Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Basic standards of grammar...

Basic standards of grammar...

Old Dec 28th 2009, 4:09 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Basic standards of grammar...

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Enlighten us!
IF neither of you gave a rats how people 'represent' themselves you would not post half of what you do, you would not 'attack' posters who come across as 'anti-Canada'. You would not 'attack' people who (in your opinion) have a sense of entitlement. You would NOT goad people who (in your opinion) are union sympathisers.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 4:14 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
IF neither of you gave a rats how people 'represent' themselves you would not post half of what you do, you would not 'attack' posters who come across as 'anti-Canada'. You would not 'attack' people who (in your opinion) have a sense of entitlement. You would NOT goad people who (in your opinion) are union sympathisers.
But that's what is represented rather than how. The content is fair game I reckon, whether or not the delivery is akin to a chimp with a crayon (this is not an endorsement of his views, just his right to express them)
Old Dec 28th 2009, 4:20 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
But that's what is represented rather than how.
I beg to differ, people are representing themselves as being that way.

I can represent myself as anti-british, by saying I dislike everything about britain. I have not represented any tangibles. On the otherhand I can represent britian as a shithole by saying the weather sucks, the govts a bunch of theiving wankers and there's dog crap on every street corner. I maybe exagerating but I have presented tangibles.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 4:29 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I beg to differ, people are representing themselves as being that way.

I can represent myself as anti-british, by saying I dislike everything about britain. I have not represented any tangibles. On the otherhand I can represent britian as a shithole by saying the weather sucks, the govts a bunch of theiving wankers and there's dog crap on every street corner. I maybe exagerating but I have presented tangibles.
Yes, but I assume he meant (given the context of this thread), that it's what you say, rather than the accuracy of your english when saying it. Making a point without evidence deserves to get pulled up.

You could say, "I dislike everything about the UK" or "UKs shit init", but without anything to back these views up, both are equally stupid things to say. This is despite one being supposedly more grammatically correct than the other.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 5:09 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

If posters wish to appear as illiterate oafs that is their affair, no concern of mine. If posters have a valid point, substantiated by fact or represent it as 'their opinion' that is one thing, and can be construed as helpful to other readers. Blanket statements without any validation, such as 'Canada is no good stay away' is (in my opinion) not at all helpful to anyone.

You're not trying to be one of those cyber bullies are you?
Old Dec 28th 2009, 5:10 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Nuts! A whole thread about pedantry, and I missed the entire thing. Damn the enforced jocularity of Christmas, and its conventions of conviviality. Disappearing to the office in the basement would have been poor form.

I will have to try and catch up.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 5:16 am
Banned

If posters wish to appear as illiterate oafs that is their affair, no concern of mine. If posters have a valid point, substantiated by fact or represent it as 'their opinion' that is one thing, and can be construed as helpful to other readers. Blanket statements without any validation, such as 'Canada is no good stay away' is (in my opinion) not at all helpful to anyone.
Ah now that puts it MUCH better

You're not trying to be one of those cyber bullies are you?
Trying?

One is moved to misquote Quentin Crisp, who on entering the US was asked:
"Sir are you a practicing cyber bully"
"My Dear man I no longer need to practice, I have perfected the art"
Old Dec 28th 2009, 5:22 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m

That's me too - but you are more brave for saying so

(... braver than I, .... more brave than I, ...more braver, ...... well brave ? .... decisions, decisions)
Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Ah, the incorrect use of "I".

Canadians, even supposedly edumacated ones, appear incapable of using anything other than "I" when "me" is quite clearly more betterer.
Oh, I do like being able to out-pedant the pedantic.

Ann M's use of "I" is grammatically perfect. A construction such as "you are braver than I" is a colloquialism in which the final missing verb "am" is understood. You wouldn't say "you are braver than me am," neither should you say "you are braver than me."

I agree with your general point, though. It's a classic case of a little knowledge being a dangerous thing. In sentences where "you and me" would be the grammatically appropriate object phrase, people remember having "it's you and I" drilled into them at school so insert it without thinking.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 5:35 am
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
Still doesn't change the fact that the thread was motivated by an annoyance of poor grammar on the part of some posters, not CV's. You, and others, felt it necessary to flex your intellectual might. Good for you.

