Penang Food

Old Jan 13th 2016, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Penang Food

Ta, will have to try that.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 9:07 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Penang Food - Love Nyonya Kuih?

Love Nyonya Kuih?

Really good nyonya kuih seems harder to find these days in Penang.
In George Town, I like Moh Teug Pheow Nonya Koay, the little traditional kuih factory at the end of Jalan Masjid (a small alley off Chulia street) - a hidden gem that’s been there for 60 years or more. You can eat kuih there too if you like.

That said, the other day I spotted a new place for Nyonya kuih - Heritage Recipe House, 200 B, Jalan Transfer, opposite the police station. Clean place, and delicious kuih. It may be better to go after CNY as they are making less kuih and more CNY cookies at present.

Any other recommendations?

JC3
Old Feb 4th 2016, 7:56 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Croisette Cafe

I had the set lunch with a couple of friends today. (C'mon guys, stop lurking and post something on here )

I must say it was very very nice food. The set lunch is 3 courses plus coffee or tea for MYR 30. When I say 3 courses, they are actually quite small portions. The French onion soup was just Yum.

Timothy Tye did a review on the place on his site. I'll plop in a link below. It's maybe a little bit out of date but there's a good map at the bottom showing exactly where the place is situated.

Easy parking outside on the road, or on the service road outside Tg Beach condo.
Croisette Cafe, Tanjung Bungah, Penang
Old Feb 4th 2016, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Croisette Cafe

I had the set lunch with a couple of friends today. (C'mon guys, stop lurking and post something on here )

I must say it was very very nice food. The set lunch is 3 courses plus coffee or tea for MYR 30. When I say 3 courses, they are actually quite small portions. The French onion soup was just Yum.

Timothy Tye did a review on the place on his site. I'll plop in a link below. It's maybe a little bit out of date but there's a good map at the bottom showing exactly where the place is situated.

Easy parking outside on the road, or on the service road outside Tg Beach condo.
Croisette Cafe, Tanjung Bungah, Penang
That looks a must foir us in two weeks.
Old Feb 4th 2016, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Today I tried

Home Style Restoran

in Tanjung Bungah for dinner. Apparently this is a popular restaurant as all tables were occupied (I was lucky to get a table without having to wait). They serve Chinese food and it tasted very good. We shared six dishes between the two of us, drank some pu-er tea with it, and paid approximately RM 60.
I will certainly go back another day.
Old Feb 20th 2016, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JC3
Love Nyonya Kuih?

Really good nyonya kuih seems harder to find these days in Penang.
In George Town, I like Moh Teug Pheow Nonya Koay, the little traditional kuih factory at the end of Jalan Masjid (a small alley off Chulia street) - a hidden gem that’s been there for 60 years or more. You can eat kuih there too if you like.

That said, the other day I spotted a new place for Nyonya kuih - Heritage Recipe House, 200 B, Jalan Transfer, opposite the police station. Clean place, and delicious kuih. It may be better to go after CNY as they are making less kuih and more CNY cookies at present.

Any other recommendations?

JC3
Yeah.

The best Nyonya food we've had in ages, apart from when I cook it obviously, was when we went to Nyonya Breeze in Straits Quay last week.
The Otak Otak, although not wrapped inside a banana leaf tasted exactly as I'd expect.
The Itek Tim tasted a bit lacking but I put that down to my having a heavy head cold.
The Hong Bak was excellent although I'd've called it Babi Pongteh so we chatted to the chef who supervises the cooking, rather than doing it herself these days because Peranakan cooking is labour intensive, and she was really friendly and open about the ingredients she uses because all cooks change things slightly.
Anyway my wife is very good at remembering ingredients and in the Hong Bak they matched what we use for Babi Pongteh except the chef in Nyonya Breeze uses Chiu Lor, I think that's what she said, which is a type of galangal/ginger which we hadn't heard of or seen down here.

The Itek Tim was similar ingredients to what we use although as I said we didn't see or taste any tomatoes, sour plum or I'll have to ask the missus what the other one was but the chef said she uses them all.

