Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Avoiding unnecessary cultural misunderstandings

Avoiding unnecessary cultural misunderstandings

Old Aug 6th 2010, 2:54 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Avoiding unnecessary cultural misunderstandings

I thought this topic might be useful to stop new immigrants getting into a sticky situation because of a cultural misunderstanding. I realise Canadians have little sense of humour and they tend to take themselves and their situation too seriously but has one else found that cradles are too easy to take offense at the slightest comment or action? Even sober, I seem to unintentionally piss off cradles on an increasing level, they are a touchy bunch and it doesn’t take much to set them off. Does anyone else have this problem and, if so, what do you find sets them off? Also, what’s the worst thing you’ve said or done that seemed to get their goat?

Last edited by Oink; Aug 6th 2010 at 2:57 pm.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 3:08 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Avoiding unnecessary cultural misunderstandings

Originally Posted by Oink
I thought this topic might be useful to stop new immigrants getting into a sticky situation because of a cultural misunderstanding. I realise Canadians have little sense of humour and they tend to take themselves and their situation too seriously but has one else found that cradles are too easy to take offense at the slightest comment or action? Even sober, I seem to unintentionally piss off cradles on an increasing level, they are a touchy bunch and it doesn’t take much to set them off. Does anyone else have this problem and, if so, what do you find sets them off? Also, what’s the worst thing you’ve said or done that seemed to get their goat?
I think good advice is always leave their goats alone. Get your own.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 3:10 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I unwittingly offended one yesterday. It was at one of those daily stand up status meetings they love. The "scrum master", a woman from Alberta, wondered if I would still be on the team, given that my original task was done.

"I expect I'll still be the odd job man" I said

"Oh, then you can be our waterboy"

"I'll see the crescent while you see the whole of the moon?"

A couple of people laughed. An English voice said "showing our age there".

The Albertan, of course, didn't know the song and assumed the remark somehow related to buttocks. And she does have commodious buttocks. She huffed. I expect she huffed all the way to the WestJet terminal.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 3:13 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I I seem to unintentionally piss off cradles on an increasing level,
Point of clarification: Not just 'cradles'.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 3:17 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

I find the best thing to do is never to speak to any Canadians at all, ever. Gesticulate a bit if you need to to make yourself understood - in a shop, say, or in a Service Canada office - but grunting and finger-pointing usually works. Otherwise they'll only misinterpret what you say and get all grumpy.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 3:17 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Point of clarification: Not just 'cradles'.
That is as it may be, but you only have to mention how crappy their schools are or how their beer tastes like gnats piss and they very easily get the hump.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

cityhog will become famous soon enoughcityhog will become famous soon enough

You tell me! You make fun of or hurt their little Canadian pride, and they literally try to get all over you. Gang up on you and worse get your ass blacklisted, which can be done easily in Canada as there are not many "real" jobs in my field.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

Remind these cradle **nts your British (as they are likely trying to forget you are)....so here are a couple of nice pleasant well crafted tunes to emanate from your tinny Cdn office speakers..........

http://www.lyricsg.com/188447/lyrics...onelbogey.html

http://www.lyricsg.com/178419/lyrics...longstome.html

Help make your little corner reminiscent of a bit of old England........
Old Aug 6th 2010, 4:28 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cityhog
You tell me! You make fun of or hurt their little Canadian pride, and they literally try to get all over you. Gang up on you and worse get your ass blacklisted, which can be done easily in Canada as there are not many "real" jobs in my field.
oh dear. Is someone actually taking this thread seriously? You're not a Cradle in disguise, are you?
Old Aug 6th 2010, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
oh dear. Is someone actually taking this thread seriously? You're not a Cradle in disguise, are you?
No, I'm not. My CA boss is still fuming over a joke I made three yrs ago. Since then, my ass has been on the line, and I've been getting all the worst assignments in my dept.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 4:50 pm
Magnificently Withering

No, I'm not. My CA boss is still fuming over a joke I made three yrs ago. Since then, my ass has been on the line, and I've been getting all the worst assignments in my dept.
I don't suppose you have ever paused to consider the possibility it might not be a three-year-old joke, but your generally combative and chippy attitude, that gets you the worst assignments? Just a thought....

Your boss is a Chartered Accountant? Works for Computer Associates? Lives in California? Is an approximation?
Old Aug 6th 2010, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
I don't suppose you have ever paused to consider the possibility it might not be a three-year-old joke, but your generally combative and chippy attitude, that gets you the worst assignments? Just a thought....

Your boss is a Chartered Accountant? Works for Computer Associates? Lives in California? Is an approximation?
No, it was a joke that made everyone else laugh. FYI, I don't work in a daycare. No, he is a proud CANADIAN.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 5:11 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

No, it was a joke that made everyone else laugh. FYI, I don't work in a daycare. No, he is a proud CANADIAN.
What was the joke?
Old Aug 6th 2010, 5:26 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
What was the joke?
I think it was about arabs.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fledermaus
What was the joke?
Oh it was something about the (tiny) size of the CA army. This guy was proud of his soldiers fighting in Afghanistan along with Americans. I also made fun of RCMP. I saw a doc film where RCMP were chased and killed by armed teen criminals in rural Manitoba or somewhere in CA.

Last edited by cityhog; Aug 6th 2010 at 6:32 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.