Coronavirus

Old Aug 5th 2020, 6:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Canada has signed deals for vaccines with Pfizer and Moderna, if all goes well shipments should occur in 2021 sometime.

Pfizer signed a deal last month with the US, to supply the first 100 million doses of their vaccine to the US.

Article.

Old Aug 5th 2020, 8:15 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Canada has signed deals for vaccines with Pfizer and Moderna, if all goes well shipments should occur in 2021 sometime.

Pfizer signed a deal last month with the US, to supply the first 100 million doses of their vaccine to the US.

Article.
How about a sportsman's bet?

I bet that there will not be a one time 100% effective COVID vaccine for the next 5 years. Instead, they will develop a similar vaccine to the flu shot that isn't 100% effective and that you need to have once a year. It will help, but it will not prevent you catching it.

I'm normally an optimist, but I really think that this thing is here to stay and all we can do is reduce the risk of catching it until science catches up.
Old Aug 5th 2020, 9:03 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
.... I bet that there will not be a one time 100% effective COVID vaccine for the next 5 years. Instead, they will develop a similar vaccine to the flu shot that isn't 100% effective and that you need to have once a year. It will help, but it will not prevent you catching it.

I'm normally an optimist, but I really think that this thing is here to stay and all we can do is reduce the risk of catching it until science catches up.
I think there is a high probability that you are correct, unless anyone succeeds in a new approach to vaccines, that work in a different way that traditional vaccines, for example a vaccine that works based on DNA or RNA, not just on the virus's protein shell.
Old Aug 5th 2020, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever it is I hope to get it!
Old Aug 5th 2020, 10:43 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone have any examples of temporary foreign workers and isolation? Like how is it done?

NB just had 15 days without new cases and for the last few days we've been completely free of active cases.
Today it's announced that four TFW tested positive, on day 10 of their isolation (before going to where they will be working) and it's apparently an example that it's working properly. The gov also announced that tracing was being done, which is a little bit of a contradiction on the efficiency of the system.

The thing is,right from the beginning it's been stated that it takes something like 5 or 6 days to develop (after exposure) but for a few people it's longer, ,so 14 days has been considered the 'safe' period for isolation.

So while it's possible they became exposed before they arrived and then tested positive on the 10th day, it's more likely that they - or at least one of them was exposed to it a few days after they arrived. Which must mean that somebody else was the carrier and exposed them while they were isolating.

It occurs to me, then, that wherever they are isolating, other people - most likely other TFWs - are arriving at different times. So someone coming to the end of their isolation and free of the virus, might actually become exposed to it from an infectious newcomer and then toddle off to where they are supposed to be working, unwittingly carrying it, asymptomatic.

To be truly efficient arrivals on different days should not be mixed at their isolation accommodation.
Old Aug 5th 2020, 11:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
How about a sportsman's bet?

I bet that there will not be a one time 100% effective COVID vaccine for the next 5 years. Instead, they will develop a similar vaccine to the flu shot that isn't 100% effective and that you need to have once a year. It will help, but it will not prevent you catching it.

Probably a good probability your right.

May also simply never be a 100% effective vaccine, and just be one of those we get annually, could maybe be combined with flu shot.

Really even that scenario is better then nothing.

I am not confident Canada will get a vaccine as quickly as other countries though, apparently we lack manufacturing capacity here, and the US, UK and other countries signed deals with these same companies before Canada, so presumably will also get deliveries sooner, Pfizer the article says promised their first 100 million doses to the US, so I guess Canada will see something after those first 100 million doses.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Aug 6th 2020 at 12:01 am.
Old Aug 6th 2020, 12:09 am
Account Closed

47 new cases since yesterday.

Hospitalizations are up to 9 with 6 in ICU

No new deaths

351 active cases

three long-term care or assisted living facilities have active outbreaks.

No new known community outbreaks but some public exposures including some flights.

""Younger people, in particular, may not fully understand why many of the activities they normally enjoy are no longer available, look different and require us to interact with each other in new ways," it read.""

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...5-bc-1.5675752
Old Aug 6th 2020, 10:58 pm
Account Closed

47 new cases

No new deaths

371 active cases (for comparison on July 6th there were 166 active cases)

11 in hospital with 5 of those in ICU

2 new outbreaks in long term care facilities, one in Vancouver and one in Richmond

Exposure warning issues for anyone who visited Lions Bay Beach Park July 26 to July 31

1,518 British Columbians in self-isolation due to exposure to COVID-19.

