Coronavirus

Old Apr 23rd 2020, 4:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I am not sure what you mean by "leveling off", and I don't think you do either.

The US has been adding a steady 25,000 /day since the start of April, and the UK and Europe, if you add up all the countries, is still adding about that many every day too - with Spain, Italy. France, and Germany adding 2,000-2,500/day each and the UK adding 4,000, so those five countries alone are adding around 12,000-14,000/day - and then there are another 20+ countries to account for, so the aggregate of new cases per day in the UK and Europe is at least in the same ball-park as the US.

FWIW The US has also had significantly less than half the deaths reported in the UK and Europe.
The trouble is using facts doesn't allow for Trump bashing!
Old Apr 23rd 2020, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

I am not sure what you mean by "leveling off", and I don't think you do either.

The US has been adding a steady 25,000 /day since the start of April, and the UK and Europe, if you add up all the countries, is still adding about that many every day too - with Spain, Italy. France, and Germany adding 2,000-2,500/day each and the UK adding 4,000, so those five countries alone are adding around 12,000-14,000/day - and then there are another 20+ countries to account for, so the aggregate of new cases per day in the UK and Europe is at least in the same ball-park as the US.

FWIW The US has also had significantly less than half the deaths reported in the UK and Europe.
Well they say the UK has peaked? and that the deaths is Spain Italy etc are consistently decreasing.

I will admit that I am making assumptions about the US, as I think the case rate will steepen purely down to their attitude, however.......the news reported is biased so I should take that into account. Maybe I am jumping the gun a little, but I have a feeling things are going to get very bad there
Old Apr 23rd 2020, 5:11 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Well they say the UK has peaked? and that the deaths is Spain Italy etc are consistently decreasing.

I will admit that I am making assumptions about the US, as I think the case rate will steepen purely down to their attitude, however.. ....
But the curve in the US isn't steepening - the new numbers per day have been flat for three weeks. I think the "attitude" will affect the length of the "tail" .... I anticipate that the disease is not going to go away any time soon, and in the number of new infections in the US won't drop as fast or as far as other countries.

All that said, I think the the low population density, and the low usage of public transport across most of the US has impacted and will continue to impact how the disease spreads, and why some of the statistics in the US will be significantly different from other countries. All that said, the US can operate in ways that other countries cannot - hospitals in my area largely shut down more than a month ago, discharging patients, cancelling non-urgent surgery and laying off non-medical staff! Why? Because the staff were being offered contracts to go to New York City to help with exploding numbers. In the European Onion, countries shut down their borders, in the US resources could be moved around much more easily, and I can't imagine that happening in the EO to help Italy and Spain as things spiraled out of control - and indeed there has been complaining in Europe about the lack of support by Germany for Italy and Spain.
Old Apr 23rd 2020, 5:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting article

"Doctors treating those diagnosed with COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus, are seeing patients with clots throughout the body, including in the lungs and beneath the skin’s surface.:

Old Apr 24th 2020, 8:14 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Superior Poultry in Coquitlam, a sister plant of United Poultry which was closed earlier in Vancouver, has had 2 employees test positive. Some employees had been moving between the 2 plants and may account for the infection.
https://bc.ctvnews.ca/mobile/another...ltry-1.4909319
Old Apr 24th 2020, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond repute

But the curve in the US isn't steepening - the new numbers per day have been flat for three weeks. I think the "attitude" will affect the length of the "tail" .... I anticipate that the disease is not going to go away any time soon, and in the number of new infections in the US won't drop as fast or as far as other countries.

All that said, I think the the low population density, and the low usage of public transport across most of the US has impacted and will continue to impact how the disease spreads, and why some of the statistics in the US will be significantly different from other countries. All that said, the US can operate in ways that other countries cannot - hospitals in my area largely shut down more than a month ago, discharging patients, cancelling non-urgent surgery and laying off non-medical staff! Why? Because the staff were being offered contracts to go to New York City to help with exploding numbers. In the European Onion, countries shut down their borders, in the US resources could be moved around much more easily, and I can't imagine that happening in the EO to help Italy and Spain as things spiraled out of control - and indeed there has been complaining in Europe about the lack of support by Germany for Italy and Spain.
Yes, I've been watching this misinterpretation of the numbers in the USA for weeks, sitting here in mainland europe waiting for the irrational interpretations to wane. Its about the percentages not the total number that counts.

