Wikiposts
View Poll Results: Should Britain stay in the European Union ?
Yes
37.10%
No
43.55%
Don't care, I'm a Canuck now...
6.45%
Couldn't give a monkeys either way
12.90%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Britain & the EU

Old May 13th 2013, 8:41 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Britain & the EU

Originally Posted by Shard
Are they?

Wikipedia suggest their contribution is E188 MN which is insignificant compared to net contributions Sweden E1,259 MN or Britain at E5,445 MN. Hardly surprising given that Norway is not an EU member.
Its a token amount really just so they can benefit from free trade within the EU
Old May 14th 2013, 1:33 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Are they?

Wikipedia suggest their contribution is E188 MN which is insignificant compared to net contributions Sweden E1,259 MN or Britain at E5,445 MN. Hardly surprising given that Norway is not an EU member.
Norway has a population less than 5M, whereas the UK is 62.5M - 12.5 times more, the only sensible way to look at the net contributions is on a per capita basis.

Norway 2013 net - E290M/4.952M = E59/head

UK2012 net - E9,000M/62.641M = E144/head

The UK pays around 2.4 times per head more than Norway, or put it another way, Norway pays 41% of the UK rate - but has no vote or input to the EU rules that it has to follow.
Old May 14th 2013, 1:59 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Norway has a population less than 5M, whereas the UK is 62.5M - 12.5 times more, the only sensible way to look at the net contributions is on a per capita basis.

The UK pays around 2.4 times per head more than Norway, or put it another way, Norway pays 41% of the UK rate - but has no vote or input to the EU rules that it has to follow.
Quite: Excuse the caps, but that's the way the Grauniad did it,

MOST OF OUR PROBLEMS ARE NOT CAUSED BY "BWUSSELS" BUT BY CHRONIC BRITISH SHORT-TERMISM, INADEQUATE MANAGEMENT, SLOTH, LOW SKILLS, A CULTURE OF EASY GRATIFICATION AND UNDER-INVESTMENT IN HUMAN AND PHYSICAL CAPITAL AND INFRASTRUCTURE.

I don't often (never have before) agree with Boris.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/b...ichael-gove-eu

Last edited by Novocastrian; May 14th 2013 at 2:02 pm. Reason: added link
Old May 14th 2013, 8:27 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue

Are you changing the goalposts now? You point was that Norway was a significant net contributor to the EU budget not that the per capita contributions was significant. Even if the latter was your point, it is only one third of the UK, so again wrong. Not sure why you wish to compare it to the UK anyway, Sweden, a Nordic country closer is size would have made a better comparator.
Old May 14th 2013, 8:35 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian

MOST OF OUR PROBLEMS ARE NOT CAUSED BY "BWUSSELS" BUT BY CHRONIC BRITISH SHORT-TERMISM, INADEQUATE MANAGEMENT, SLOTH, LOW SKILLS, A CULTURE OF EASY GRATIFICATION AND UNDER-INVESTMENT IN HUMAN AND PHYSICAL CAPITAL AND INFRASTRUCTURE.

Although not entirely incorrect, Boris is playing to the gallery. It is only the hard skeptics and misguided that pin blame on Brussels for Britain's economic problems. Nevertheless, it does not follow that Federal Europe is in the best interests of the country or what the people of country want.
Old May 14th 2013, 11:39 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Boris Johnson said that?!?!?!?

The man has no shortage of front, I'll give him that.
Old May 15th 2013, 1:37 am
me/moi

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Boris Johnson said that?!?!?!?

The man has no shortage of front, I'll give him that.
I think he might be taking a page out of George Galloway's book and going for the diversity vote. He has it in London, so why not all across the land. He is a schemer extraordinaire!
Old May 15th 2013, 9:48 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I think he might be taking a page out of George Galloway's book and going for the diversity vote. He has it in London, so why not all across the land. He is a schemer extraordinaire!
Yes, in general he's an annoying prat. But he can hit the point now and again when it's to his advantage. BTW I'm not sure what you mean by the diversity vote?
Old May 15th 2013, 10:31 am
me/moi

Boris loves to bang on about London being a great city of immigrants, which it is and largely has been, but when he starts knocking Britain (which is not typical of him or his party) one suspects ulterior motives. Like Galloway, he seems to be seeking wide support from newcomers, but unlike George his motivations seem more political than passionate. Chronic short termism is probably a valid charge, but the rest are dubious and portray Britain and Brits negatively.
Old May 15th 2013, 10:41 am
Born again atheist

Boris loves to bang on about London being a great city of immigrants, which it is and largely has been, but when he starts knocking Britain (which is not typical of him or his party) one suspects ulterior motives. Like Galloway, he seems to be seeking wide support from newcomers, but unlike George his motivations seem more political than passionate. Chronic short termism is probably a valid charge, but the rest are dubious and portray Britain and Brits negatively.
I really don't see what you're getting at. The quote wasn't "knocking Britain", it was just being frank about Britain.

I've no idea who can vote in London Mayoral elections, but I'd be gobsmacked to learn that "newcomers" have a vote in Parliamentary elections or in referenda.
Old May 15th 2013, 10:45 am
me/moi

I really don't see what you're getting at. The quote wasn't "knocking Britain", it was just being frank about Britain.

I've no idea who can vote in London Mayoral elections, but I'd be gobsmacked to learn that "newcomers" have a vote in Parliamentary elections or in referenda.
There are many that have that frank view about Britain, but if past speeches are anything to go by, Boris is not one of them. That's why I am suspicious of his motives.
Old May 15th 2013, 10:55 am
Born again atheist

There are many that have that frank view about Britain, but if past speeches are anything to go by, Boris is not one of them. That's why I am suspicious of his motives.
His motives are completely transparent. He want's to be the boss of the pathetically miserable Conservative Party and he's choosing sides against the lunatics.
Old May 15th 2013, 11:02 am
me/moi

His motives are completely transparent. He want's to be the boss of the pathetically miserable Conservative Party and he's choosing sides against the lunatics.
Indeed. Although in the pathetically miserable stakes, you would surely agree that Ed & Ed provide very stiff competition.
Old May 15th 2013, 2:18 pm
Born again atheist

Indeed. Although in the pathetically miserable stakes, you would surely agree that Ed & Ed provide very stiff competition.
Who are they?
Old May 15th 2013, 7:02 pm
me/moi

Who are they?
Ed Milliband, Ed Balls (Leader, Shadow Chancellor).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.