Coronavirus

Old Apr 29th 2020, 5:50 pm
  #1531  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 83,830
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
That too.

I went shopping on March 18th. Blood test on April 1st was the only time I went out since.

6 weeks tomorrow.

Compulsory to wear masks in the hospitals in NB now but they'll be giving you one upon entry.
I read the blue workshop towel/paper is quite effective. I fold a piece and place it into the mask. Can’t hurt and maybe it does help to filter out the virus.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Apr 30th 2020, 6:54 pm
  #1532  
Assimilated Pauper
 
dbd33's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 38,555
dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

At work now there's a clamp down on people who are working from home while having custody of children. It's been strongly suggested that staff who have school aged children should take a leave of absence until school resumes. That's a grim choice, no money for months or potentially no job at all.
dbd33 is offline  
Old Apr 30th 2020, 7:02 pm
  #1533  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 83,830
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by dbd33 View Post
At work now there's a clamp down on people who are working from home while having custody of children. It's been strongly suggested that staff who have school aged children should take a leave of absence until school resumes. That's a grim choice, no money for months or potentially no job at all.
I thought Ford said weeks ago that parents who have kids at home are to be allowed to work from home?

https://globalnews.ca/news/6683046/o...e-coronavirus/
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Apr 30th 2020, 7:05 pm
  #1534  
Slightly Canadian
 
Atlantic Xpat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland
Posts: 9,846
Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Newfoundland has published roadmap back to a version of normality. Double family bubbles effectively immediately. Frantic family and friends negotiations in progress. Shades of being picked last for footy teams at school. "No-one wants to be in my bubble".... :-)
Atlantic Xpat is offline  
Old Apr 30th 2020, 7:40 pm
  #1535  
BE Forum Addict
 
Paul_Shepherd's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,890
Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat View Post
Newfoundland has published roadmap back to a version of normality. Double family bubbles effectively immediately. Frantic family and friends negotiations in progress. Shades of being picked last for footy teams at school. "No-one wants to be in my bubble".... :-)
LOL Yeah I remember it well! no wonder Ive never had any interest in football after that trauma!

I can see this bubble thing putting a few noses out of joint!

Paul_Shepherd is offline  
Old Apr 30th 2020, 7:58 pm
  #1536  
Assimilated Pauper
 
dbd33's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 38,555
dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
I thought Ford said weeks ago that parents who have kids at home are to be allowed to work from home?

https://globalnews.ca/news/6683046/o...e-coronavirus/

I really don't think what the government says has any bearing on what happens in the workplace, Technically people can have maternity and even paternity leave, practically that's only for certain types of jobs. In this case people have been working from home but they're plainly trying to look after children at the same time and it's been judged not to be a success. The leave of absence is a pretty good deal; lots of people have been laid off and have no prospect of returning to work.
dbd33 is offline  
Old Apr 30th 2020, 8:05 pm
  #1537  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 83,830
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by dbd33 View Post
I really don't think what the government says has any bearing on what happens in the workplace, Technically people can have maternity and even paternity leave, practically that's only for certain types of jobs. In this case people have been working from home but they're plainly trying to look after children at the same time and it's been judged not to be a success. The leave of absence is a pretty good deal; lots of people have been laid off and have no prospect of returning to work.
my daughter is working from home with an almost 6 year old who is taking school lessons online. Obviously a 6 year old needs a lot of help. Daughter does what she can, bed early (7pm) for the little one, then she works until the early hours. Many of her clients are in the FE so time zone wise it seems to be working.

increasingly we are thinking it is less and less likely schools will open in Sept.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 30th 2020 at 8:10 pm.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Apr 30th 2020, 9:25 pm
  #1538  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Almost Canadian's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: South of Calgary
Posts: 13,043
Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
my daughter is working from home with an almost 6 year old who is taking school lessons online. Obviously a 6 year old needs a lot of help. Daughter does what she can, bed early (7pm) for the little one, then she works until the early hours. Many of her clients are in the FE so time zone wise it seems to be working.

