Coronavirus

Old Oct 30th 2020, 12:22 am
  #2986  
MODERATOR
 
Siouxie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 18,271
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by printer View Post
Really? I somehow doubt it, have you looked at the numbers in France? Around 1000 cases early August rising consistently until now and record numbers this month, up to 50,000 cases a day!!!! Now they are making young school aged children (6 years) wear them in school which they didn't have to before this week. Like that is going to solve the problem. You say idiots that won't wear one but it has been law since way back so whilst there will always be some who want to "stand their ground" i'm sure that most have had to follow regulations.
From what many of our members have said - together with my own observations - there are many people who disregard the rules / laws / regulations. You only have to watch the news (in any country) to see that...there are demonstrations against the use of them. I personally know of at least 8 people who use the 'medically exempt' excuse for not wearing one, despite all but 1 not having any health issues that would result in this. It's the same the world over!

I didn't just say masks though - I said also those that won't social distance and those that don't believe COVID is real - and think they can do whatever they like, regardless.

In Ontario they advertise that you can't be questioned, you just have to say it!

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 30th 2020 at 12:27 am. Reason: added
Siouxie is offline  
Old Oct 30th 2020, 12:41 am
  #2987  
F.orum Ape
 
Shard's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 20,484
Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Siouxie View Post
From what many of our members have said - together with my own observations - there are many people who disregard the rules / laws / regulations. You only have to watch the news (in any country) to see that...there are demonstrations against the use of them. I personally know of at least 8 people who use the 'medically exempt' excuse for not wearing one, despite all but 1 not having any health issues that would result in this. It's the same the world over!

I didn't just say masks though - I said also those that won't social distance and those that don't believe COVID is real - and think they can do whatever they like, regardless.

In Ontario they advertise that you can't be questioned, you just have to say it!
It doesn't take much to discourage mask wearing. As you say, there are people who won't, and they then provide a example for others who are on the fence, and soon it's only a small minority who are making the effort. It's why we have death rates of 700 (per million) and Asian countries are under 100. The tragedy and frustration is that so many people refuse to believe that infections and death can be prevented.


Shard is offline  
Old Oct 30th 2020, 1:20 am
  #2988  
Oscar nominated
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 35,146
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by printer View Post
Really? I somehow doubt it, have you looked at the numbers in France? Around 1000 cases early August rising consistently until now and record numbers this month, up to 50,000 cases a day!!!! Now they are making young school aged children (6 years) wear them in school which they didn't have to before this week.
It seems a very strange way to claim that numbers are rising despite assumed mask wearing by referencing some people previously not required to now wear them.
That rather sounds like there's not been enough mask wearing.
Of course there are plenty of other factors. Last week I watched Manchester United play in Paris and I was astonished to discover that but for the 8.00 pm kick off there would have been spectators in the stadium.

That's right. They've been letting thousands of fans in to sit close to each other at various sports events, shout a bit, mill around at the exits and entrances and all that. They're letting them in at the France-Ireland rugby international too.

I wonder, do you think there might be a connection?

Ditto in Russia with the spectators they've been allowing.
BristolUK is offline  
Old Oct 30th 2020, 1:34 am
  #2989  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Jsmth321's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 25,763
Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

My theory as to why BC hasn't mandated masks is in part due to contact tracing, which is tracing a good chunk of the cases back to family gatherings in private dwellings, as well as parties in private dwellings.

How many people are wearing masks in private homes during gatherings?



Jsmth321 is offline  
Old Oct 30th 2020, 1:46 am
  #2990  
BE Forum Addict
 
printer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Kelowna
Posts: 2,283
printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
It seems a very strange way to claim that numbers are rising despite assumed mask wearing by referencing some people previously not required to now wear them.
That rather sounds like there's not been enough mask wearing.
Of course there are plenty of other factors. Last week I watched Manchester United play in Paris and I was astonished to discover that but for the 8.00 pm kick off there would have been spectators in the stadium.

That's right. They've been letting thousands of fans in to sit close to each other at various sports events, shout a bit, mill around at the exits and entrances and all that. They're letting them in at the France-Ireland rugby international too.

I wonder, do you think there might be a connection?

Ditto in Russia with the spectators they've been allowing.
The point about young children becoming part of the mandate was merely pointing out that they (France) are losing the battle yet they appear to think that expanding the mask requirement to 6 year olds will help, i am 100% sure it will make zero difference. It seems that from your comments much is or was wrong with their policies to allow these things to go ahead whilst mandating masks as a way to reduce infection rates. Clearly that mandate hasn't worked as they are now shutting everything down. My original post was really just musing over the fact that right now we are all being required in many places to wear a mask to protect others and help reduce infections yet a quick look at the figures would suggest that more is required. We have seen French authorities expand the mask rules to outdoor areas and bring in curfews and all along it looks like they were barking up the wrong tree
printer is offline  
Old Oct 30th 2020, 9:16 am
  #2991  
Stand-up Philosopher
 
caretaker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Regina and Oliver
Posts: 13,947
caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

82 new cases in Sask, 707 active cases. We keep setting new records.
caretaker is offline  
Old Oct 30th 2020, 1:24 pm
  #2992  
Oscar nominated
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 35,146
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by printer View Post
We have seen French authorities expand the mask rules to outdoor areas and bring in curfews and all along it looks like they were barking up the wrong tree
It's certainly not going to help if they allow thousands of spectators in to football and rugby matches.
Another hotspot - Russia - seems to be allowing fans in. I watched a bit of a game from Moscow a few days ago. The spectators were definitely distanced but I paused the action a couple of times and counted the people in view. A third were unmasked.

