View Poll Results: Should Britain stay in the European Union ?
Yes
37.10%
No
43.55%
Don't care, I'm a Canuck now...
6.45%
Couldn't give a monkeys either way
12.90%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Britain & the EU

Old Jan 28th 2013, 3:15 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Britain & the EU

Originally Posted by orly
Really? So according to you there's about 850 million seconds in a year? How about you check your maths before commenting again? You're so far from correct that it's hilarious. Especially when you started your comment with a troll attempt.

The figure in my first post was off but in this case my maths is right on the "money". I can't even work out how you came up with your figures because they're so massively wrong.

Better luck next time.
I reloaded my calculator. Yes, your first post was off (but so was mine), Nonetheless, you're talking bulls**t.

Germany 19.4 billion euros per year
France 18 billion
Italy 14.3 billion
UK 11 billion
Spain 10 billion

What's your point?

Last edited by Novocastrian; Jan 28th 2013 at 3:21 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 4:28 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Nonetheless, you're talking bulls**t.
Not as much as you it seems.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 6:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Tony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Then they should do something else or provide some extra value that foreign plumbers don't to justify their costs.

Again, they should find something else to do.

In both cases the state shouldn't be resorting to protectionism to keep these people in work; it should be easing their transition into other more productive areas. The best long term policy is to train/educate people in areas where there are true skills shortages rather than artificial ones created by policy.

If only if was really that easy.
I was back home in London for over a year and I was unemployed. I could not get a job anywhere. I was working minimum wage at the olympics. I got talking to the local dustman in Russell square one shift. He was a fully trained carpenter. He could not get work anywhere. He was working on one project a year ago where he had to train the Polish workers. A few months later the firm relocated to Poland. Fired the English workers as they could not speak 'two languages' and kept the Polish workers in the UK. This guy had four kids and a mortgage and he was working two jobs. This is a prime example of what an unbalanced labour market can do.

Now, im willing to do any sort of work. I go to main stream restaurants and coffee shops in London. These places are fully of foreign workers and do not recruit domestic workers. My little nephew cant even get a job at Mcdonalds so he sitting around doing nothing. He's missing out on learning key skills on entry level jobs.

Its not so easy to train and relocate or find something else to do. Housing costs, transportation costs are crap in London.
The labour market is flooded. You have to have a form of protectionism.
When I was on a work permit in Canada. As soon as the recession hit in 2009, my work permit of two years was cut to one year. It pretty hard for employers to recruit foreigners. A lot of loops have to be jumped through here in Canada. But look at the contrast.. like it or not protectionism works.

But the result is the same. If you are against immigration because it causes economic hardship for some then you are against technology because it does the exact same thing. Some people lose their jobs; sure new different jobs are created but that doesn't help those that have lost theirs.

The issue is controlled immigration and having a balanced labour market not immigration itself. The analogy with technology is not a great one. Technology also creates jobs as well as putting people out. Immigration just puts people out.

The idea of a skills shortage is debatable. There is a false conception of foreign being better, when its not. My observation being back for a year was that employers are not really recruiting british workers. I noticed employers asking for qualifications & experience that would be nearly impossible to have in one setting. To obtain the experience even harder as well the labour market is flooded. Catch 22.

I dont see how the UK benefits from me being on the dole and having someone from Europe working instead. If there was a real skill and labour market shortage I would understand. But there is not.

But on the flipside, whilst I was unemployed. I had sod all else to do.. I dated so many hot european women in that year. So I guess free movement of people does have its pros.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 6:49 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tony_Tiger
[/B]

The issue is controlled immigration and having a balanced labour market not immigration itself. The analogy with technology is not a great one. Technology also creates jobs as well as putting people out. Immigration just puts people out.

The idea of a skills shortage is debatable. There is a false conception of foreign being better, when its not. My observation being back for a year was that employers are not really recruiting british workers. I noticed employers asking for qualifications & experience that would be nearly impossible to have in one setting. To obtain the experience even harder as well the labour market is flooded. Catch 22.

