Penang Food

Old May 24th 2016, 8:46 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Penang Food

Originally Posted by TousTnT
I had a lunchtime special (weekdays only) in Nonya Breeze at Straits Quay today. Soup, meat dish, veggie dish, rice & iced tea for 16.20 Rm inclusive. The food was very tasty, the venue immaculate & the service charming.
Eating out in Penang is one of the main attractions for me.
I walked past there at lunchtime today

We (a group of 7 of us) were on our way to Blue Reef. Still doing great Fish n Chips (in my opinion) and with malt vinegar....wow!! With the plus plus, it came to RM 21.

I always feel sorry for those poor battered fish though.
Old May 24th 2016, 1:56 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
I always feel sorry for those poor battered fish though.
I feel sorry for poor battered husbands
Old May 24th 2016, 2:22 pm
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
I feel sorry for poor battered husbands
Oh cod, I can’t take any more of these fish puns, I’m outta this plaice!

JC3
Old May 24th 2016, 10:51 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JC3
Oh cod, I can’t take any more of these fish puns, I’m outta this plaice!

JC3
You've just got a chip on your shoulder.
Old May 25th 2016, 5:09 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Not bad but cod do batter!
Old May 25th 2016, 9:35 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

You're squidding!

Not bad but cod do batter!
Oh for Cod's hake! Once you can tell a good fish pun, let minnow!

JC3
Old May 25th 2016, 9:39 am
Hostage Negotiator

Originally Posted by JC3
You're squidding!

Oh for Cod's hake! Once you can tell a good fish pun, let minnow!

JC3
Ah we're googling for fish puns now are we
Old May 25th 2016, 11:15 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

Ah we're googling for fish puns now are we
What, like this one do you mean? Do I espy nosism?

I'm trawling the web...

JC3
Attached Thumbnails Penang Food-fishpuns_com-template-1.png  

Last edited by JC3; May 25th 2016 at 11:34 am.
Old May 26th 2016, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

NeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by owned
Amphan

Wow, my favorite Thai on the Island now. And knowing how good Chok D is I don't say this lightly.

Its where the old middle eastern restaurant was at the end of food street in Tanjung Bungah (by the 7-11). Its run by a Thai lady called Amphan and she is the nicest person you could wish to meet. She is married to a Local Malaysian man and she has just opened the restaurant. It also serves dim sum from 6.30am in the morning.

I tried the green chicken curry, 2 types of rice (a tamyam fried rice and some kind of chicken rice) both of which made any Chok D rice look pathetic, and a pad thai, which was the best I've ever had anywhere. All of it was unbelievable and I'm going to have a short nap now dreaming of that food as I fall asleep.

Amphan cooked the meal we had and I hope she continues to cook all the meals there as its that good. Go before this place gets busy though, as it won't be long before its packed. Being able to sit either inside or outside is also nice and you will not be shocked by the bill. A can of beer is only 8RM.
Originally Posted by JC3
Went to try out Amphan Thai restaurant (Hillside, Tanjung Bungah) on Saturday night.
Felt like a different restaurant to the one described above. No pleasant greeting on arrival, the menu was in disarray with lots of loose pages falling out (I had to re-assemble the pages myself to make sense of it), service was poor, our drinks took ages to arrive, and when they did it was clear the waiter didn’t understand the term a ‘bottle of water’. The (small) Pad Thai was very so so and only two prawns to boot.
Perhaps Amphan herself wasn’t cooking that night?
It was cheap and perhaps you get what you pay for, but frankly I don’t think we did. Disappointed.

JC3
Gave Amphan a try this evening and had yet a third experience that is unlike either of the previous two so here is our experience.

Upon entry we were greeted with a smile and patience as my wife fought to decide where she would like to sit. There is a choice of in-door or out-door sitting and as one of the reasons for moving to SE Asia is the ability to eat outside almost every night, which is a rare commodity in the UK, we choose an outside table. The tables are solid wood with solid wood chairs so quite pleasant and the well covered area is screened off from the road by bamboo screens and enough green plants for you to forget there is a road right outside.

The waiter brought us two menus, each a single sheet of plasticised paper, one for food and one for beverages. So no sorting through the pages. The menu is a plus point or a negative one depending on your point of view. Either you think the kitchen is concentrating on their popular dishes that they do well or like Sushifan and No Eye Dear visits will be restricted due to the lack of variety.

We sampled four dishes from the menu. The chicken in pandan leaves were a little smaller than you mostly find in Thai Restaurants but priced individually you can order as many (or as few) as you like. This is a good plus as often this dish comes with 4 or 5 pieces and we struggle with any additional appetiser when there is just two of us. The chicken was well cooked and moist although could have benefited from some additional seasoning. The Som Tham salad was very good with authentic ingredients (not bulked out with local produce) and sharp and spicy. The lemon squid was reasonably tender and covered in a very authentic green chilly and lime sauce. Our final choice was a chicken penang curry. This was a little strange in that it was flavoured with cinnamon that you would not find in an authentic Thai penang curry but it was very tasty and reasonably hot and most unlikely to have come out of a tin.