We know that coughing and sneezing transmits the virus but it's also said that being in the company of someone talking for 15 minutes does it too. There have been illustrative graphics of how far the aerosols reach in conversations as well as being expelled at force.

Football fans tend to shout or cheer. That's a lot of aerosols floating around travelling further than 6 feet with a third of a few thousand having no barrier to reduce that happening. And with the best will in the world distancing in the seats won't make much difference in the inevitable bottlenecks at turnstyles and other entrances/exits when they all try to pass through at once.

And when you see pictures like this




People sitting together like that for extended periods, unmasked, you can imagine what happens even if they're masked up and distanced the rest of the time.
BristolUK is offline  
Old Oct 30th 2020, 1:28 pm
  #2993  
Stand-up Philosopher
 
caretaker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Regina and Oliver
Posts: 13,947
caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus


caretaker is offline  
Old Oct 30th 2020, 8:36 pm
  #2994  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Jsmth321's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 25,763
Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Things not looking good in Manitoba today.

480 new cases today but appears to include several days of backlog.

Broad shutdown starting Monday in Winnipeg, many businesses and facilities in the Winnipeg metropolitan region will close including bars, movie theaters, concert halls, restaurant dining rooms, and retail will be limited to 25% of capacity.

Hospitals will suspend non-urgent procedures.

Intensive care units are at 96 per cent capacity.

5 day positivity rate 8.6 per cent.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...t-30-1.5783544





Jsmth321 is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2020, 2:38 am
  #2995  
Stand-up Philosopher
 
caretaker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Regina and Oliver
Posts: 13,947
caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Holy shit! University of Saskatchewan researchers are monitoring Covid-19 residue in Saskatoon wastewater, and their graph (probably most accurate measure because it counts asymptomatic carriers), shows a big spike, so we're probably in for it.
https://globalnews.ca/news/7433877/c...sk-wastewater/
caretaker is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2020, 3:42 am
  #2996  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Jsmth321's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 25,763
Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
Holy shit! University of Saskatchewan researchers are monitoring Covid-19 residue in Saskatoon wastewater, and their graph (probably most accurate measure because it counts asymptomatic carriers), shows a big spike, so we're probably in for it.
https://globalnews.ca/news/7433877/c...sk-wastewater/

UBC and BCCDC are doing wastewater sampling as well, although the articles don't go into a ton of detail like your link with the graph, I think a fair amount of city's are doing the same.

Quite interesting really.
Jsmth321 is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2020, 5:22 pm
  #2997  
Tea Drinker
 
Danny B's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Kamloops, BC
Posts: 4,627
Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

UK PM set to announce month-long England lockdown.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-54763956

England will go into a second national lockdown for a month, Prime Minister Boris Johnson is set to announce.

Non-essential shops and hospitality will have to close, sources told the BBC.

But unlike the restriction in the spring, schools and colleges are to be allowed to stay open.


Danny B is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2020, 10:24 pm
  #2998  
F.orum Ape
 
Shard's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 20,484
Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Finally, BoJo got the memo. A few weeks late, and "alas" a few hundred extra deaths, but he's finally listening the the scientific advice again.

Shard is offline  
Old Nov 1st 2020, 1:03 am
  #2999  
BE Forum Addict
 
printer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Kelowna
Posts: 2,283
printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Danny B View Post
UK PM set to announce month-long England lockdown.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-54763956

England will go into a second national lockdown for a month, Prime Minister Boris Johnson is set to announce.

Non-essential shops and hospitality will have to close, sources told the BBC.

But unlike the restriction in the spring, schools and colleges are to be allowed to stay open.
Can't help thinking whilst it may seem like a great idea have they not thought about the Brits and their love of a good party, inside or out. Lock down on Thursday so party hard and fast until then, masks optional. Lol

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/uknews...onal-lockdown/
printer is offline  
Old Nov 1st 2020, 1:18 am
  #3000  
BE Forum Addict
 
Partially discharged's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 3,184
Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by printer View Post
Can't help thinking whilst it may seem like a great idea have they not thought about the Brits and their love of a good party, inside or out. Lock down on Thursday so party hard and fast until then, masks optional. Lol

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/uknews...onal-lockdown/
Hmm...I can see the pictures from Thursday's Daily Fail now showing people on Wednesday night in provincial city centres and Soho in a fetal position in a puddle from too many lagers and cocktails to get that last night of drinking in before lockdown.
Partially discharged is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.