My father, a window cleaner, is basically illiterate and probably reads and writes at the level of a 10 year old, if that. He, and others like him, should not be put off or discouraged from posting on a forum if they so choose.
Yeah, it's a shame when people get put off posting by the superior behaviour of others. Life's too short to worry about spelling errors, typos and minor grammatical errors on a web forum. On the other hand, for me it's also too short to bother deciphering some of the posts that crop up here. There is no need for me to be nasty about it though. They are easy to skip if you can't be bothered or spend time on if I'm at a loose end.

(Father - bricklayer, left school at 15, spent the rest of his working life improving his skills and knowledge to the point of completing an OU degree in his early 50s. Yes, he always felt ashamed of his lack of skill in English but he set out to do something about it and set an example for his kids!)

Last edited by acer rose; Dec 28th 2009 at 5:37 am. Reason: clarification
Old Dec 28th 2009, 5:46 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by acer rose
Yeah, it's a shame when people get put off posting by the superior behaviour of others. Life's too short to worry about spelling errors, typos and minor grammatical errors on a web forum. On the other hand, for me it's also too short to bother deciphering some of the posts that crop up here. There is no need for me to be nasty about it though. They are easy to skip if you can't be bothered or spend time on if I'm at a loose end.

(Father - bricklayer, left school at 15, spent the rest of his working life improving his skills and knowledge to the point of completing an OU degree in his early 50s. Yes, he always felt ashamed of his lack of skill in English but he set out to do something about it and set an example for his kids!)
My old man, who is fast approaching 65, fell off his ladder and hurt his knee recently. His doctor told him he was too old to be cleaning windows and should consider changing careers. He suggested IT; my dad had no idea what he was talking about!

My old man seems to have been happy enough cleaning windows and actually made a decent enough living. He used to also drive buses and coaches from time to time. But I have to agree with the doctor, he's too old now. But he's stubborn!
Old Dec 28th 2009, 9:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Oh, I do like being able to out-pedant the pedantic.

Ann M's use of "I" is grammatically perfect. A construction such as "you are braver than I" is a colloquialism in which the final missing verb "am" is understood. You wouldn't say "you are braver than me am," neither should you say "you are braver than me."

I agree with your general point, though. It's a classic case of a little knowledge being a dangerous thing. In sentences where "you and me" would be the grammatically appropriate object phrase, people remember having "it's you and I" drilled into them at school so insert it without thinking.
I didn't mean that Ann's use of "I" was incorrect

I now sound like I am attempting to cover up a gaff, I am not, please believe me
Old Dec 28th 2009, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

tracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud of
Wink Re: Basic standards of grammar...

Originally Posted by G77
If you can't communicate in basic written form, then starting a new life in a country where they have difficulty understanding English that isn't of the Canadian dialect is going to be tough.
I'm so glad it isn't just me. On our trips to Canda I was surprised that I had to repeat myself so much when talking to Canadians!

It's not me it's them>
Old Dec 29th 2009, 5:07 am
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Strangely, when I go back the UK I find it very hard to understand people at first! I find they speak really fast and very strangely! LOL After about 3 days I've got my "ear" back. But it makes me realise how I must have sounded to Candians when they first heard me.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 4:12 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montreal mike
The point here is that a person who lacks the necessary and most basic skills in literacy may well be ‘forgiven’, for lack of a better word, for his/her posts at this forum, but this will not be the case for a CV replete with grammatical errors.

I thought this simple fact would obvious but, alas, it seems to have escaped you.
I'd suggest that if one gets into the perfectly good habit of using good spelling and grammar for everything they put into written form, then they'd be likely to have less trouble with these when writing a resumê.

Everyone makes mistakes, but there are honest ones, and lazy ones. The edit button works for the former, and the spell check button works for the latter. What we also need to remember is that the standard of English taught may be different in somewhere like Australia than it is in the UK, and even more so in countries where it is not the primary language in use.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 4:57 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
What we also need to remember is that the standard of English taught may be different in somewhere like Australia than it is in the UK, and even more so in countries where it is not the primary language in use.

.....I don't think things can be "different ...... than"

Last edited by Alberta_Rose; Dec 29th 2009 at 4:58 pm. Reason: Haha, I like this game! ;)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.