British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Basic standards of grammar... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/basic-standards-grammar-646232/)

G77 Dec 27th 2009 3:41 am

Basic standards of grammar...

I'm not an expert by any means, but is it me or is the standard of grammar (and spelling) getting worse on here?

I know it's irritating to people pointing out errors, but it really winds me up.....

Anyone else agree?

If you're moving to Canada then you should have at least the ability to type a sentence with semi-correct grammar, right?

dollface Dec 27th 2009 3:44 am

Re: Basic standards of grammar...

Originally Posted by G77 (Post 8198688)
I'm not an expert by any means, but is it me or is the standard of grammar (and spelling) getting worse on here?

I know it's irritating to people pointing out errors, but it really winds me up.....

Anyone else agree?

No.:p

G77 Dec 27th 2009 3:45 am

Originally Posted by dollface (Post 8198694)
No.:p

You at least managed a capital N and a full stop after, that's a bonus these days....

G77 Dec 27th 2009 3:46 am

An example - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...50&postcount=7

When I read that, I can't help but think Vicky Pollard!

montreal mike Dec 27th 2009 3:51 am

I do note bad grammar and though I am tolerant mostly, what really irritates are those posters who seem to delight in posting their thoughts all in one huge paragraph with sentences loosely strung together and where I am forced to re-read the material over and over again to attempt to make some sense of it.

G77 Dec 27th 2009 3:53 am

Originally Posted by montreal mike (Post 8198705)
I do note bad grammar and though I am tolerant mostly, what really irritates are those posters who seem to delight in posting their thoughts all in one huge paragraph with sentences loosely strung together and where I am forced to re-read the material over and over again to attempt to make some sense of it.

Exactly - if you can't even type something without making coherent sense, then you shouldn't be trying to start a life in a new country....

Oink Dec 27th 2009 3:56 am

Ain't all grammer just stylistic?

G77 Dec 27th 2009 3:58 am

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 8198715)
Ain't all grammer just stylistic?

Within limits.... style is one thing, blatant ignorance is another!

montreal mike Dec 27th 2009 3:59 am

Originally Posted by G77 (Post 8198709)
Exactly - if you can't even type something without making coherent sense, then you shouldn't be trying to start a life in a new country....

I have often wondered whether a British education is still worth anything? I can recall the standards were very high when I finished grammar school in 1962.

I also have no use for the spellchecker. I was taught to use my brain and not rely on some robot.

G77 Dec 27th 2009 4:01 am

Originally Posted by montreal mike (Post 8198718)
I have often wondered whether a British education is still worth anything? I can recall the standards were very high when I finished grammar school in 1962.

I also have no use for the spellchecker. I was taught to use my brain and not rely on some robot.

I finished my (university) education in 2000 - whilst I didn't take English past GCSE (1994), I would like to think I have a reasonable grasp on the language and find only very few words that I need the spell checker for. I wish the same could be said for many people allowed lose on t'internet....

bsmith Dec 27th 2009 4:02 am

Originally Posted by G77 (Post 8198709)

...you may want to have a look at that. ;)

G77 Dec 27th 2009 4:04 am

Originally Posted by bsmith (Post 8198722)

Enlighten me. Is "Exactly -" your issue?

Bijilo123 Dec 27th 2009 4:05 am

Originally Posted by G77 (Post 8198717)
Within limits.... style is one thing, blatant ignorance is another!

I don't know how to do quantum physics or heart surgery. I can get by though.

Is this blatant ignorance too?

montreal mike Dec 27th 2009 4:07 am

Originally Posted by bsmith (Post 8198722)

Seems fine to me so what is the problem?

G77 Dec 27th 2009 4:08 am

Originally Posted by Bijilo123 (Post 8198730)
I don't know how to do quantum physics or heart surgery. I can get by though.

Is this blatant ignorance too?

Do you need to be proficient in quantum physics or heart surgery to be understood on an internet forum?