increasingly we are thinking it is less and less likely schools will open in Sept.
I can't see how any government will be able to keep the public onside to keep this nonsense going until September. Mind you, I have been amazed at how wiling the public has been to comply with the restrictions already in place. When watching the Handmaid's Tale, I thought the premise of that society was somewhat ridiculous as I didn't believe that any one in their right mind would put up with such a society. I hear that a snitches' line in Calgary (to report those breaching social distancing rules) has been inundated with calls, so it appears that I am wrong.
Almost Canadian is offline  
Old Apr 30th 2020, 9:35 pm
  #1539  
Tea Drinker
 
Danny B's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Kamloops, BC
Posts: 4,709
Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian View Post
I can't see how any government will be able to keep the public onside to keep this nonsense going until September. Mind you, I have been amazed at how wiling the public has been to comply with the restrictions already in place. When watching the Handmaid's Tale, I thought the premise of that society was somewhat ridiculous as I didn't believe that any one in their right mind would put up with such a society. I hear that a snitches' line in Calgary (to report those breaching social distancing rules) has been inundated with calls, so it appears that I am wrong.
Elon Musk agrees with you.

Danny B is offline  
Old Apr 30th 2020, 9:50 pm
  #1540  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Jsmth321's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 26,854
Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

BC Government is set to lay out plans next week on the plan to reopen BC. We never had as strict restrictions here as other provinces had/have either.

Meat processing plants seem to be the new outbreak sources at the moment so whatever is happening in meat packing plants isn't working so hopefully they can find a way to mitigate risks in such facilities. A federal meat inspector has also tested positive.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...l-30-1.5550256

Jsmth321 is offline  
Old Apr 30th 2020, 9:55 pm
  #1541  
BE Forum Addict
 
Paul_Shepherd's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,890
Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Danny B View Post
Ah yes......that infectious disease specialist.
Paul_Shepherd is offline  
Old Apr 30th 2020, 10:06 pm
  #1542  
Stand-up Philosopher
 
caretaker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Regina and Oliver
Posts: 14,379
caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post

Meat processing plants seem to be the new outbreak sources at the moment so whatever is happening in meat packing plants isn't working so hopefully they can find a way to mitigate risks in such facilities. A federal meat inspector has also tested positive.
Meat packing plants are full of cold, moist, circulating air, so are the perfect vector for transmitting the virus.
caretaker is offline  
Old Apr 30th 2020, 10:14 pm
  #1543  
Assimilated Pauper
 
dbd33's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 38,555
dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post

increasingly we are thinking it is less and less likely schools will open in Sept.
I don't think the schools will open and I think it will lead to an increasingly unequal society; those who have no work are going downhill quickly, those who have work are suddenly relatively well off. I count myself lucky to be in the first group. It's potentially a dream come true for my daughter who wants to buy a house and is on maternity leave; the income still arrives and many more houses are becoming affordable.
dbd33 is offline  
Old Apr 30th 2020, 11:12 pm
  #1544  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Almost Canadian's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: South of Calgary
Posts: 13,043
Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd View Post
Ah yes......that infectious disease specialist.
Which such expert has produced any science that has supported everyone being in lockdown?

Should we rely upon the WHO who said there was no need to stop international travel, Dr Tam who said the same thing and said that those that were asymptomatic could not be contagious? Have any of the models be shown to be even remotely accurate?

Can you disagree with the comments made here:

Almost Canadian is offline  
Old Apr 30th 2020, 11:41 pm
  #1545  
Assimilated Pauper
 
dbd33's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 38,555
dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian View Post
Which such expert has produced any science that has supported everyone being in lockdown?

Should we rely upon the WHO who said there was no need to stop international travel, Dr Tam who said the same thing and said that those that were asymptomatic could not be contagious? Have any of the models be shown to be even remotely accurate?

Can you disagree with the comments made here:

https://youtu.be/Id5L4uD51XI
I lasted eight minutes. Hitchens argued that people will get bored and go out so the lock down should be lifted before they do. I think he's wrong but, even if he's right, it's a prediction, not a plan, and he's not an immunologist so, ok, he thinks that but it has no more weight than what my dog thinks about it all.

At least the lockdown is good for the climate; no one's going out and drilling for gas or oil.


dbd33 is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.