Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Another sad loss...Jade Goody has passed away

Wikiposts

Another sad loss...Jade Goody has passed away

Old Mar 26th 2009, 3:04 am
BE Enthusiast

nooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Another sad loss...Jade Goody has passed away

Um I don't see any fury here. Or abuse for that matter. I think that most of the irritation is that the individual in question did not lead a particularly laudable life, and yet is being treated as if she was something incredibly special. For those people who have lost friends and family in similarly sad circumstances I imagine that is particularly grating. It's all a bit Victorian to me, the concept that just because someone dies young they are therefore "close to the angels". Also this is someone who in her very public life since BB has not represented let's say the best of Britain, personally I find it fairly incomprehensible that anyone was interested in her at all after Big Brother. Since when was saying what you think commendable, when what you think is ignorant, stupid and often unpleasant?
Old Mar 26th 2009, 3:05 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by london52
I suggest you do before forming an opinion.
I think Ms. Goody is fair game. If one becomes a meejah whore then one should expect all manner of nasty comments. So long as malice is directed at her I see no harm in it, attacking other posters is more questionable.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 3:06 am
BE Enthusiast

lucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by oldbag
All this rubbish about her "bravery" and "courage", I feel, is innapropriate.......I know many people who live with cancer, and other equally dreadful illnesses, and just get on with their lives quietly and with dignity, and without the publicity that she so clearly sought. My criticism is also levelled at those who hold her up as some sort of heroine, making her into something she most certainly was not. At this rate she'll be canonised....it's gone way too far.
Who's to say what is the 'correct' way to behave when you're told you're going to die, who says getting on with dying and living your life quietly is how it should be done. Who are YOU to decide that? Personally I think until it happens you don't know how you're going to react and also I don't think it matters, you do what you need to do to get yourself through it and to do what's best for your family. Whether that be shouting it from the roof tops or hiding it away.

Yeah it's a bit of a media circus but so what, I don't think Jade's a heroine anymore than any other person who has to deal with this situation but she did what she did, she made a ton of money to ensure her kids were looked after, she highlighted the disease to so many women who just wouldn't get themselves tested and if people want to go and watch her funeral on big telly screens outside the church and if they get some comfort from that so be it. You don't like it...don't read the stories, there is no harm done and the drama will quiet down soon enough.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 3:13 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently you can't speak ill of the dead but having a go at other posters' opinions is fair game. Who'd a thunk it.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 3:16 am
Banned

london52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lucieg
Who's to say what is the 'correct' way to behave when you're told you're going to die, who says getting on with dying and living your life quietly is how it should be done. Who are YOU to decide that? Personally I think until it happens you don't know how you're going to react and also I don't think it matters, you do what you need to do to get yourself through it and to do what's best for your family. Whether that be shouting it from the roof tops or hiding it away.

Yeah it's a bit of a media circus but so what, I don't think Jade's a heroine anymore than any other person who has to deal with this situation but she did what she did, she made a ton of money to ensure her kids were looked after, she highlighted the disease to so many women who just wouldn't get themselves tested and if people want to go and watch her funeral on big telly screens outside the church and if they get some comfort from that so be it. You don't like it...don't read the stories, there is no harm done and the drama will quiet down soon enough.
Good post.. she has probably saved the lives of quite a few women who would not have gone for a test but have done due to her TV show, she has done whether you like or dislike her more than any of us in saving some young women’s lives

Last edited by london52; Mar 26th 2009 at 3:19 am.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Pammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of light

Not sure if anyone had already said this.....

Maybe she should have donated some to the child cancer unit and let her kids still have some but just enough to ensure they lead a 'normal life' .
Old Mar 26th 2009, 3:19 am
BE Enthusiast

lucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tangram
Apparently you can't speak ill of the dead but having a go at other posters' opinions is fair game. Who'd a thunk it.
If that was directed at me...I'm merely putting my opinion across about something another poster said. Not attacking...she is entitled to her opinion and to say it as much as I am.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 3:22 am
Banned

london52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pammy

Maybe she should have donated some to the child cancer unit and let her kids still have some but just enough to ensure they lead a 'normal life' .
Why should she...Child cancer unit should not be funded by donations.
We should pay more tax and have a proper health service.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 3:23 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Would you?
Old Mar 26th 2009, 3:23 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lucieg
If that was directed at me...I'm merely putting my opinion across about something another poster said. Not attacking...she is entitled to her opinion and to say it as much as I am.
No it wasn't lucie.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 3:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Would you?
Lol I was actually going to say those exact words....but then couldn't be bothered.

Originally Posted by Tangram
No it wasn't lucie.
Cool
Old Mar 26th 2009, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Pammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of light

Would you?
As a matter of fact YES, my husband and I have no children and no family who need our money so we have already taken care of things so that our estate goes to the Stollery in Edmonton and trust me they will do OK out of us.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 3:26 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Many mention she (or Max Clifford) brought the media avalanche down on her and her family to ensure her kids are financially comfortable. I personally cannot fathom why this was the best option for her and her family (mainly her children)

She was already a wealthy woman and the children's fathers minor celebrity career deems him financially comfortable. I feel the impact the excess coverage will have on the kids could easily be deeply routed more so than the death of their mother.

Another thing i condone is the fact that she married her boyfriend who is a violent criminal. Again, not so good for the kids in my opinion. His court date for assault is due to take place on the day of her funeral. Classy.

So to say she's doing it for her kids, as right as it was in her mind (or at least that's what she may have been told), i feel will have a negative impact on them.

And finally, when you sell yourself to the public in this way you can pretty much guarantee some negativity and callousness towards you as that's how the world is. Once again, this has a negative impact on the family.

There are some things money cannot buy.

My own personal ramblings of course.

PS, i'm in no way belittling her illness or Cancer for that matter, i just find certain things were done and will be done in bad taste.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 3:26 am
Banned

Would you?
100% I would pay more tax if we had a better health service, experts say 2p extra in the pound across the board would improve our health service so much it would be on a par with the best in the world.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 3:30 am
BE Enthusiast

As a matter of fact YES, my husband and I have no children and no family who need our money so we have already taken care of things so that our estate goes to the Stollery in Edmonton and trust me they will do OK out of us.
I think that's the key difference though, her kids are really young and you never know what might happen in the future.

Isn't there some ridiculously high figure anyway like it costs a million just to get a kid to the age of 18? Who's to say what a normal cost of upbringing is anyway...and no-one knows what it will be in 10 years time when they will still need supporting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.