Coronavirus

Old Aug 8th 2021, 8:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Danny B
‘If this tweet is true regarding Iceland, we might be stuck with new infections (albeit mild with no deaths) for a bit longer.

https://twitter.com/eliaseythorsson/...195023878?s=21
I doubt we will ever see a day where COVID is at 0 anywhere in the world.

But as long as the vaccines keep people out of hospital and dying, that is all that matters at the end of the day.

In the US current 99.5% of deaths are unvaccinated, so vaccines are still doing a wonderful job at preventing death.

It sucks the vaccines are turning out not to prevent transmission as well as was hoped but as long as they remain effective against death and severe cases, its still a win in my book.

Old Aug 9th 2021, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
.................. and case numbers still rising in BC, with the Okanagan having more than half of the cases, new and hospitalised.

We're not out of the woods yet, by any means.

I still think that it is going to be like the flu ................ annual shots required for the new variants developed since the last time. Only this time, it will be everyone who has to have the covid shot, not like the flu vaccine where usually just over 60s/65s, and certain occupations getting it for free.
And this could be where we end up with issues. I wonder how many of the vaccinated will start to ease off and not bother with boosters as we go on. I'm sure there are those that started to get the flu shot and then gave up on it. Lets hope this isn't the case as we don't want this constant see saw effect of restrictions that we have been seeing.
Old Aug 9th 2021, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by printer
And this could be where we end up with issues. I wonder how many of the vaccinated will start to ease off and not bother with boosters as we go on. I'm sure there are those that started to get the flu shot and then gave up on it. Lets hope this isn't the case as we don't want this constant see saw effect of restrictions that we have been seeing.
It depends ........... all the people I know who are over 65 and began to get the flu shot at that age have continued to get it every year, either from the pharmacist or their doctor. And they talk about it!

It is of course advertised very obviously in all pharmacies, and in their flyers.

We've been having it for many years, all but 1 year from our doctor .............. that year, the vaccines were late coming in and we were going away so made a quick visit to the local pharmacy.

Our doctor's office has just a concerted effort to get all patient emails or contact numbers, and I will be interested to see if they also use that to contact patients who are eligible every year.
Old Aug 9th 2021, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

It depends ........... all the people I know who are over 65 and began to get the flu shot at that age have continued to get it every year, either from the pharmacist or their doctor. And they talk about it!

It is of course advertised very obviously in all pharmacies, and in their flyers.

We've been having it for many years, all but 1 year from our doctor .............. that year, the vaccines were late coming in and we were going away so made a quick visit to the local pharmacy.

Our doctor's office has just a concerted effort to get all patient emails or contact numbers, and I will be interested to see if they also use that to contact patients who are eligible every year.
My doctors is not that efficient so will be interesting to see if that changes but i doubt it. My wife heard nothing back after a test and when she called they said "oh yes the doctor needs to speak with you" I was supposed to get a call after a CT scan for results, that call never came but i know it was all good because it came up on my online portal a week later. Their admin leaves a lot to be desired and i would change doctors if it were that easy but it took a long time to get one.
Old Aug 9th 2021, 4:02 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

My doctors is not that efficient so will be interesting to see if that changes but i doubt it. My wife heard nothing back after a test and when she called they said "oh yes the doctor needs to speak with you" I was supposed to get a call after a CT scan for results, that call never came but i know it was all good because it came up on my online portal a week later. Their admin leaves a lot to be desired and i would change doctors if it were that easy but it took a long time to get one.
Sounds like my doctors office, I don't seem them reminding anyone of anything, but in general my doctors office doesn't give vaccines, if you ask for most vaccines they direct you to the pharmacy next door.

So I don't seem them really ever doing COVID vaccines myself or even reminding people since they can't even remind people of appointments or make calls to tell you an appointment was cancelled due to no doctor being available.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Aug 9th 2021 at 4:07 am.
Old Aug 9th 2021, 5:28 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see that as much of a danger. "The vaccinated" have already crossed the mental threshold of wanting to be vaccinated, whatever the chain of reasoning that led them there. 'Keeping' vaccinated, with boosters, pushes through an already opened door.

But if this Covid-19 thing goes on for many years, one might get careless. I missed the annual flu jab at work a few years ago, for logistical reasons rather than any objection to it. And boy, did I end up regretting that -- caught 5 days of the worst flu bout I'd had in a couple of decades. Never again. :-(
Old Aug 9th 2021, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Wait for increase in numbers

Major line-ups at the border crossings this morning as Americans are desperate to get into Canada.

