Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Getting SKY Tv in Italy

Getting SKY Tv in Italy

Old Sep 18th 2012, 10:34 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting SKY Tv in Italy

Just been on the phone to Sky servizio clienti.

About 3 weeks I lost about 8 channels. Message just keeps coming on to unplug and plug in again. This doesn't bring the channels back.
I did the receiver diagnostic test and I have a code 34.

Sky tell me that this means the dish has moved slightly and lost all channels in section 34 or the cables are wonky and not connecting section 34.

I can call in a "tecnico di fiducia" to come and wiggle the dish or I can pay them 54 Euro to send somebody out.

Between them and Telecom I'm having a great morning.

Duffer ..... do you want to come and wiggle my dish?
Old Sep 18th 2012, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
I admire a woman who has the courage to live dangerously !!!
Old Sep 18th 2012, 2:05 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Just been on the phone to Sky servizio clienti.

About 3 weeks I lost about 8 channels. Message just keeps coming on to unplug and plug in again. This doesn't bring the channels back.
I did the receiver diagnostic test and I have a code 34.

Sky tell me that this means the dish has moved slightly and lost all channels in section 34 or the cables are wonky and not connecting section 34.

I can call in a "tecnico di fiducia" to come and wiggle the dish or I can pay them 54 Euro to send somebody out.

Between them and Telecom I'm having a great morning.

I'll wiggle yours if you wiggle mine.
Can't you do a DIY job? I can give you a bunk up if you want!
But seriously, I do all DIY work in the nude so if that's not a problem then we're all set to get you turned on again.
FWIW, for 54 Euro (assuming the dish and LNB thing on the end are outside the guarantee period) you could get a brand new dish and LNB thing - I presume you have an 80cm dish and dual LNB, i.e. for recording 1 channel and watching another at the same time.
Anyway, with this error, there could be 2 problems: the dish has been blown out of position (easy to rectify) or the LNB has been damaged (easy to replace) but you'd need to align the dish properly first.
Do you need a ladder to get up to the dish or can you access it from the roof?
Old Sep 18th 2012, 2:19 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by duffer
I'll wiggle yours if you wiggle mine.
Can't you do a DIY job? I can give you a bunk up if you want!
But seriously, I do all DIY work in the nude so if that's not a problem then we're all set to get you turned on again.
FWIW, for 54 Euro (assuming the dish and LNB thing on the end are outside the guarantee period) you could get a brand new dish and LNB thing - I presume you have an 80cm dish and dual LNB, i.e. for recording 1 channel and watching another at the same time.
Anyway, with this error, there could be 2 problems: the dish has been blown out of position (easy to rectify) or the LNB has been damaged (easy to replace) but you'd need to align the dish properly first.
Do you need a ladder to get up to the dish or can you access it from the roof?
You wouldn't even need to get on the roof Duffer.

I have floor to ceiling windows in the lounge. In front of the open door/window is a safety railing. The dish is attached to that.
I don't really understand how a dish can stay in the same place for 5 years and then suddenly shift position losing about 8 channels.
If it was that easy to move it, surely it would have moved before considering some of the terrible winds that must have hit it over the years?
Only 1 wire, do not have the sky box that records.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 9:28 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't think the dish has moved it could very well be the LNB, which could even have been fried by the heat - I assume you've had it for several years?
I'll happily have a look at it in exchange for a cup of tea and some crumpet.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by duffer
If you don't think the dish has moved it could very well be the LNB, which could even have been fried by the heat - I assume you've had it for several years?
I'll happily have a look at it in exchange for a cup of tea and some crumpet.
Got to be at least 5 or 6 years. Never been touched and never been checked. Never stopped working before (apart from the usual lost signal during storms).

How about a couple of beers and no crumpet?
Old Sep 19th 2012, 7:16 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Got to be at least 5 or 6 years. Never been touched and never been checked. Never stopped working before (apart from the usual lost signal during storms).

I got the same message too, Lorna. Had dish re-aligned, but it turned out we needed a new LNB. I wouldn't use their technician. Pay more and get someone local who will come out again if it turns out not to be the LNB. Sky's damaged our roof.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

I think Duffer prefers the crumpet
Old Sep 19th 2012, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by 37100
I got the same message too, Lorna. Had dish re-aligned, but it turned out we needed a new LNB. I wouldn't use their technician. Pay more and get someone local who will come out again if it turns out not to be the LNB. Sky's damaged our roof.
Will check the cable first then. OH is supposed to be some kind of mechanical electrician. He can check it, but he's away until the 27th.
So I wait for OH or call in Duffer
Old Sep 19th 2012, 10:22 am
Pull my finger

Crumpet!
New LNB would cost about 10-20 Euro from Brico, easy enough to replace. I think I have an old one lying around some place.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

So, we lost the BBC HD channels, the new satelite is being launched tomorrow, I wonder what else will go.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

pugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Isakat
So, we lost the BBC HD channels, the new satelite is being launched tomorrow, I wonder what else will go.
Us?
Old Sep 27th 2012, 7:00 am
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

BBC HD and BBC One HD channels have not moved satellites in the last few days, so if you have lost them this morning and you were getting them on Wednesday, you should still be getting them today.

However, they did change frequency settings overnight...and if your box has not updated automatically, then thats the reason why you cannot get them this morning.

Sky and Freesat boxes: unplug and reboot.

Other receivers - rescan using the new settings.

Old frequency settings: 10847 V 23000 8/9
New frequency settings: 10847 V 23000 2/3

The new Astra 2F is being planned to be launched tonight...it will take a few weeks for tests and placement. Then it will be in operation. Given it has both UK and Pan European beams you will not lose ALL channels. But you may find that the ones on the UK beam (expected to be BBC ITV C4 and Fives) may be harder to receive than previously and may require a larger dish to receive.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Guy
BBC HD and BBC One HD channels have not moved satellites in the last few days, so if you have lost them this morning and you were getting them on Wednesday, you should still be getting them today.

However, they did change frequency settings overnight...and if your box has not updated automatically, then thats the reason why you cannot get them this morning.

Sky and Freesat boxes: unplug and reboot.

Other receivers - rescan using the new settings.

Old frequency settings: 10847 V 23000 8/9
New frequency settings: 10847 V 23000 2/3

The new Astra 2F is being planned to be launched tonight...it will take a few weeks for tests and placement. Then it will be in operation. Given it has both UK and Pan European beams you will not lose ALL channels. But you may find that the ones on the UK beam (expected to be BBC ITV C4 and Fives) may be harder to receive than previously and may require a larger dish to receive.
Thanks,
we did reboot the box this morning, but I do not know if OH changed the frequency.
So, maybe the time has come to use our monstrosity antena in the back of the house, since the 1.5 meter might not be enough.

Thanks again for the info.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 7:44 am
Pull my finger

Isakat, you have a big dish in the garden as well as a 1,5m on the roof? Wow you came prepared didn't you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.