Coronavirus

Old Aug 2nd 2021, 5:43 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

[QUOTE=printer;13035773]That's something that will no doubt be the subject of much debate and controversy. There have been suggestions that those employed but not jabbed could work from home in some cases but there still leaves a gap where those that are unable to get vaccinated for whatever reason would then be prevented from earning a wage and are they then going to claim government handouts because they have been forced to quit work?[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by dbd33
Yes. If someone can't have a vaccination and so cannot work, they have a disability and so should be eligible for the same pittance as someone who cannot work due to having MS or cystic fibrosis or whatever other condition.

Originally Posted by bats
if a condition prevents someone from taking part in day to day activities then they have a disability. Disabilities can be permanent or temporary, if COVID means you can't leave the house, go to the shops, go to work, interact with people, then you have a disability.

DBD to me seemed to be suggesting people who have a health condition that prevents them from getting a vaccine, who are presently working and doing their day to day activities just fine, should lose their jobs and thus income over it and sent into poverty.

Old Aug 2nd 2021, 5:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
A health condition that precludes vaccination doesn't make somebody physically incapable of leaving the house. I can leave the house, I could go to the shops, I could go to work (if I had a job), I could interact with peope - vaccinated or not! I'm not disabled just because I am unable to be vaccinated at this time.

Good luck to our esteemed members if they try to put in a claim for ODSP, based on their inability to be vaccinated... https://www.cleo.on.ca/en/publicatio...-my-disability
Not to mention in many provinces disability is needs based. BC is payer of last resort, wont get disability easily here, first you need to be eligible for general assistance, which means basically being destitute, have credit, savings, investments, property that exceeds the asset limits your going to need to exhaust all those first.

Not to mention they would probably be homeless as housing portion of assistance in BC is a horrendously low $375/month and aside from BC Housing units, there is essentially nowhere in BC you can obtain housing for $375/month, and BC housing has a 7-10 year wait average from time of application to getting a unit.
Old Aug 2nd 2021, 12:18 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Just because someone is unable to receive the vaccine it doesn't mean they have a medical condition that precludes working (in some capacity); under Ontario rules they would not be classed as having a disability.
If the rule is that to go to work one must be vaccinated then people who cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons should be entitled to disability payments; "not healthy, can't work" is as good a definition of disability as any.
Old Aug 2nd 2021, 12:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Jsmth321;13036046]
Originally Posted by printer
That's something that will no doubt be the subject of much debate and controversy. There have been suggestions that those employed but not jabbed could work from home in some cases but there still leaves a gap where those that are unable to get vaccinated for whatever reason would then be prevented from earning a wage and are they then going to claim government handouts because they have been forced to quit work?[/QUOTE]

DBD to me seemed to be suggesting people who have a health condition that prevents them from getting a vaccine, who are presently working and doing their day to day activities just fine, should lose their jobs and thus income over it and sent into poverty.
Yes, that's right. People should not be "working and doing their day to day activities just fine" at the risk of other people's health. They should be vaccinated. If they cannot be vaccinated then they are disabled, just like someone who cannot work through autism or being in an iron lung or whatever.

Last edited by dbd33; Aug 2nd 2021 at 12:23 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2021, 1:38 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=dbd33;13036124]
Originally Posted by Jsmth321

Yes, that's right. People should not be "working and doing their day to day activities just fine" at the risk of other people's health. They should be vaccinated. If they cannot be vaccinated then they are disabled, just like someone who cannot work through autism or being in an iron lung or whatever.

Then you would classify my husband as disabled as he cannot get the vaccine due to his severe reaction to all flu vaccines as well as many other vaccines. He still goes out daily, interacts with people, has had COVID19 twice, once with hospitalization, but he wears a mask and takes precautions not to get reinfected. I don't agree that not being able to work if an employer mandates that all employees must be vaccinated to retain their job makes them disabled.
Old Aug 2nd 2021, 2:34 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Quote cock-ups alert!
Old Aug 2nd 2021, 3:33 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

If the rule is that to go to work one must be vaccinated then people who cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons should be entitled to disability payments; "not healthy, can't work" is as good a definition of disability as any.
Not according to Ontario.

