Penang Food

Old Nov 25th 2011, 8:27 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Penang Food

Have fun
Old Dec 17th 2011, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

Finally a place to eat that has great food at reasonable prices, wide variety and tables on the beach (if not raining). Tsunami Village Cafe http://wikimapia.org/7352980/Tsunami-Village-Cafe

Its become one of our favorites no matter what type of food we feel like....the price always reasonable and beer cold.
Old Dec 17th 2011, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Strider24
Finally a place to eat that has great food at reasonable prices, wide variety and tables on the beach (if not raining). Tsunami Village Cafe http://wikimapia.org/7352980/Tsunami-Village-Cafe

Its become one of our favorites no matter what type of food we feel like....the price always reasonable and beer cold.
Just trying to figure out exactly where that is.

Is it close to The Crab House?
Old Dec 18th 2011, 4:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ex reg
Just trying to figure out exactly where that is.

Is it close to The Crab House?
Now you have me as I don't know The Crab House, but Tsunami Village is virtually opposite Grand Ocean Condo (Grand Ocen on Google maps!!) or about 50m the Batu Feringgi side of the Jalan Chan Siew Tiong lights on Jalan Batu Feringgi. If you come from Georgetown side you need to U turn at the floating mosque and drive into a rather strange car park signposted Tsunami Village. Park the car and walk to the beach and turn right into the cafe.

I just had a rather nice Tim Sum at Leong Kee Tim Sum at 61 Lebuh Kimberly, Georgetown. Prices were very good, ranging MR1.20-4.00 a dish and good cha. Their deep fried stuff was so so but steamed traditional dishes were rather good. Open 0530-midnight daily.
Old Dec 19th 2011, 3:09 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

We've just got a Burger King opened up across the road from us. Why why why do people want this crap in Penang when there's so much other good food? It beats me.
Old Dec 19th 2011, 6:27 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Now you have me as I don't know The Crab House, but Tsunami Village is virtually opposite Grand Ocean Condo (Grand Ocen on Google maps!!) or about 50m the Batu Feringgi side of the Jalan Chan Siew Tiong lights on Jalan Batu Feringgi. If you come from Georgetown side you need to U turn at the floating mosque and drive into a rather strange car park signposted Tsunami Village. Park the car and walk to the beach and turn right into the cafe.
I think they must both be in the same area.
After the Tsunami in 2004 there was a tide mark about 4 feet above the floor of the Crab House which was all that remained to show what had happened.
Next time in Penang we'll try out The Tsunami Village.
Old Dec 19th 2011, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Perhaps it could be the same place. I gather the fishing family who own the place, decided to call their place Tsunami after the event...sort of my sense of humour.
Old Dec 19th 2011, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

When in Penang we usually stay at the Paradise, much handier than the hotels along Batu Fringey.
So the Crab House is just 2 bus stops or a 15 minute walk.
They do prawns and crab very nicely but nothing else iirc but out the back where we eat there's a couple of stalls which deep fry small fish and cook veges.
A year or so ago I had a raging guts ache plus all the associated after eating at the Crab House and never left the hotel room for the duration of our stay. I put it down to the fish although it could have been a prawn, but it hasn't stopped us eating there, oh and I think we also had some La La there.
Next door but one are a set of stalls and a couple do Roti Prata with ice cream and bananas which we always try as well.

The first time we went there was maybe 10 years ago when we started visiting Penang again after going elsewhere.
We wanted to get away from Batu Fringey so tried the Tanjong Bungah Hotel.
They told us about the Crab House and said it was within walking distance.
Well over a very sweaty hour later, the pavement is non existant as it is alongside a lot of Penang's roads, we found the Crab House and enjoyed the meal but the missus insisted on a taxi back.
Anyway during the walk we passed the Paradise Hotel and popped in and asked to see the rooms.
Next day we moved there from the Tanjong Bungah which was a disappointment but they were very nice and returned our money which we'd pre paid over the net.
Usually use the Paradise now or the one next door, is it The Lotus????? (edit: nah it's The Flamingo, The Lotus is in Desaru ) except if we want to stay in Georgetown for a change.

Thinking about visiting next February.
Is the cable car up to Penang Hill open again now???

Last edited by ex reg; Dec 19th 2011 at 8:48 am.
Old Dec 19th 2011, 8:37 am

I believe it is now open.
Old Dec 19th 2011, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

ta
Old Dec 19th 2011, 12:24 pm

sama sama
Old Dec 19th 2011, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

Orchidgirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Just joined the site to do some research on Penang and JB as we are thinking of moving from Singapore.

I saw someone mention Marmite being under lock and key, I trust I can buy Vegemite in Penang?!
Old Dec 19th 2011, 12:45 pm

I've not seen vegemite but haven't been looking particularly . Strider will know I'm sure
Old Dec 19th 2011, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Regrettably as this is an ex British Colony you only get the copied version..Marmite. Can't beat the real thing , so need to get visitors from OZ to pack the real, original one and only Vegimite for you.
Old Dec 20th 2011, 8:34 am

Regrettably as this is an ex British Colony you only get the copied version..Marmite.
Not even worth commenting on

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.