Coronavirus

Old Nov 19th 2020, 2:41 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
On the TV this morning they were saying it will be well into next year before most are able to get the vaccine.
yes, I imagine it will take ages to manufacture and distribute billions of these vials. Pfizer have 20m ready to be shipped as soon as they get approval. Lets hope these go to front line workers in the worst hit countries and not the Kardashians in Beverley hills.

Old Nov 19th 2020, 3:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
yes, I imagine it will take ages to manufacture and distribute billions of these vials. Pfizer have 20m ready to be shipped as soon as they get approval. Lets hope these go to front line workers in the worst hit countries and not the Kardashians in Beverley hills.
Money talks...especially in the US.
Old Nov 19th 2020, 3:22 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Yet more promising vaccine news to wake up to today, the beginning of the end is in sight
Too soon, it is perhaps the end of the beginning,,, now who said that....
Old Nov 19th 2020, 4:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

This was US specific but Dr. Fauci expects the general public to have access to vaccines mid 2021, before then just high risk groups.

I won't be surprised if its similiar in Canada, if anything they really need to focus on long term care homes and those who work in said homes first, then onto the next category and eventually the general public.

There is still one big question that won't be answered for a bit, how long will the vaccine provide protection, nobody seems to know yet.
Old Nov 19th 2020, 4:35 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
This was US specific but Dr. Fauci expects the general public to have access to vaccines mid 2021, before then just high risk groups.
I won't be surprised if its similiar in Canada, if anything they really need to focus on long term care homes and those who work in said homes first, then onto the next category and eventually the general public.
There is still one big question that won't be answered for a bit, how long will the vaccine provide protection, nobody seems to know yet.
I should apologise Jsmith. Back in the spring I told you to calm down, this will last a couple of months and we'll just ride it out..... I may have underestimated the problem.
Old Nov 19th 2020, 6:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
I should apologise Jsmith. Back in the spring I told you to calm down, this will last a couple of months and we'll just ride it out..... I may have underestimated the problem.
It got worse than even I imagined it would, I never imagined it to be this bad and I wasn't exactly optimistic either....

Old Nov 19th 2020, 7:30 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
It got worse than even I imagined it would, I never imagined it to be this bad and I wasn't exactly optimistic either....
And it's likely to get worse still.
The initial warning that 2-3 million could die in the US from this virus is dictated by the mathematics of contagion.
Efforts until now have been made, not to reduce the number of potential deaths, but to extend the timescale over which the infection spreads.
It's been done for two reasons. Chief among these has been the need to protect health services to prevent them being overwhelmed, but also to give industry time to invent a method or vaccine to deal with or prevent infection in the first place.
Now that infection is widespread within the US, I think we can see an extensive increase in the rate of infection. Where the death rate is between 0.5-1.5% of those infected you don't need to be a PhD in advanced statistics to realise that the initial fears may well turn out to be true.

Last edited by dave_j; Nov 19th 2020 at 7:59 pm.
Old Nov 19th 2020, 7:57 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dave_j
The initial warning that 2-3 million could die in the US from this virus is dictated by the mathematics of contagion.
Efforts until now have been made, not to reduce the number of potential deaths, but to extend the timescale over which the infection spreads.
It's been done for two reasons. Chief among these has been the need to protect health services to prevent them being overwhelmed, but also to give industry time to invent a method or vaccine to deal with or prevent infection in the first place.
Now that infection is widespread within the US, I think we can see an extensive increase in the rate of infection. Where the death rate is between 1.5-1.5% of those infected you don't need to be a PhD in advanced statistics to realise that the initial fears may well turn out to be true.

I don't doubt it will especially with US thanksgiving coming up followed by Christmas.

BC will likely worsen as well over Christmas, people likely wont skip their celebrations and gather.

Might not be the best time to work in a long term care home either, there seems to be some struggling finding people to work in such places at the moment, but I wouldn't want to, its almost guaranteed you will get COVID working in one.
Old Nov 19th 2020, 8:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
Now that infection is widespread within the US, I think we can see an extensive increase in the rate of infection. Where the death rate is between 0.5-1.5% of those infected you don't need to be a PhD in advanced statistics to realise that the initial fears may well turn out to be true.

Not only the US...I think the figures will be dire in many countries come Jan/Feb...after TG, Christmas and NY.
Old Nov 19th 2020, 9:05 pm
Listen to the Music

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Not only the US...I think the figures will be dire in many countries come Jan/Feb...after TG, Christmas and NY.
I'm sure you're right, you cane only to look at the published rates of infection.
Old Nov 19th 2020, 11:05 pm
Account Closed

BC went hardcore today, some of the new rules.

Gathering restrictions have now been expanded province wise, people are not to have any gatherings except with those from the same household.

Masks are now mandatory in public places.

Companies being asked to suspend return to office and continue having employees work from home.

Pattern of transmission in workplaces, so businesses asked to reevaluate their safety plan and ensure compliance, lunch rooms and carpools being 2 sources of workplace transmission.

BC asking non-residents not to visit BC, and asking BC residents to stay within their region, only travel for essential reasons.

In person faith services have been suspended.

All community and social events to be cancelled for at least the next 2 weeks.

538 new cases, 1 death, and 219 patients in hospital.

One thing I don't fully understand is no gatherings, but schools are still in session.....

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Nov 20th 2020 at 12:45 am.
Old Nov 20th 2020, 5:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand how governments expect to enforce the "no gatherings at your household with people outside your household." There is no capacity to enforce such a rule and it is a gross violation of one's property rights. Obviously it will be easy to enforce things that stand out such as a house with 5+ cars in the drive and loud music, but the quieter gatherings (i.e. people who are careful to not make it obvious they are flouting the rules) will go on undetected.
Old Nov 20th 2020, 5:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Gozit
I don't understand how governments expect to enforce the "no gatherings at your household with people outside your household." There is no capacity to enforce such a rule and it is a gross violation of one's property rights. Obviously it will be easy to enforce things that stand out such as a house with 5+ cars in the drive and loud music, but the quieter gatherings (i.e. people who are careful to not make it obvious they are flouting the rules) will go on undetected.
They can’t...they are relaying on people using their common sense and sense of decency. Obviously some people don’t have either.
Old Nov 20th 2020, 5:45 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
they don't expect to enforce it , how can they? What they do expect is for people to understand why it is being asked and for them not to use bullshit excuses like "it is a gross violation of one's property rights" in order to spread around a deadly virus.

of course this has proven to be wild dream as people are blatantly more interested in their own selfish wants than actually stopping the spread
Old Nov 20th 2020, 6:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
they don't expect to enforce it , how can they? What they do expect is for people to understand why it is being asked and for them not to use bullshit excuses like "it is a gross violation of one's property rights" in order to spread around a deadly virus.

of course this has proven to be wild dream as people are blatantly more interested in their own selfish wants than actually stopping the spread
I wouldn't necessarily call it deadly. Only about 1% of the Cdn. population has tested positive and even less then that have died. Comparing it to the 1918 pandemic is a little ridiculous as people were literally dropping like flies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.