Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Avoiding unnecessary cultural misunderstandings

Avoiding unnecessary cultural misunderstandings

Old Aug 6th 2010, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Avoiding unnecessary cultural misunderstandings

What is the actual definition of a Cradle? Or is that something else that is open to interpretation?
Old Aug 6th 2010, 5:36 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cityhog
Oh it was something about the (tiny) size of the CA army. This guy was proud of his soldiers fighting in Afghanistan along with Americans. I also made fund of RCMP. I saw a doc film where RCMP were chased and killed by armed teen criminals in rural Manitoba or somewhere in CA.
Nice one.

Can't believe he didn't see the humour in fallen soldiers and murdered police officers.

Dumb Canucks
Old Aug 6th 2010, 5:36 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh it was something about the (tiny) size of the CA army. This guy was proud of his soldiers fighting in Afghanistan along with Americans. I also made fund of RCMP. I saw a doc film where RCMP were chased and killed by armed teen criminals in rural Manitoba or somewhere in CA.
uh o.

It's like criticising someone's mum. You may be right, and they may say the same but you can't say it. A bit of a faux pas if I may say so, and I have made a few myself.

My biggest blunder was muttering something about going native when one of the group was Cree.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

If someone says a word or name of something you've never heard before, don't assume you know what something means before trying to continue the conversation. Politely ask what they mean. Thats my advice anyway.

As for jokes that might be bordering on being non-politically correct, these are a real minefield. Some people here don't care and will laugh and others will demonise you for it. Very polarized.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 5:49 pm
The Pixies still Rule.

John_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dbd33
I unwittingly offended one yesterday. It was at one of those daily stand up status meetings they love. The "scrum master", a woman from Alberta, wondered if I would still be on the team, given that my original task was done.

"I expect I'll still be the odd job man" I said

"Oh, then you can be our waterboy"

"I'll see the crescent while you see the whole of the moon?"
Like that a lot. Very quick off the mark if I might say so.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 5:54 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fuschiagirl
Or is that something else that is open to interpretation?
Well yes. Ideally someone born in Canada to two parents born in Canada but, loosely, anyone born here who considers him or herself to be "Canadian" without a hyphen.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 5:56 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John_B
Like that a lot. Very quick off the mark if I might say so.
Thank you but I'd just heard the song on the "stuck in 1980" channel on Sirius.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

No, it was a joke that made everyone else laugh. FYI, I don't work in a daycare. No, he is a proud CANADIAN.
Originally Posted by R I C H
Nice one.

Can't believe he didn't see the humour in fallen soldiers and murdered police officers.

Dumb Canucks
It sure is a strange world.

I'm left wondering what field cityhog is actually in...I'm thinking it could be left field....

I'm not convinced they are not in daycare though....
Old Aug 6th 2010, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

cityhog will become famous soon enoughcityhog will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by airbornesapper

I'm left wondering what field cityhog is actually in...I'm thinking it could be left field....

It has nothing to do with fallen soldiers or police officers but more to do with penis size. Should be read in the context, but I'm not good at explaining. Yeah, my workplace is like a daycare in a way. Come to think of it, it's more like this forum.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 6:35 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

It has nothing to do with fallen soldiers or police officers but more to do with penis size.
If you told your boss he had a smaller penis than yours, it's no wonder you're now assigned to licking the toilets.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

cityhog will become famous soon enoughcityhog will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by airbornesapper

Originally Posted by R I C H
If you told your boss he had a smaller penis than yours, it's no wonder you're now assigned to licking the toilets.
It doesn't have anything to do with his size. Funny in a way as it came after some sexual jokes he made. You guys are good at putting words into my mouth. FYI we have a cleaning lady in our dept.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 6:48 pm
The Pixies still Rule.

John_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to behold

What's the difference between Canada and a Yogurt?

Spoiler:

If you leave a yogurt alone for long enough, it will develop it's own culture!
Old Aug 6th 2010, 6:48 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like we have some unnecessary cultural misunderstanding right here.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 6:49 pm
Pea Brain

It doesn't have anything to do with his size.
So did you just call him a cock?

Funny in a way as it came after some sexual jokes he made.
Just 'cos the boss is lewd, it doesn't mean you have permission to denigrate the armed forces or RCMP. I'm not surprised you got a negative reaction.

You guys are good at putting words into my mouth.
If you're angling for anything more than words, I'm the wrong guy, boy friend. I can't speak for the sapper.

FYI we have a cleaning lady in our dept.
I guess it's too big a job to do on your own?

Last edited by R I C H; Aug 6th 2010 at 6:51 pm.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

I feel the bosses pain.......

The incident where you were making fun of the RCMP was I believe the Mayerthorpe incident in Alberta....the RCMP were not chased rather ambushed and 4 officers murdered.

Feel free to enlighten yourself...and good luck with your next funny.

The Mayerthorpe incident:

Other officers initially went to the farm to assist bailiffs in trying to repossess a truck but Roszko fled in it. Numerous stolen vehicle parts and a marijuana grow-op were found on the premises.

Search warrants were obtained and executed. Constables Gordon and Johnston were providing scene security. Cst. Schiemann arrived to drop off Cst. Myrol. The four officers were ambushed inside a Quonset shed on the farm. Roszko had returned to the property after getting a ride from Shawn Hennessey and Dennis Cheeseman during the night and laid in wait for an opportunity.

After fatally shooting the four officers, Roszko emerged from the shed and fired on two other officers who had just arrived and were preparing to examine the vehicles on the property. The officers were not hit, and returned fire. Roszko, wounded during either the initial exchange of gunfire or during the exchange with the two officers outside, then retreated into the shed.
After losing radio contact with the officers in the shed, RCMP Emergency Response Teams and an armoured vehicle from the Canadian Forces' Edmonton Garrison were called in, and the airspace over the property was closed. The four officers and Roszko were all found fatally shot; it was later determined that Roszko killed all four officers, and then turned his weapon on himself.

One of the deceased officers, Constable Brock Warren Myrol, had graduated a month before from the RCMP Academy, Depot Division. He had been on duty only 17 days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayerthorpe_incident

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.