I dont see how the UK benefits from me being on the dole and having someone from Europe working instead. If there was a real skill and labour market shortage I would understand. But there is not.

But on the flipside, whilst I was unemployed. I had sod all else to do.. I dated so many hot european women in that year. So I guess free movement of people does have its pros.

Good post.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 7:07 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

No it doesn't; is there a Canadian who is unemployed because of you? Immigrants need feeding, entertaining, they have money to spend. These things create jobs.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 7:21 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

No it doesn't; is there a Canadian who is unemployed because of you? Immigrants need feeding, entertaining, they have money to spend. These things create jobs.
This sort of debate does remind one of the Imperial Banquet in The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists.

". . . you know very well that the country IS being ruined by foreigners."

"Why, even 'ere in Mugsborough,' chimed in Sawkins . . .- 'We're overrun with 'em! Nearly all the waiters and the cook at the Grand Hotel where we was working last month is foreigners.'

'Yes,' said old Joe Philpot, tragically, 'and then thers all them Hitalian horgin grinders, an' the blokes wot sells 'ot chestnuts; an' wen I was goin' 'ome last night I see a lot of them Frenchies sellin' hunions, an' a little wile afterwards I met two more of 'em comin' up the street with a bear.'
Old Jan 29th 2013, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Tony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to behold

Well in answer to your question. The simplified answer I would say is no. I don't see Canadians unemployed because of me. The labour market is different. Its controlled. To be frank, there are hardly any people here.
An example.
My extended family here used to run three businesses. I managed three of them. The biggest problem we had in Calgary was that there is not enough people. Recruiting was a nightmare. So we recruited foreign workers. But to do so we had to meet strict Canadian conditions to do so. Now once we wanted to renew work permits, we had to get approval (ie labour market opinion). Its tough. When the recession hit, we had to let the foreign workers go as we could not renew the work permits for some. We had to recruit canadians. Not a problem as the economic conditions had changed. It was a bit easier to recruit Canadians. We had more responses with applicants when the economy was down.

Now in London. Its not controlled. Its unbalanced.

Your argument that foreign workers need feeding, entertaining etc. I see your point but its not a strong argument. The flaw I see in your argument is that foreign workers/immigrants spend. They don't. Lets break it down.
How much of the cash flow remains in the UK? If I work cash flow remains in the UK. Money circulates. Foreign workers may not keep the money in the UK.
Secondly they may spend, but as i mentioned, what is the cost of them working and balanced with me being out of work. There is a social and economic cost. Is it really creating jobs, or it is just taking my place when I would be spending cash instead?

Foreign workers are generally savers not spenders. Foreign workers/immigrants do have benefits if controlled to meet the needs of the labour market. . (My example above). This is something that is not happening.

If we take your argument that immigration creates jobs. Lets take it a bit further and open the borders to the whole world. Going by your argument of job creation, millions of people could come to the UK and flood the labour market , lots of jobs could be created and hence perhaps we could have full employment and everyone is happy. Reality is it does not work like that.

The ones you mentioned i.e feeding, entertaining, they have money to spend etc they are called tourists.

I wrote to my local MP(Labour) highlighting my unemployment situation for over a year when I came back to the UK. He stated statistically for every foreign worker coming to the UK, three jobs are created in Europe for British workers. That was his position. I was happy to argue it as I though it was a load of tosh.
I made an appointment and I met him in person. (Very nice chap I must say)he said unofficially the foreign worker/immigration problem is a big issue in London as companies are not giving British workers a chance. He is aware of it. Be cant say so officially.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 8:16 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

TL;DR: Immigration is bad, except when it's me cos I create jobs.

Do you think there are less jobs now than there was before EU open borders? If you did you'd be wrong.

