plum tomatoes (smaller than cherry tomatoes) and I guess they are about £3-4 kg. Tomatoes are the one item that I must have at all times!
I don't think these are exotic, but I am no tomato expert. Just your normal usual hothouse variety.

Looking online which isn't the most useful since our local store isn't included and the Vancouver/Fraser Valley area seem to pay a bit less, roma and field are in the 6-7 per kg range.

I don't see any other varieties offered.
Old Jan 20th 2016, 9:21 pm
me/moi

Will you have a garden when you move to the Wack? Maybe you can grow your own toms?!
Old Jan 20th 2016, 9:26 pm
Account Closed

Will you have a garden when you move to the Wack? Maybe you can grow your own toms?!
We will have a patio and will be able to grow a couple pots of tomatoes. I tried last summer in this place as we are ground level and have a little spot in front, but not enough sun, the large pines on the lot next door blocks the sun, and we also face west so no sun until pretty late in the day.

The new place will have a lot of sun, so I think will do better this summer.
Old Jan 20th 2016, 9:54 pm
me/moi

Maybe some produce will be cheaper out there, since there is more farmland around.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 5:22 am
BE Enthusiast

paw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond repute

We will have a patio and will be able to grow a couple pots of tomatoes. I tried last summer in this place as we are ground level and have a little spot in front, but not enough sun, the large pines on the lot next door blocks the sun, and we also face west so no sun until pretty late in the day.

The new place will have a lot of sun, so I think will do better this summer.
This is worth a try if you like tomatoes. They grow great in hanging baskets just let them fall over the side and they need no support. We had a great crop from a small area. You can buy "proper" upside down growing bags but we didn't bother.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 9:43 am
Account Closed

I never thought of that. Good idea and will givw it a try this spring. Would be easier and less cluttering of the ground.

Thanks for the idea....

Originally Posted by paw339
This is worth a try if you like tomatoes. They grow great in hanging baskets just let them fall over the side and they need no support. We had a great crop from a small area. You can buy "proper" upside down growing bags but we didn't bother.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 11:20 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Cost of veggies has gone mental. Cauliflowers are about 7 bucks for a small one. Celery was $5.49. I've got to get groceries tomorrow. I'll try to remember to post some of the prices.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.