"To get income support from ODSP, most people must meet the ODSP definition of a "person with a disability".

This means that an approved health professional, such as a doctor, confirms that:
  • you have a physical or mental health problem that is expected to last a year or more, and
  • your health problem limits your ability to work, look after yourself, or do daily activities at home or in the community.
The law also says that your health problem must be substantial and it must limit your abilities in a substantial way."
Old Aug 2nd 2021, 3:38 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete

Then you would classify my husband as disabled as he cannot get the vaccine due to his severe reaction to all flu vaccines as well as many other vaccines. He still goes out daily, interacts with people, has had COVID19 twice, once with hospitalization, but he wears a mask and takes precautions not to get reinfected. I don't agree that not being able to work if an employer mandates that all employees must be vaccinated to retain their job makes them disabled.
It was Dbd that made the comment, the quote section appears to have gone awry

I agree with you wholeheartedly - it doesn't make them disabled, it makes them unemployed!

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 2nd 2021 at 3:41 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2021, 5:05 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

It was Dbd that made the comment, the quote section appears to have gone awry

I agree with you wholeheartedly - it doesn't make them disabled, it makes them unemployed!
Pox on the quote function!
Old Aug 2nd 2021, 5:49 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Quote cock-ups alert!
What is odd, when I posted last night it didn't look like that on my end.

Old Aug 2nd 2021, 6:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

What is odd, when I posted last night it didn't look like that on my end.
Yup it was post 4096 that did the damage. I saw it early this morning but due to a recent update I can’t edit embolden text to regular font.
Old Aug 2nd 2021, 7:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

To be clear, I'm not arguing that the Ontario government currently considers unvaccinated people to have a disability. I'm saying that, if firms follow in the path of Disney et al in defining "fit to work" as including being vaccinated then the way to deal with people who can't be vaccinated is to treat them as being disabled. They would, in fact be disabled/handicapped/differently abled in not being able to pursue their work for medical reasons.

I am, of course, aware that there's not much in the way of support for the disabled in Canada but that's an unrelated issue.
Old Aug 2nd 2021, 10:04 pm
Account Closed

To be clear, I'm not arguing that the Ontario government currently considers unvaccinated people to have a disability. I'm saying that, if firms follow in the path of Disney et al in defining "fit to work" as including being vaccinated then the way to deal with people who can't be vaccinated is to treat them as being disabled. They would, in fact be disabled/handicapped/differently abled in not being able to pursue their work for medical reasons.

I am, of course, aware that there's not much in the way of support for the disabled in Canada but that's an unrelated issue.
In the US anyhow even the companies who are mandating vaccines have to provide reasonable accommodations to those who cannot receive the vaccine due to disability, health, closely held religious beliefs.

An employer would need to show that accommodations would pose an undue hardship, meaning a significant difficulty or expense.

The government set a rather high threshold for under hardship, it's a difficult one to meet.

So these companies just can't layoff or fire employees who have a protected reason for not getting the vaccine, they have provide reasonable accommodations or prove significant difficulty or expense to provide accommodations.

Old Aug 2nd 2021, 10:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

In the US anyhow even the companies who are mandating vaccines have to provide reasonable accommodations to those who cannot receive the vaccine due to disability, health, closely held religious beliefs.

An employer would need to show that accommodations would pose an undue hardship, meaning a significant difficulty or expense.

The government set a rather high threshold for under hardship, it's a difficult one to meet.

So these companies just can't layoff or fire employees who have a protected reason for not getting the vaccine, they have provide reasonable accommodations or prove significant difficulty or expense to provide accommodations.
There is no way that "religious belief" should be a factor in a person's life and certainly not a corporation's. Still, the easy way to meet these requirements is just to pay the few people involved to stay at home and do nothing much. Their careers will be nothing much but, hey ho, that's the way these things go; they'll be on the heap with the people who believe in work/life balance.
Old Aug 4th 2021, 12:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Not just Disney and WalMart! The band, Offspring, have fired their drummer for not being vaccinated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.