Numbers of cases rising in both the US and Canada, with even fully vaccinated people getting covid, albeit mildly.
Old Aug 9th 2021, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wait for increase in numbers

Major line-ups at the border crossings this morning as Americans are desperate to get into Canada.

Numbers of cases rising in both the US and Canada, with even fully vaccinated people getting covid, albeit mildly.
I've been watching the UK numbers but they seem to think its now on track. It will be interesting to see if Scotlands decision to keep masks after relaxing most other things will have an effect on their numbers going forward. Even though UK numbers and hospital admissions are up the media comments and i quote:This comes as Covid hospital admissions in England have plunged by 82 per cent from the winter peak - raising hopes Brits may soon be able to put the pandemic behind them.

Despite doomsday predictions of soaring cases and hospitalisations over the summer, infections appear to have stabilised at around 30,000 a day.
And with 86million jabs doled out, the UK may well be turning the tide on the virus.

On January 22, 4,096 people were in critical care beds suffering with Covid, while 1,041 deaths were recorded.

As of the end of July, 817 people were in ICU battling the virus. There were 131 fatalities reported on the same day.
Old Aug 11th 2021, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Looks like Moderna will be opening a facility in Canada in the next couple of years, not known how much the Canadian offered money wise or location yet.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mod...agne-1.6135759
I don't know that I would expect the facility to open "in the next 2 years".
Old Aug 11th 2021, 6:48 am
Account Closed

After seeing the cost of PCR travel tests at Seattle airport, I don't think we will be traveling out of Canada anytime soon.

Sure they have a cheaper option at $75 but it can take up to 96 hours to get the results which doesn't seem compatible with the rule of 72 hours that Canada has, sure it could be sooner than 96 hours but would be risky, if you want to make sure you get the results back quick enough to travel, that PCR test is $250 each.

I hope this testing requirement doesn't last years because I would actually like to go see my family at some point, but the testing requirements are just out of this world expensive.
Old Aug 11th 2021, 1:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Covid infections on 130 flights into Canada during the 1-8 August.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Aug 11th 2021 at 2:03 pm.
Old Aug 11th 2021, 8:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

At last…vaccination passports are to be issued and will be the same throughout the Provinces. Probably available early fall.

Due to the rise in Covid infections it looks like Ontario will stay in Stage 3 for the foreseeable future.
Old Aug 11th 2021, 9:31 pm
Account Closed

The surge in BC is rather localized to the Kelowna region, nearly half of new cases for the province are in Kelowna region.

Nearly all of the new cases are in people not vaccinated or only 1 vaccination and primarily in the 20 to 40 age group.

Seems to suggest the vaccination rate in Kelowna area may be lower than other regions of the province.

Kelowna General Hospital due to rising COVID patients is cancelling some surgeries to free up capacity, majority of those hospitalized are younger adults, not fully vaccinated or not vaccinated at all.

Overall 82.1% of the provinces eligible (12 years & over) population is fully vaccinated with 71% 12+ fully vaccinated.

I am pleased they are doing regional restrictions this time around rather than provincial, maybe it will pressure people to vaccinate if they see only their area is being restricted and the rest of the province isn't, in a province of this size with localized outbreaks, makes no sense to punish the entire province.

Old Aug 12th 2021, 12:31 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
At last…vaccination passports are to be issued and will be the same throughout the Provinces. Probably available early fall.

Due to the rise in Covid infections it looks like Ontario will stay in Stage 3 for the foreseeable future.
?? They are working on a vaccine 'passport' potential for international travel.. .. unless you have a link that shows otherwise? (Links to the pertinent information always helps)

OTTAWA - Immigration Minister Marco Mendicino says fully vaccinated Canadians will soon be able to get a government document that will certify their COVID-19 vaccine history for the purpose of international travel.
Ontario and Alberta have both said they will not provide provincial vaccine passports or make vaccination mandatory for anything, while other provinces have been more open to the notion of at least having a passport option.
https://www.cp24.com/news/federal-go...avel-1.5543269

and official:

The secure, standardized proof of vaccination announced on August 11 is being developed in partnership with provinces and territories to facilitate travel outside of Canada.
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...ine-proof.html

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 12th 2021 at 12:33 am.
Old Aug 12th 2021, 1:40 am
Account Closed

I wonder how this vaccine passport at the federal level will differ from the electronic vaccination record I can already access?

I just hope by next summer the testing requirement to return is gone, I really would like to visit my parents but the testing is just too expensive in order to guarantee results in 72 hours or less so while technically travel is allowed, functionally it is not unless you can afford the testing.

Everyone in BC with an MSP number and cell phone has the ability to get their vaccine record online on the secure government website or print a pdf of it, so what will this vaccine passport provide that isn't already available in BC?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.