Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Basic standards of grammar...

Basic standards of grammar...

Old Dec 27th 2009, 7:36 pm
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Basic standards of grammar...

Originally Posted by montreal mike
I also dislike the constant uses of the word 'like' to start a sentence, particularly irritating when used by teenage girls.

...like stop following us around mister, you're like creepin' us out you perv'.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 8:08 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

standards of grammar? that's the problem right there - there don't need to be no standard on an informal web board
Old Dec 27th 2009, 8:30 pm
Future Albertan

Kaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
standards of grammar? that's the problem right there - there don't need to be no standard on an informal web board
Old Dec 27th 2009, 8:53 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

It is a bit of an oxymoron though when there's a comment on how much better the standard of education is in the UK vs any other country. Especially when written by someone educated in the UK, who does not seem to be able to string two sentences together, use punctuation or figure out how to use the right word in the right context. If one gets too practiced in writing lazily or using texting shortcuts, this can easily slip into common use, ending up in a letter, resume, E-mail or application form.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
God, give be a break. Happen some can't be bothered being overly grammatical to post on a forum. CV's are one thing, but gimmie a break FFS. If we want to debate the need to be well written/educated fair enough, but wasn't this expressed as an annoyance of those posting on here?
The point here is that a person who lacks the necessary and most basic skills in literacy may well be ‘forgiven’, for lack of a better word, for his/her posts at this forum, but this will not be the case for a CV replete with grammatical errors.

I thought this simple fact would obvious but, alas, it seems to have escaped you.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
It is a bit of an oxymoron though when there's a comment on how much better the standard of education is in the UK vs any other country. Especially when written by someone educated in the UK, who does not seem to be able to string two sentences together, use punctuation or figure out how to use the right word in the right context. If one gets too practiced in writing lazily or using texting shortcuts, this can easily slip into common use, ending up in a letter, resume, E-mail or application form.
I can't find the post in question anywhere on this thread. Could you provide the post number?
Old Dec 27th 2009, 9:29 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
I'm not an expert by any means, but is it me or is the standard of grammar (and spelling) getting worse on here?

I know it's irritating to people pointing out errors, but it really winds me up.....

Anyone else agree?

If you're moving to Canada then you should have at least the ability to type a sentence with semi-correct grammar, right?
Who gives a flying toss what the grammar is like on a board? If it makes you feel superior then that's all well and good, just don't think you'll garnish any good will by pointing it out publicly. Its an informal forum, formal rules on something like this are for those with overly pedantic natures.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

However, watching someone start a thread like this is a bit like watching drivers in Vancouver hit snow for the first time.

No matter how much they jam on the brakes, a crash is inevitable.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 11:03 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

The point here is that a person who lacks the necessary and most basic skills in literacy may well be ‘forgiven’, for lack of a better word, for his/her posts at this forum, but this will not be the case for a CV replete with grammatical errors.

I thought this simple fact would obvious but, alas, it seems to have escaped you.
Still doesn't change the fact that the thread was motivated by an annoyance of poor grammar on the part of some posters, not CV's. You, and others, felt it necessary to flex your intellectual might. Good for you.

My father, a window cleaner, is basically illiterate and probably reads and writes at the level of a 10 year old, if that. He, and others like him, should not be put off or discouraged from posting on a forum if they so choose.

It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word.
- Andrew Jackson

Last edited by dboy; Dec 27th 2009 at 11:05 pm.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 11:41 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Still doesn't change the fact that the thread was motivated by an annoyance of poor grammar on the part of some posters, not CV's. You, and others, felt it necessary to flex your intellectual might. Good for you.

My father, a window cleaner, is basically illiterate and probably reads and writes at the level of a 10 year old, if that. He, and others like him, should not be put off or discouraged from posting on a forum if they so choose.

- Andrew Jackson
You know, he's right.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 12:10 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

I can't find the post in question anywhere on this thread. Could you provide the post number?
Throughout the forum, no thread in particular. I feel sure if you use the search function you'll come up with something.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 12:11 am

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Throughout the forum, no thread in particular. I feel sure if you use the search function you'll come up with something.
At the end of the day, who cares??
Old Dec 28th 2009, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by dollface
At the end of the day, who cares??
Some seemingly do, personally I don't give a rats how others choose to represent themselves.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 12:20 am

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Some seemingly do, personally I don't give a rats how others choose to represent themselves.
I'm with you
Old Dec 28th 2009, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

- Andrew Jackson
Go back to the very first post on this thread and here I quote 'If you're moving to Canada then you should have at least the ability to type a sentence with semi-correct grammar, right?'

Now ask yourself, and be perfectly honest here, what chance does a new arrival have on the job market without a grammatically correct CV even with a basic level of literacy?

Unless of course that person aspires to work at minimum wage in their new chosen country.

All you who show a disdain, or foolishly wish to downplay the need for proper grammar, you should think twice for you might find the job market that much tougher.

The choice is yours.

Last edited by montreal mike; Dec 28th 2009 at 1:12 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.