Last edited by Alan2005; Jan 29th 2013 at 8:19 am.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 8:40 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

TL;DR: Immigration is bad, except when it's me cos I create jobs.

Do you think there are less jobs now than there was before EU open borders? If you did you'd be wrong.
The crucial point continually being missed here is the word control.
Perhaps your are reading it as refusing when in fact it relates to the rate of immigration.

To clarify replace the term uncontrolled immigration with rapid immigration. THAT is the issue.

Immigration does lead to growth, but it is an external impact on the economy and if too rapid creates some unpleasant shocks. Jobs (and replacement jobs) are not created the instant the immigrants roll off Heathrow. It takes time, often years. Hospitals are not suddenly commissioned and paid for, there is a transition period where existing hospitals are stretched and then planned and then eventually paid for. Those British workers who have been undercut or out-competed by new immigrants don't walk into new jobs, they end up on the dole for a while, may retrain or under-employ themselves. Hardship occurs in a big way.

Eventually the economy does adjust and individuals circumstances adjust. It really depends how much volatility the country and individuals are willing to accept. That's the reason to control is important, because the country can slow down the rate of immigration and manage the absorption of new people.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Shard
The crucial point continually being missed here is the word control.
Perhaps your are reading it as refusing when in fact it relates to the rate of immigration.
Controlled immigration? I'm not sure what that even means in the context of immigration from other EU countries by people that are legally allowed to come and work in the UK. Are you saying that immigration by citizens of other member states within the EU has been bad for the UK economy or not?
Old Jan 29th 2013, 10:48 am
me/moi

Controlled immigration? I'm not sure what that even means in the context of immigration from other EU countries by people that are legally allowed to come and work in the UK. Are you saying that immigration by citizens of other member states within the EU has been bad for the UK economy or not?
Well that gets back to the whole point of this thread: whether the commitment to the EU (of which citizen mobility is one aspect) is in Britain's best interests or not. Jobs is one aspect, access to public services is another, cost of building new public services another, lack of housing another, lots of issues to consider. I don't think it's binary choice of has EU immigration made the economy better or not. Especially since that's not something that even can be determined.

Last edited by Shard; Jan 29th 2013 at 10:53 am. Reason: Woohoo 700 posts.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 11:01 am

I don't think it's binary choice of has EU immigration made the economy better or not.
Yes it is. Is it "Better" or "Not Better".

Especially since that's not something that even can be determined.
Of course it can. You're posting in this thread, so you should have an opinion. What is your view?

Last edited by Alan2005; Jan 29th 2013 at 11:04 am.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 11:08 am
me/moi

Yes it is. Is it "Better" or "Not Better". Pick one.

Of course it can. You're posting in this thread, so you should have an opinion. What is your view?
You can measure how the economy has grown and the state of public finances based on what has happened, but you can't measure the growth based on what has not happened.

On balance, I would say the immigration we had did benefit the economy. It happened during the time of a great boom, and comfortable finances. Things have changed a little since 2008. Do I think Britain should have zero control over the number of EU migrants who want to come to this overcrowded island, no. I think it is attractive destination or stepping stone for many Europe, and I think Britain should be able to regulate that flow.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 11:22 am

You can measure how the economy has grown and the state of public finances based on what has happened, but you can't measure the growth based on what has not happened.
True, but you can say that about many government policies.

On balance, I would say the immigration we had did benefit the economy. It happened during the time of a great boom, and comfortable finances. Things have changed a little since 2008. Do I think Britain should have zero control over the number of EU migrants who want to come to this overcrowded island, no. I think it is attractive destination or stepping stone for many Europe, and I think Britain should be able to regulate that flow.
Things have changed since 2008, yes. But the "good" thing about workers from other EU countries is that they do productive work, and when the economy goes wrong they tend to go home again. They are, for the most part, the kind of immigrant that most countries welcome.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

It probably suits Germany to have UK in the EU. If that's the case that's what will happen.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...t-deepens.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.