I do think it will be the grand vast amount of space in the USA that makes social distancing a breeze compared to EU. Wide side walks, wide streets, vast parking lots, large rooms, grand entry ways and hall ways, huge elevators, these spaces will really cut down the virus load in the air which people are breathing.
Old Apr 24th 2020, 6:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Transit in Metro Vancouver is cutting back and laying people off.

Gonna make it a bit harder for people to get to their essential jobs or appointments but with such reduced demand and revenue, they really have no other option.

Sky train capacity will be cut 15%-40% depending on time of day, this is on top of earlier capacity cuts of 17%-20% done previously.

18 bus routes will be suspended as of today, in mid May another 47 additional routes will be suspended and all existing routes will have frequency cut.

https://www.translink.ca/Schedules-a...e-Changes.aspx

Old Apr 25th 2020, 6:02 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

So much for my request to keep bloody politics out of this thread.
Old Apr 25th 2020, 6:27 pm
Account Closed

A Vancouver nurse's experience having COVID and being in the ICU

Old Apr 25th 2020, 6:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie

So much for my request to keep bloody politics out of this thread.
I have moved them for you...

Political Posts moved from the Coronavirus thread
Old Apr 25th 2020, 11:07 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

Thanks JG - you are a star
Old Apr 25th 2020, 11:08 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the situation in the easiest province to draw. The graphs for confirmed cases and for recoveries are quite similar. There is a fairly even split between genders and age groups as well. Mostly I wanted to post it because there's a hella picture of the virus, it's really bright!
https://regina.ctvnews.ca/8-new-sask...ered-1.4911901

Old Apr 26th 2020, 2:36 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Mostly I wanted to post it because there's a hella picture of the virus, it's really bright!
It’s a shocking looking evil thing- it doesn’t look at all fuzzy and friendly.

Surely the hardest thing in measuring the numbers of people affected is that not every country or even Province is using the same yardstick. We have no idea really about what protocol China was using, and certainly it would seem that a lot of older people who are dying are not being marked down as C19 victims, just ‘dead’.

Things are being eased for us a little in NB now, parks and golf courses and various recreational facilities are opening back up, but self distancing is still in place. We have had 7 days with no new cases, we’ve had no deaths! And nobody is in ICU. I so hope that we are not doing this too early. Nobody wants the borders to reopen anytime soon. My office is putting in place very long term plans to ensure a slow and safe return, before the general public are let back in. This hateful thing is going to be with us for an incredibly long time I fear.

NB took a lot of flack because the government closed everything down double quick and put everyone on lockdown, but it seems to have worked. They knew we didn’t have the resources to cope with a catastrophe so they sent us home. I applaud NB - it looks like we got it right
Old Apr 26th 2020, 4:29 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
NB took a lot of flack because the government closed everything down double quick and put everyone on lockdown, but it seems to have worked. They knew we didn’t have the resources to cope with a catastrophe so they sent us home. I applaud NB - it looks like we got it right

The big concern would be that the restrictions eased for the moment are so minor that when they don't result in anything bad, the next phase might be too much too soon.

Old Apr 26th 2020, 4:49 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

The big concern would be that the restrictions eased for the moment are so minor that when they don't result in anything bad, the next phase might be too much too soon.
Easing up a bit here from Monday, among other things we can have gatherings indoors and outdoors of max. 10 people. And we can have picnics again. I asked scouse if he'd like to go out for a picnic tomorrow. He answered 'not really'. I forgot that he doesn't like the bush, seems to think that anyone from the UK is bound to be stomped to death by a kangaroo or chomped by a poisonous snake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.