This place is well worth a visit not only for the food but for a chat to the very friendly chef.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

IanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: Penang Food

Was in Penang / KL for CNY, not yet sorted out when we'll make the jump to retiring that depends on SWMBO. Anyway tried this place twice, once dinner and once lunch defo will go back again next time.

Last edited by IanBlakeley; Feb 24th 2016 at 11:52 am. Reason: Shrunk image
Old Feb 24th 2016, 11:30 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex reg
Yeah.

The best Nyonya food we've had in ages....was when we went to Nyonya Breeze in Straits Quay...
This place is well worth a visit....
It's one of our favourites too.
We like the Curry Kapitan, Huan chu heok masak lemak (sweet potato leaf curry), the Rendang and the Lobak. It tastes just like a certain Amah's cooking used to.
I'm salivating now just thinking about it.

JC3

Last edited by JC3; Feb 24th 2016 at 11:34 am.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 12:31 am
BE Enthusiast

columbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond repute

Ivy's a nice little family eatery. Been there twice for dinner, once on varenda and once inside. Just a few tables inside and about 4 outside. Only complaint is the mosquitoes enjoyed feeding on us. Must remember to spray with OFF when we get out of car next time.
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Just to add another place well worth the visit even though it is a pain to get to.
Hai Boey Seafood which is along Jalan Gertak Sanggul at the south of the island.

Good seafood reasonably priced.
Only open from 5-30pm, no lunch but the sun setting, 7pm when we were there, is worth the visit alone.

Try and chat to Lester who is the father of the wife of the owner and does a lot of the food prep.
Nice guy good english and remembered me from 2 or 3 years ago when we arrived at lunchtime and he was just getting out of a boat having just been collecting a type of shell which I'd never seen before but which he used to eat but not sell at the restaurant but fished for as a hobby.
Old Mar 27th 2016, 1:37 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

Penang Grouper –Wild or Sea-Farmed?

I knew seabass here were often farmed, but not Grouper too.

More here:
Penang fishes for new growth in old waters- Nikkei Asian Review

JC3

Last edited by JC3; Mar 27th 2016 at 1:39 am.
Old Mar 27th 2016, 2:12 am
BE Enthusiast

columbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond repute

Grouper is one of our favourite fish. Yes,mostly farmed according to the fish vendor.
The old guy at Mt Erskin wet mkt who sells mainly big groupers in segments,he said are fished not farmed. Not on ice as he gets them fresh same morning. He usually has about 2 big ones and they go fast as its fresher than other stalls.
The ones I buy in HK are live ones, taste lots better and most are from Sabah. They transport them live to the wet markets. Those fresh on ice cost less.
But unfortunately wet markets in Pg sell most groupers on ice.
Old Mar 27th 2016, 2:26 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

Originally Posted by columbine
The old guy at Mt Erskin wet mkt who sells mainly big groupers in segments.
Hi Columbine,

I stopped by the roadside fish vendor near the Infinity Condo opposite the Tanjung Bungah wet market last week to check on prices. He said his Grouper segments were RM65 a kilo. His whole Red Snapper was RM50 a kilo.
I thought both sounded expensive, but didn't sense any 'skin tax' involved. May I ask what are you paying?

I paid RM20 a kilo for Red Snapper at Teluk Bahang wet market recently (although annoyingly the following week I had to knock it down from RM25) but I think local Malaysians probably pay even less.

JC3
Old Mar 27th 2016, 6:46 am
BE Enthusiast

That roadside fish vendor is expensive!

Prices depends on the type of groupers. The ones in wet markets and Tesco are the common type and the cheapest type. So I'm referring to this type.
The small groupers about 10" long each about rm12 per fish, and if go 11am
can get for rm8. Couple of times got it for rm6 each so I bought 2.
The big segments are about rm40+ mostly meat.
Bought red snaper couple times, but dont remember the price, lots cheaper than grouper.
Prices at wet markets are cheaper than Tesco's

In HK I bought 1 live common grouper about half a kilo for hk70.

Last edited by columbine; Mar 27th 2016 at 7:01 am.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 1:33 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

Many thanks for the pricing information Columbine. It's good to know.

JC3

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.