Coronavirus

Old Mar 15th 2020, 7:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Piff Poff View Post
so what happens now? Do you all have to isolate, or just monitor yourselves?
There's muddle and confusion. As best I can tell, people who were known to have contact with the infected person are quarantined. People who are "mission critical" are quarantined. No one else is.
Old Mar 15th 2020, 7:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad View Post

it is clear we are moving away from a scientific based decision making process to what ever the masses feel will help and tit for tat politics.
Ahem. Trump refused the WHO test kits and will instead have the government buy newly developed kits from a Kushner enterprise, there's been a delay, perhaps causing deaths, due to the grift. Trump tried to buy the rights to a vaccine so that only people within the US could benefit from it, despite the US not being isolated from the rest of the world. Johnson's approach to the pandemic is to ignore it. We never had a "scientific based decision making process". That's only the fault of the masses to the extent that they voted for conservative parties.
Old Mar 15th 2020, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33 View Post
Ahem. Trump refused the WHO test kits and will instead have the government buy newly developed kits from a Kushner enterprise, there's been a delay, perhaps causing deaths, due to the grift. Trump tried to buy the rights to a vaccine so that only people within the US could benefit from it, despite the US not being isolated from the rest of the world. Johnson's approach to the pandemic is to ignore it. We never had a "scientific based decision making process". That's only the fault of the masses to the extent that they voted for conservative parties.
and retaliation in kind from the liberal Canadian government will help?
Old Mar 15th 2020, 8:02 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

US centric but finally an article with some context
How is that "context" when it's more likely it just hasn't properly "got there" yet?
Here's some context. In the two days since that article was published the number of deaths from the virus in the US has risen by 50%. And if you take away the deaths from that "poorly run" home, they have doubled.

Okay, so it doesn't compare to some other deaths. How many of deaths from other causes double in two days? There's some more context.

But if a new car was developed and then it turned out that some design fault was responsible for an annual number of deaths that wouldn't be happening if that new car hadn't entered the market and people carried on driving the other available cars would anyone be saying it doesn't matter because X number of the total deaths would die anyway?

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5 View Post
i can’t be the only one sick of hearing this sort of thing. I am not particularly at risk but I don’t understand how throwing the vulnerable under the bus for the sake of the economy can be calmly described as’context’.

what good is saving the vulnerable now
I'm not entirely sure but I think I may have heard something similar before.
Old Mar 15th 2020, 8:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

and retaliation in kind from the liberal Canadian government will help?
The Canadian government isn't really relevant. The US has accepted widespread infection for the benefit of the Trump family economy. Once the disease is prevalent there it'll spread all across Canada, Trudeau is like a State governor - he has some power but cannot completely offset the idiocy of the Federal government.
Old Mar 15th 2020, 8:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

US centric but finally an article with some context

https://newcriterion.com/blogs/dispa...mpared-to-what
"Heather Mac Donald is the Thomas W. Smith fellow at the Manhattan Institute and author of The Diversity Delusion (St. Martin’s Press) and The War on Cops (Encounter)"

RWNJ.

Old Mar 15th 2020, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I'm not entirely sure but I think I may have heard something similar before.
Please avoid snipping my quotes in such a way as to take them out of context or misrepresent me. Thank you

full quote is ‘what good is saving the vulnerable now if they end of dying anyway from not having the ability to earn a living or lack retirement savings?’ Which is a little more nuanced, don’t you think?

Last edited by Engineer_abroad; Mar 15th 2020 at 8:42 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2020, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Okay, so it doesn't compare to some other deaths. How many of deaths from other causes double in two days? There's some more context.
But this is why the numbers themselves are so important. Using relative comparisons like doubled, 100% more etc. is non helpful and alarmist.

When the numbers double from 11 to 21, like they did in the UK the other day, the numbers are still small.

If it doubles from 10,000 to 20,000 that is more significant.
Old Mar 15th 2020, 9:04 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

But this is why the numbers themselves are so important. Using relative comparisons like doubled, 100% more etc. is non helpful and alarmist.
When the numbers double from 11 to 21, like they did in the UK the other day, the numbers are still small.
Absolutely, it's not the value of the number but the rate of increase of fatalities that provides evidence of the future potential expansion of this threat.
It's what a doubling overnight actually conveys in real terms.
The maths aren't difficult. Left unchecked, and with a potential exposure to the virus of say only 50% of the population of Canada (38M) say 20M and a conservative rate of death of 1% we arrive at a total number of fatalities of 200,000 and ten times that in the US. This is why there's a worldwide effort to stamp the virus out everywhere, because today's potential availability of extensive travel will ensure that if it isn't stamped out everywhere then it'll recurr again and again.
Governments are buying time until a suitable vaccine becomes avaiable.
Old Mar 15th 2020, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Damn virus is going to cause me to lose a job I bet. My luck is never on the good side....lol

Anyhow I suspect Canada will up the border closings this coming week, I wouldn't expect international flights to continue at this rate, they may hold off on the land border but at this point I am not confident that will even stay open in the coming weeks.

Makes me think, should I stay in Canada or go home and be closer to family in the event something happens to my parents, tough decision to make.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6680382/c...QYAOR7jSGDpZCg

313 confirmed cases in Canada, with 25,000 tested.

BC has done around 6,000 tests as of Friday.

Old Mar 15th 2020, 9:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Quebec is ordering gathering places like bars, movies, gyms and suck to close. Restaurants can stay open but must reduce capacity 50%.

Quebec premier only wants people to "“We should go out only to work, buy bread, go to the pharmacy, get health care, take a walk or go help people age 70 and up.”

Old Mar 15th 2020, 10:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Westjet is going to cut 40% of its domestic seat capacity and 60% of its international capacity. They did not confirm how many people would be laid off but flight attendant union seems to think 50% of flight attendants will be laid off.

people are dumb

Last edited by Jsmth321; Mar 15th 2020 at 11:03 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2020, 11:00 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

My project which is based in Germany has instructed all non-German people (c.75%) to return and work from home. We're coming toward the end of our project so we're down from 100+ people to <10 people but still need to keep these few key people on board. I literally will be paid for doing nothing but I realise that I am one of the lucky ones. My wife has a part-time job which she does as a hobby (women's fashion shop) and she says she has had literally zero customers in the past few days.

2020 is going to be a year of chaos and heartache.
Old Mar 15th 2020, 11:25 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Please avoid snipping my quotes in such a way as to take them out of context or misrepresent me. Thank you
full quote is ‘what good is saving the vulnerable now if they end of dying anyway from not having the ability to earn a living or lack retirement savings?’ Which is a little more nuanced, don’t you think?
Not in the least.

Not to mention that huge assumption regarding lack of resources.

Last edited by BristolUK; Mar 15th 2020 at 11:28 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2020, 11:27 pm
Oscar nominated

Give it another couple of days and see it at least double again until it gets to something more "significant"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.