Penang Food

Old Sep 24th 2015, 12:54 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Penang Food

Japanese place around the corner from me admitted to using MSG (not sushi) so have not frequented there. At least they were honest enough to admit though .
Old Sep 24th 2015, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond repute

You can find MSG in most Knorr spices and sauces as well as in many soy sauces, etc.
So just because someone says that they don't use MSG, they may still unknowingly do.
And MSG is probably the reason for cheap street food tasting so nice!

The safest is therefore (if you are sensitive to MSG) to completely avoid sauces, soups and most street foods altogether.
Unless of course you can verify the ingredients they use in their cooking.
Old Sep 25th 2015, 9:15 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I ate at Gusto Cafe (Tg Bungah hillside) for the first time today for a brunch with chums. Blimey, so busy in there. Was rather surprised. It was only 11.30am. Why aren't these folks working?

Anyway, very nice bustling and organized place. I had a HappyBurger and an iced lime slush(?) RM 17. Not bad.
Old Sep 25th 2015, 9:30 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
I ate at Gusto Cafe (Tg Bungah hillside) for the first time today for a brunch with chums. Blimey, so busy in there. Was rather surprised. It was only 11.30am. Why aren't these folks working?

Because it's school holidays this week I expect

JC3
Old Sep 25th 2015, 9:38 am

Yes maybe. Dalat school was still in operation. Different holidays for international schools, isn't it. Had been advised by a friend to get in there before midday as it gets packed with Dalat students.... and it did
Old Sep 28th 2015, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

InFlagranteDelicto is an unknown quantity at this point

Havent read through the entire thread so maybe has been mentioned, but can anyone tell me the neame of the Thai curry restaurant on the very top of the hill out past the airport. Above the chicken ranch. Magnificent views of the coast and cheap and servicable Thai curry. Sorry for scant detail....
Old Sep 28th 2015, 1:32 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InFlagranteDelicto
Havent read through the entire thread so maybe has been mentioned, but can anyone tell me the neame of the Thai curry restaurant on the very top of the hill out past the airport. Above the chicken ranch. Magnificent views of the coast and cheap and servicable Thai curry. Sorry for scant detail....

Bukit Genting Hill Leisure Park and Restaurant. I don't think the restaurant has a name other than Bukit Genting Hill Restaurant.

"Bukit" means "hill" in Malay, so it looks a bit odd to repeat it twice in the name of the park and restaurant.

JC3
Old Sep 28th 2015, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

InFlagranteDelicto is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JC3
Bukit Genting Hill Leisure Park and Restaurant. I don't think the restaurant has a name other than Bukit Genting Hill Restaurant.

"Bukit" means "hill" in Malay, so it looks a bit odd to repeat it twice in the name of the park and restaurant.

JC3
Cheers that is the one. Great place to watch the sun go down. Always fun driving up a hill so steep you cant see over your own bonnet as well.
Old Nov 9th 2015, 5:08 am
Just Joined

Smilecanuke has a reputation beyond reputeSmilecanuke has a reputation beyond reputeSmilecanuke has a reputation beyond reputeSmilecanuke has a reputation beyond reputeSmilecanuke has a reputation beyond reputeSmilecanuke has a reputation beyond reputeSmilecanuke has a reputation beyond reputeSmilecanuke has a reputation beyond reputeSmilecanuke has a reputation beyond reputeSmilecanuke has a reputation beyond reputeSmilecanuke has a reputation beyond repute

After being in Penang for 10 months, we still have problems finding good restaurants in Penang. I meant really good. This is what I like:
For live fish and shrimps, Khun Thai seafood, and May Garden (but they have 2 prices, if you go by taxi, they charged more as they may give kick back to the taxi driver)
For ribs, Morganfield - but last 2 times, the ribs have no pork taste, only taste the sauces.. We kind of stop going... For Japanese food, Murako? at G hotel... We also like the Singaporean Laksa at Taste café inside G hotel...
Both DH and I are allergic to MSG, so no street food for us... We find it's difficult to buy good quality meat in Penang... Please advise if you know any good butcher in town. Thank you.
Old Nov 9th 2015, 5:40 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome to the Malaysia forum. I'm a bit non-plussed by your post, I seem to discover good restaurants every week in Penang as my waistline can attest. If you like pork try the roast pork knuckle at Healy Mac's. Do you like spicy, Thai, Chinese, European? And what about he food courts, Long Beach, Red Garden etc?
Old Nov 9th 2015, 7:26 am
Just Joined

Smilecanuke has a reputation beyond reputeSmilecanuke has a reputation beyond reputeSmilecanuke has a reputation beyond reputeSmilecanuke has a reputation beyond reputeSmilecanuke has a reputation beyond reputeSmilecanuke has a reputation beyond reputeSmilecanuke has a reputation beyond reputeSmilecanuke has a reputation beyond reputeSmilecanuke has a reputation beyond reputeSmilecanuke has a reputation beyond reputeSmilecanuke has a reputation beyond repute

You can tell I'm bored. Life is too easy in Penang...I like all kind of food except Mexican, and food court... Both DH and I are allergic to MSG... My rash would pop up before I finished my food if it contains a lot of MSG... like the Siam express at Gurney Plaza...
Old Nov 9th 2015, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Smilecanuke
Both DH and I are allergic to MSG... My rash would pop up before I finished my food if it contains a lot of MSG... like the Siam express at Gurney Plaza...

Yep, me too. Commiserations. It's frustrating sometimes, isn't it. If trying Chinese or Japanese food, you just have to know if they are using, or experiment if you can stand it.

I tend to veer towards Western or Indian eateries these days as it's a safer bet though I hardly eat out nowadays.

Have you tried No Eyed Deer in Tanjung Tokong (Prima Tanjung)? They definitely don't use MSG and all home-cooked food.
Old Nov 9th 2015, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smilecanuke
After being in Penang for 10 months, we still have problems finding good restaurants in Penang. I meant really good.
Smilecanuke, I hear you! Maybe I'm spoilt by more than ten years of high quality food in Japan. I find it difficult to find food I like around Tanjung Tokong. I found one tasty Chinese restaurant in Batu Ferringgi and I noticed that the locals came by car to this restaurant as well. This gives me the impression that it has a good reputation. It is called Golden River and is an outside restaurant on the side of a street.
Old Nov 9th 2015, 1:16 pm

Yes we could do,with a Golden River in Tg Tg for sure . Like that place a lot.
Old Nov 9th 2015, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

Thank you. We will try it out and let you know... So far we try Rustic... didn't like it... May be because we were there for lunch... very limited selection... and my duck (from dinner menu as we didn't like the lunch menu) was dead a decade ago, no taste... Also tried Maple Palace, and the one at Strait Quay... but not consistent... I think depending on if the head chef is there... or may be the chef was not in a good mood... who knows...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.