Health Minister seems a bit annoyed people cannot listen and stop doing large gatherings
Dix was blunt in his advice for anyone organizing or planning to attend large parties or gatherings in "the middle of a global pandemic."

"Enough. That's enough now."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...st-6-1.5677163
Old Aug 7th 2020, 2:17 am
Account Closed

At least 45 cases this week are linked to a party in the Vancouver area. 400 something people also having to self isolate because of that party where people attended that party, then went to other parties.

https://globalnews.ca/video/7256657/...ncouver-party/

Cases in the interior seem to have settled down at least.

1,143 (+11) cases in the Vancouver Coastal Health region

2,045 (+30) cases in the Fraser Health region

146 (0) cases in the Island Health region

385 (+1) cases in the Interior Health region

93 (+2) cases in the Northern Health region

69 (+3) cases of people who reside outside of Canada.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Aug 7th 2020 at 2:20 am.
Old Aug 7th 2020, 10:26 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone up for a pint?
Forbes - Another day, another Covid-19 outbreak traced back to a bar. In what seems to be a daily occurrence now as more countries and cities re-open their social drinking establishments, bars are increasingly solidifying their reputation as prime coronavirus transmission hot spots. Bar outbreaks have since happened in France, where one 19 year old with Covid-19 managed to infect 72 of his friends by partying at an over-packed bar in the small town of Quiberon. Just in the last few days, 16 people were diagnosed with Covid-19 after hundreds packed into a pub garden in Stone in England. Hundreds more who were at the pub had to be tested with many results still pending and the outbreak triggered a rush of closures of other businesses in the small town. Numerous other countries have reported bar outbreaks, including the U.S., Spain and South Korea.
Custodio Pinto, who runs the Crown and Anchor in Stone, Stoke-on-Trent, apologised on Facebook after at least 19 confirmed cases of Covid-19 were linked to the venue.Pinto wrote: “First and foremost, I would like to express my deepest regret for all the anguish, disruption and sadness that the events that occurred in the Crown and Anchor last month have caused to so many. I have lived in Stone since 2001 where we have raised our three children and it has always been nothing but the greatest pleasure to be part of this fantastic community. However, on July 18, I accept that I was simply not strong enough in enforcing the government’s Covid-19 secure rules, despite detailed preparation according to their guidelines. I regret I was complacent in enforcing these rules with the customers.”
Old Aug 7th 2020, 1:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Anyone up for a pint?
Sure, why not?

I'm having a Corona, what can I get you?

Old Aug 7th 2020, 2:31 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Sure, why not?

I went to a pub (a brewery taproom to be precise) last night. First time since pre-Covid. Social distancing rules very much followed - table service only & spaced out, no more than 6 to a table, servers in masks. We had to wait about 15 minutes for a table. It was in a building where the whole side is a roller door opening into a patio so even though we were sitting inside there was good airflow.

Of course, the context is that Newfoundland as of yesterday had zero cases reported of Covid. (& all cases in the past couple of months - 4 in total I think) have been linked to travel. I think I'd feel rather less safe going to a pub in an area with a higher incidence rate.
My feeling of being grateful for where I live were reinforced by conversations this morning with colleagues in Florida and India. The former went to a theme park yesterday (what I would consider a highly risky thing to do!) and the latter has been back in lockdown for x weeks & tomorrow is the first opportunity he has t go food shopping for a while.

This thing is not over yet. Not nearly.

Old Aug 7th 2020, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker
CTV's online poll shows 61% of parents fer sendin' their kids back to school in September, and 39% a'gin.

TODAY'S QUESTION

Will you keep your kids home from school in September?

Yes
1313 (39 %) No
2062 (61 %)Total number of votes: 3375
Interesting - that is precisely in line with a report I saw on the BBC a couple of weeks ago, from Wales IIRC, where actual attendance after schools reopened was down 40%.

I suspect that that 40% measure is a fairly accurate measure of how many people in the 30-50 year old range, are taking the pandemic seriously, and are restricting themselves to "lock down rules" even after businesses are allowed to reopen, with restrictions. I would guess that fewer younger people, and more older people are taking the pandemic seriously.
Old Aug 7th 2020, 3:16 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Sure, why not?

I'll have a Pale Ale Huruhuru
Old Aug 7th 2020, 3:20 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I'll have a Pale Ale Huruhuru
You pay extra for the huruhuru.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.