Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Basic standards of grammar...

Basic standards of grammar...

Old Dec 27th 2009, 4:38 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Basic standards of grammar...

Originally Posted by bsmith
Old Dec 27th 2009, 4:58 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Ain't you got nothing better to do than worries your head about this bollox Who'd you think you is, George bloody Puttenham?
Old Dec 27th 2009, 5:10 am
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by triumphguy

Like Taffy said to Daffyd over a pint of Brains:

For 20 years I help old ladies across the street, and do they call me Taffy the helper of old ladies? No!
I shag one sheep, one mind! and it's Taffy the sheep shagger!

...I had something similar happen to me when I was a school teacher. Over the years I must have taught thousands of kids and apart from that one time, was I found in the stock cupboard with any of them? No - but they always focus on the negatives nowadays don't they?

Last edited by bsmith; Dec 27th 2009 at 5:31 am.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 5:49 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

My spelling on here is for the most part, diabolical due to two things, 1) laziness, 2) a dirty keyboard - so when I think I've typed a word out and hit post (without spell checking ever btw!) I read it back after its posted and think awwwww f**k

Theres only 4 things that really annoy me (and its sooo petty but hey!)

We was watching tv.

I just did the laundry.

The mix up between lose / loose.

Their, there, they're. :curse:

Like I said I know its petty and many can pull my posts apart from the first letter, but its a me thing
Old Dec 27th 2009, 6:54 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops

I just did the laundry.
I just done the laundry?

I always type too fast and make errors. I usually (not always) spot them after posting, and then make numerous edits and re-posts til I iron out the ones I see .... (often miss some as well).

I try not to jump on other people's silly mistakes, but I do find it difficult to cope with great long paragraphs with terrible spelling and no punctuation. I often give up if I can't read it after two attempts. Life's too short.

What annoys me more, though, is folks starting a thread to criticise other people's grammar/spelling, and then making mistakes themselves!

To the OP: Never use a preposition to end a sentence WITH!
Old Dec 27th 2009, 7:00 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alberta_Rose
I just done the laundry?

I always type too fast and make errors. I usually (not always) spot them after posting, and then make numerous edits and re-posts til I iron out the ones I see .... (often miss some as well).

I try not to jump on other people's silly mistakes, but I do find it difficult to cope with great long paragraphs with terrible spelling and no punctuation. I often give up if I can't read it after two attempts. Life's too short.

What annoys me more, though, is folks starting a thread to criticise other people's grammar/spelling, and then making mistakes themselves!

To the OP: Never use a preposition to end a sentence WITH!
Mmmm the laundry thing was a pretty poor example to be honest - the one I was thining about was " I just did the BC driving test".

I was so annoyed at this I had to go offline hahaha - what's wrong with I've just completed succesfully ...... or I have just passed ....... etc etc?
Old Dec 27th 2009, 7:05 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Mmmm the laundry thing was a pretty poor example to be honest - the one I was thining about was " I just did the BC driving test".

I was so annoyed at this I had to go offline hahaha - what's wrong with I've just completed succesfully ...... or I have just passed ....... etc etc?
I wasn't criticising you. The laundry thing made me giggle is all ...
Old Dec 27th 2009, 7:11 am
Sawdust making harpy

Originally Posted by Alberta_Rose
I wasn't criticising you. The laundry thing made me giggle is all ...
I know Mor it made me giggle because there is a stashful of laundry here, from the Christmas couple of days with the rellies that needs didding
Old Dec 27th 2009, 12:29 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
Exactly - if you can't even type something without making coherent sense, then you shouldn't be trying to start a life in a new country....
Exactly - if you can't even type something that makes coherent sense, then you shouldn't be trying to start a life in a new country....

Originally Posted by G77
Don't the requirements for linguistics for admissibility to Canada (family category aside) require a reasonable level of English or French? It was my understanding that these tests are reasonably tough?
Doesn't the requirements for linguistics for admissibility to Canada (family category aside) require a reasonable level of English or French? It was my understanding that these tests are reasonably tough?

It's a brave man or woman that posts about grammar. He who lives by the sword, etc. etc.

FWIW I believe poor grammar, txt spk and the general decline in standards of written communication is not confined to the UK. It is every bit as prevalent in Canada judging by resumes and job application letters I've seen. It's a generational thing I guess.

Anyway, me grammar's been dead since 1990 gawd rest her soul.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 1:16 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

It annoys me but then I'm a snob and a pedant.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
I'm not an expert by any means, but is it me or is the standard of grammar (and spelling) getting worse on here?

I know it's irritating to people pointing out errors, but it really winds me up.....

Anyone else agree?

If you're moving to Canada then you should have at least the ability to type a sentence with semi-correct grammar, right?

I totally agree and I believe we should have gramma chief on board, someone who can access all m,essages and correct them so they a right like what the should be.

I forward G77 for this roll.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 1:39 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Exactly - if you can't even type something that makes coherent sense, then you shouldn't be trying to start a life in a new country....

Doesn't the requirements for linguistics for admissibility to Canada (family category aside) require a reasonable level of English or French? It was my understanding that these tests are reasonably tough?

It's a brave man or woman that posts about grammar. He who lives by the sword, etc. etc.

FWIW I believe poor grammar, txt spk and the general decline in standards of written communication is not confined to the UK. It is every bit as prevalent in Canada judging by resumes and job application letters I've seen. It's a generational thing I guess.

Anyway, me grammar's been dead since 1990 gawd rest her soul.
I may have been wrong with "don't" but "doesn't" isn't correct either

I don't profess to be an expert - I only got a C for GCSE English, my worst grade... My point was that some of the posts on here wouldn't even get an N grade (or whatever the "near miss" grade is these days...).

Anyway, I was and a bit cantankerous last night - a stupid post to start...
Old Dec 27th 2009, 1:49 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

My twopennyworth

Spelling mistakes don't really matter as long as the sense of the sentence is clear.

With that in mind understanding the difference between their, there, and they're is important, as is your and you're.

Comma splices and run on sentences, so what? Ditto semicolons, colons. Short sentences are clearer though.

Correct use of paragraphs, on here incorrect use is best. A new paragraph for each sentence often helps rather than for a new subject.

Most of us tend to write as we speak and that makes sense as these forums are a conversation.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 1:51 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fledermaus
My twopennyworth
You said (typed) that clearer than I managed to put across, well said.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

I ocne raed taht fi uoy msllepide ereyv dwro, poelep sluodh sllit udnndresta ti

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.