Groceries

Old Jan 22nd 2016, 8:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Being apartment dwellers we can only provide a novelty amount of grown food, impossible to grow a seasons worth both due to lack of land and ability to grow and also limited storage none of which is good for long term (several month) storage.

Supposed in season foods are not much if any cheaper, carrots are not exactly cheap for example, and rarely does it say product of Canada, almost always says product of USA or Mexico.

In the summer when the BC grown stuff hits the stores, it's always higher priced then the imported stuff (maybe this year will be different) so no savings. Tried the farmers market a few times, but the premium for local food is so high, you can't find any savings there. Not paying 7/dozen for eggs anywhere.

Granted I have no idea how much parsnips are, but I don't like them, wife buys beets from time to time, but not any cheaper then other veggies.

I really don't think there is any in season stuff anymore for Canada, something like 70% of produce is now imported, and even the local grown stuff as said isn't exactly affordable.

Potatoes my wife likes, but we can't go through the 10 or 15 pound bags and so over pay for the small bags, and they still end up going bad before she can eat them all, so we stopped buying them.

I can't eat the things as they cause major digestive upset/discomfort for me, and not a food item I can eat.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 8:41 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
They’ll never know the unrestrained marvel of rolling into a curry house with a gang of mates after the pub closed and ordering various vindaloos, baltis and madras’ and every type of naan bread on the menu while washing it all down with pints of questionable lager. Happy days.

I remember those.. happy days indeed.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 8:44 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I happily take a normal or madras curry powder. It's what I use to make "my" curry. I've not seen Jamaican curry powder (or any kind) at Bulk Barn. I'm not sure there'd be anywhere else for it here.
google is your friend

'Mr goudas' or 'Grace' brands curry powder, types include, Jamaican as well as Madras & Trin-ee-dad(note spelling) can be found in every supermarket, including Soebys, No Frills, Food basics, Freshco etc. generally in the international food section

At Walmart

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/jamaican.../6000153706292

Last edited by not2old; Jan 22nd 2016 at 8:57 am. Reason: added link
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 10:15 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
We looked at buying some land on which there was a root cellar. The owner had created it by digging a big hole, maybe 20' diameter, and then lining it with tyres filled with earth. The tyres continued above the ground, leaning in to form a roof. It was large enough to stand up in. He gave us some garlic that he said had been in there for two winters; it was fine.

So, if you happen upon a couple of hundred tyres and are inclined to dig ...
Ahh, maybe that's what we should tell the bylaw officer, when he tells us to shift the tyres in the spring!
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 10:42 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
google is your friend

'Mr goudas' or 'Grace' brands curry powder, types include, Jamaican as well as Madras & Trin-ee-dad(note spelling) can be found in every supermarket, including Soebys, No Frills, Food basics, Freshco etc. generally in the international food section
But not in every province, don't forget that, and sometimes not every store in a province.

I don't remember the brand but someone recommended the Rogan Josh for a Brand that was in Walmart but never the Rogan Josh.

People post on BE that such and such a product is in their store but others confirm it's not at a different store in the same province or not in another province.

I just updated another thread (Lobster) about High Liner fish that can be cooked in the bag. It's not available in the stores here even though plenty of high liner fish is.

I check out the international/Brit sections in Sobeys, Superstore and Walmart every time I'm there.

But thanks for the link to the Jamaican curry powder. I should at least be able to get that from an on line order.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 11:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
But not in every province, don't forget that, and sometimes not every store in a province.

I don't remember the brand but someone recommended the Rogan Josh for a Brand that was in Walmart but never the Rogan Josh.

People post on BE that such and such a product is in their store but others confirm it's not at a different store in the same province or not in another province.

I just updated another thread (Lobster) about High Liner fish that can be cooked in the bag. It's not available in the stores here even though plenty of high liner fish is.

I check out the international/Brit sections in Sobeys, Superstore and Walmart every time I'm there.

But thanks for the link to the Jamaican curry powder. I should at least be able to get that from an on line order.

So true. Stores stock to the local market, well some chains do anyhow and going into one locations then the next can be so different you almost think you may have gone to a different country...

There is one store in Vancouver that is part of a western chain, but if your looking for the usual products, your up the creek, but they do have a nice selection of Chinese food stuffs and meats and baked goods of that nature as well. But if your expecting what most of the chains stores offer, your will be saddened.

Go to a Save On in Surrey or Abbotsford and (last I was in one) and they have a lot of Indian food stuffs, go to the store here in Squamish and Indian food stuff is much smaller.

To to North Vancouver location and they have a huge organic produce section and huge sea food department, come to town, little organic section and nearly no sea food, but we have a better beef selection though.

Won't find milk (have not seen any anywhere anyhow) in bags out this way either......But not sure if the bags make to your coast, I've only been to Ontario, AB and BC and 2 of the 3 don't use bags.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 12:48 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
google is your friend

At Walmart

Jamaican Style Curry Powder | Walmart.ca

Ah bless, what a sheltered life you lead. No not in every supermarket, not even in Ontario the hub of the universe. Fortunately I can get to the city where such exotic items are sold, though I don't recognise those brands.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 12:57 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

It's interesting going into different Walmarts in Edmonton (it's more noticeable in Edmonton compared to Calgary) one will be geared to Flilpinos, another to East Indians etc etc. Makes for fwr more shopping choice.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 1:14 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
It's interesting going into different Walmarts in Edmonton (it's more noticeable in Edmonton compared to Calgary) one will be geared to Flilpinos, another to East Indians etc etc. Makes for fwr more shopping choice.
Ours is full of pies, crisps, chocolate,cake, fizzy pop and white bread and buns- the standard Walmarter's fayre I suppose- nothing so cosmopolitan as you Piff Poff
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 2:35 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Ours in similar but on a small scale, a small section of East Indian, a small section of Filipino.

All dry goods though and small, like 2 shelves for each. During East Indian holidays they will put in an extra couple of pallets in the main aisle.

Not sure if the Filipino section will last though, noticeable decline in the Filipino population over the last year.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 2:47 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I just heard on the news that vegetables and fruit have gone up 13% and lettuces 21%.

The shape of things to come I suspect!

Old Jan 22nd 2016, 3:15 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I just heard on the news that vegetables and fruit have gone up 13% and lettuces 21%.

And of course BC seems to be leading the pack according to the news reports out this way...

CBC has increases:

Lettuce 21%
Apples 11.8%
Pasta products 9.5%
Oranges 8.8%
Fresh or Frozen beef 5.8%

Inflation in Canada ticks up to 1.6% in December on higher food prices - Business - CBC News
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 10:02 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie

Indeed...all going a bit pear shaped now...
Old Jan 23rd 2016, 6:52 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

#3 yellow onions $1.77
Bok Choy $1.68
Great Big Ham. $21.16
Hungarian Saus
from Ukr Co-op $8.11

I cut a ham like that in 5 pieces and freeze 4, eat 1 at a time.
Attached Thumbnails Groceries-20160123_134346.jpg   Groceries-20160123_133556.jpg  
Old Jan 23rd 2016, 9:48 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by caretaker
#3 yellow onions $1.77
Bok Choy $1.68
Great Big Ham. $21.16
Hungarian Saus
from Ukr Co-op $8.11

I cut a ham like that in 5 pieces and freeze 4, eat 1 at a time.
Any idea of the weight for the ham?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.