This is clearly a small start up with a one wok kitchen so food is delivered one dish at a time. We only saw three staff and with four tables to cover they were working quite hard so service could be considered slow or pleasantly relaxed depending on your point of view.

Four dishes, two rice and two beers cost just 83RM. In my view this was excellent value for money and quite authentic in taste and ambience to any small restaurant in Thailand.
Old May 26th 2016, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NeonHippy

Upon entry we were greeted with a smile and patience as my wife fought to decide where she would like to sit.
Are all wives like this.
At every restaurant even ones we have ate at before my missus takes at least three goes to decide where she wants to sit.

I tried letting her make her choice.
I've tried being forceful and saying this is where we'll sit.
I've tried letting the waiters/waitresses decide.
Even when we phone to book a table which we've eaten at before we still have to change tables.

Makes no difference.
We always have to change tables.
Old Jun 1st 2016, 2:46 am
Forum Regular

owned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond repute

I go to Amphans quite regularly and unfortunately its become hit and miss.

If you go at lunch time and its not busy them Amphan will cook and your in for some of the best Thai cooking I've ever had. If you go on an evening and it starts to get a bit busy, i.e. more than 3 tables then other staff will help Amphan to cook and that's where the problems start.

I went with IVV the other day in the evening and the first 3 dishes that came out were lovely and obviously cooked by Amphan, it started to get busy and the other dishes were arriving late and were to be honest some of the worst Thai food I've ever had.

So timing is critical with this restaurant, which is not great as good restaurants have consistency. I still go for lunch often it its not busy as when its good, it really is amazing.
Old Jun 18th 2016, 5:52 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

Mrs JC3 and I returned to Up and Above for dinner this week. This is a cosy, fairly smart ‘European’ restaurant that recently opened in Pulau Tikus (37-D Cantonment Road, opp. the Post Office).
We enjoyed good food, good service, a nice ambience, and a rather good Pays d’Oc house red, with linen tablecloths and napkins at dinner. Three course dinner for two costs about RM200 – RM250 (wine extra).

Whilst there, we noticed the C’est Bon Lunch Special menu looks like a bargain, see photo, and also that Up and Above does not use MSG, preservative or colouring.
The manager said it gets very busy at lunch with local office workers, so it’s probably best to book.
Tel: 012 426 6337
Welcome to Up and Above European Cuisine | Up and Above European Cuisine

Another absolute bargain we had this month was the Buffet Lunch at Sarkies Restaurant at the E&O hotel, at 50% off food for ‘Seniors’. Our bill for two came to RM80. Incredible!
They don’t seem to promote the discount too loudly, so you may have to ask for it.

JC3
Attached Thumbnails Penang Food-up-above-lunch-menu.jpg  
Old Jun 18th 2016, 7:38 am
Hostage Negotiator

It's good that you have been back and still been impressed. Generally, we tend to be too easily influenced by impressions on a first visit to a restaurant but if we go back and still enjoy it then that is probably a more valuable recommendation.
Old Jul 19th 2016, 4:59 am
Just Joined

damas7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Penang Food

Originally Posted by Strider24
I know I'm going to be shot down into a million pieces, as it seems to be a universal feeling that Penang has the best food. Don't get me wrong I love Penang and the food generally is OK. But NOT the best. There is as good or better to be found in most parts of the country and usually at a much cheaper price. A superb won ton with home made soi gow and home made char siew in Selayang has gone up to $3.80 for a plate and soup that is a complete meal. I have yet to find nearly as good in Penang and prices for what I would call a half plate around $5.00. One exception is behind the markets in Jln Kuala Kangsar where a reasonable small plate can be had for $2.50.

Penang is "famous" for Char Kuah Teow, but with one exception at Kampung Kuala Sungai Pinang, they are ordinary and again hall plate for around $4-5. Places like Kampung Koh have vastly superior Char Kuah Teow "full" plate for $2.80. And so it goes.

Lets say Penang has a variety of "nice" food at higher than average prices and if you want a good corner roti canai and teh tarik, leave Penang as its just too hard to find...probably as they can't charge exorbinate prices for it without outcry.
Sometimes, it all boils down to personal taste. If you've grown accustomed to certain taste or ingredients in a plate of char kueh teow (fried flat noodle) no amount of reasoning can change your tastebud!
Old Aug 18th 2016, 2:55 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

Feeling hungry?

Fancy Nasi kandar, Assam laksa, Curry mee, Rojak, Char koay teow, Hokkien mee, Wantan mee or Char koay kak?

Zafigo.com (a website for women travellers in Asia and the Middle East) have picked the best of the best and shortlisted suggestions from myPenang, Ladyironchef and Tourder’s.

See: 8 Dishes You Must Try When In Penang | Zafigo

Happy eating!

JC3

PS. Anybody got any tips for where's best for Satay? Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.