Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Getting SKY Tv in Italy

Getting SKY Tv in Italy

Old Sep 27th 2012, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting SKY Tv in Italy

Originally Posted by duffer
Isakat, you have a big dish in the garden as well as a 1,5m on the roof? Wow you came prepared didn't you!
They are both in the garden, plus I have a normal size on the roof ( for Italian telly that we do not watch).
We got the big one several years ago when we wanted to get BBC, however, it was not enough; we were told we needed a 3m diam. one. So, if we loose the channels, this big one might not be enough like before. Thank god noone can see it.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 8:49 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Got my UK Sky+ HD's EPG updated overnight and one of the new features coming shortly with this new EPG are the TV ondemand services for the BBC, Sky, C5, ITV programs and lots of boxsets of the popular series from Sky Atlantic like Game of Thrones, Broadwalk Empire, etc.

Only recently Sky have allowed the Sky HD boxes to be connected to any broadband internet provider, not just Sky's own internet service. However, they use geolocation so if you don't have a UK IP address you probably won't be able to use this ondemand service.

I've just ordered a particular router that can be setup with my UK VPN, providing a UK IP address, in order to connect both the Sky HD box and my smart TV (also has iPlayer and Netflix - £6 per month for unlimited viewing of films and TV programs), fingers crossed it goes well, I'll report back with how I'm setup.

I'll keep you posted.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 3:43 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody Fastweb and VPNs are doing my head in!

Anyway, some news regarding the new Astra 2F satellite. Here is the link with the frequencies, looks like things are picking up very quickly, we should have the switch over from Astra 1N to 2F by the end of November -

http://www.astra2d.com/astra2f.html

Fingers crossed
Old Nov 19th 2012, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

Mr_Jackson is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, Question for duffer as you are the man with the knowledge. Will the 2f beam make it easier for us to receive uk tv here in Italy?
Old Nov 20th 2012, 7:56 am
Pull my finger

Easier than Astra 2D or Astra 1N? Probably not on both counts but this is just a guess. If it's harder to receive than Astra 2D then a lot of people will start experiencing problems in the next couple of weeks because 1N has been easier to receive than 2D and folks have been obtaining channels that they never were able to with 2D.

2F is more or less in position today at 28.2E degrees. The channels will be moving over shortly. So those with satellite metres should start scanning!

Old Nov 20th 2012, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

johnnyj is an unknown quantity at this point

Duffer

According to the Astra 1F reception map I fall under the 75cm dish size. Is it a simple case of me changing my existing 50cm dish in order to receive the signal?
Old Nov 20th 2012, 10:08 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

This thread should be re-named, Ask Duffer how to set up UK tv.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 10:29 am
Pull my finger

Originally Posted by johnnyj
Duffer

According to the Astra 2F reception map I fall under the 75cm dish size. Is it a simple case of me changing my existing 50cm dish in order to receive the signal?
There are 3 beams on 2F, one for the UK, one for Europe and one for parts of Africa. It's the footprint for the UK beam that interests us as this is where the UK channels should be on.

The official website: http://www.ses.com/4628845/astra-2f

As was the case with Astra 2D, the 'official' footprint and the actual real-life footprint were very different, i.e. real life footprint was much bigger.

Originally Posted by 37100
This thread should be re-named, Ask Duffer how to set up UK tv.
I'm still waiting for Duffer's Sex Advice sticky...
Old Nov 20th 2012, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

Bloody Fastweb and VPNs are doing my head in!
Since we changed to vodafone I can watch live tv on a saturday night through a vpn. We don't even have a dish anymore
Old Nov 20th 2012, 11:25 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still waiting for Duffer's Sex Advice sticky...
'Those who can do. Those who can't...........teach'. Just saying........
Old Nov 20th 2012, 1:53 pm
Pull my finger

And what about those that do it wrong?
Old Nov 20th 2012, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

They emigrate to Italy
Old Nov 20th 2012, 2:03 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

They become politicians, lawyers and journalists and tell the rest of us to change.......
Old Nov 21st 2012, 2:22 pm
Just Joined

Mr_Jackson is an unknown quantity at this point

so would a 120cm dish be sufficient?
Old Nov 21st 2012, 7:40 pm
Pull my finger

Might be, you're better off waiting for a couple of weeks and then asking the same question because I'm not sure you know but the UK channels are about to be transferred from one satellite to another, i.e. from Astra 1N to Astra 2F. The situation is that it's likely the UK beam on 2F will be narrower, creating a smaller footprint, than the current footprint over Europe from 1N. Hopefully it's not that much smaller, in which case, it would be more like the old footprint of Astra 2D.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.