Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Getting SKY Tv in Italy

Getting SKY Tv in Italy

Old Jul 18th 2012, 2:28 pm
Just Joined

tinca is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting SKY Tv in Italy

I have a problem with not being able to pick up a satellite signal. I have been able to get get UK sky for the last 4 years. Sometimes the dish moves and I have to re-align it which is never really a problem.

I have one sky box all the time in Italy for the Sky FTA channels. For longer stays I bring out my sky box from home with a card and get most of the Sky channels I get at home.

When I connecting my Sky box this time there was no signal. I tried the other sky box which was the same. I went up on the roof thinking that the dish must have moved and started moving it slightly. I know the rough direction to align it and the elevation is 38 degrees. Messed for a couple of mindless hours and could get no signal whatsoever. Tried the next day and the same.

Today I went and bought a new dish and LBN in case that was the problem buy again after a couple of hours trying to align the dish I have had no joy. I cannot get any signal strength at all and the signal test screen just say " not locked" and 0000, 0000. I have not had so much a flicker of a signal!

The signal test screen does give me today's date and the time is 2 hours behind.

I am connecting the dish straight to the sky box with a cable rather than the cable that runs through the house and have tried 2 separate cables so I do not think it is a cable problem.

I am now coming to the conclusion that both sky boxes must be broke. Does the fact that I can get to the signal test screen mean that they are working okay? I put both boxes on top of each other when testing. Could this cause them any damage?

I have spent far too many hours in the baking sun trying to align the dish and would welcome any advice that anyone can give.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 2:36 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

If you are absolutely sure that the dish is aligned correctly then have you tried a new install on both Sky boxes? Remember that the channels are no longer on Astra 2D but have moved to Astra 1N. Might also be a question of leaving the box connected for several hours if it's been dormant for a while whilst it picks up the signal.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that Duffer. I'm very confident that the dish is align roughly correctly and with a little bit of movement would normally pick up a signal. I have re-aligned it on a number of occasions without a problem in the past

What do you mean by a new install?

Does the fact that both boxes can get to the signal test screen mean that the boxes are fine. I have done this may times without a problem and have tried different cables etc so the only thing I can think it could be is the boxes.

I am in Marche so cannot pick up Astra 1N as my dish is only 80cms.

One of each of the boxes has been switched on over the last few days whilst I have been trying to solve the problem.

Do you any other possibilities?

Thanks
Old Jul 18th 2012, 5:21 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

If you were picking up the BBC previously then you should be able to pick up the channels on Astra 1N because the signal is much stronger on 1N than that of 2D (BBC, ITV, etc.).

Usually these problems are related to the LNB which get fried in the heat, they need changing after 4-5 years but you have already changed the LNB, correct?

I thought maybe you could do a manual search for the channels.

On your remote, if you press services, 0, 0, 1, select you should get the engineers menu. You can then choose new install, which is basically setting it up as new.

Anyway, my details are as follow -

on the Signal menu: network ID 0002, transport stream 07e7
on the engineers menu default transponder: Frequency 11.778 V 27.5 2/3
Old Jul 19th 2012, 7:04 am
Just Joined

As much as I would like to get BBC 1 etc I do not want the size of dish that I would need in March to get those channels. I used to get ITV, CH4 ( Ireland) by manually adding them but I doubt that I will be able to pick these up any more now the satellite has moved.

Can I do a manual search for channels if I cannot even picked up a signal. I have changed the default transponder to 12.129 which I do everytime I bring my box out here. When I get the get a signal I have the network ID as 0002 and transport stream 07e7.

I have a Konig stilette finder. I have connected this to the lnb and also to the sky box and this does not light up so I do not think it is getting any power supply from the sky box. Could these be an indicator that the problem is with the sky box.

Also how accurate are the elevation marking on the dishes. My old dish was more oval whereas my new one is round. At 38 degree the oval one looks like it is a much flatter angle than the round dish.

As I know the dish is pointing in the correct direction and I have been adjusting the elevation how long would it normally take to pick up some semblance of a signal? I have spent hours slightly adjusting the dish alignment and elevation with nothing happening. The first time I set it up I did not have a clue about the alignment and elevation and still managed to sort it out after about 30 minutes just by trial an error.

This is driving me crazy!!
Old Jul 19th 2012, 9:23 am
Pull my finger

Yes I can imagine but just think how much crazier you'd already be if you had watched Italian TV instead!

Did you try using the 11.778 transponder at all?

I can only assume there is a fault with the box or the dish considering the LNB is new. Usually the LNB is getting its power from the box, as should your satellite finder. The fact that 2 of your boxes are reporting this problem could indicate some dodgy cables or connections. Please check all the connections properly, making sure there are no strands of copper wiring/shielding touching the cable because it could be a dodgy connector that is causing a short, thereby blowing both or either the LNB and box.

The Thomson boxes are quite prone to having dodgy capacitors!

Try also this -

Reset method 1 - Delete and Rescan

1.Turn the power off at the mains socket. Either do this by pulling the plug from the socket, or using a power switch if there is one.
2.Remove the viewing card from the machine. Using a dry cloth or kitchen roll, clean the gold connector on the reverse of the card. Do not use any cleaning products.
3.Check cables and connectors are in good order.
4.Wait for at least 30 seconds.
5.With the card still out of the machine, plug the Digibox back into the mains.
6.Ignore all the messages, and wait for around a minute.
7.Try 101 for BBC One, 102 for BBC Two and 103 for ITV-1.
8.Insert viewing card, wait a few seconds.
9.Check 104 for Channel 4 and 105 for five.

Reset Method 2 - Reset the LNB

If the above method does not work, the LNB may have a fault.
1.Press the [SERVICES] button and then press [4] [0] [1] then [SELECT]
On Sky HD, press the [SERVICES] button and then press [0] [0] [1] then [SELECT]
Press the buttons in the sequence above exactly - do not atttempt to use [UP] or [DOWN]. Note that when you press the second 0 and 1 nothing happens on the screen until you press the final [SELECT]. This is a "hidden menu".
2.Then press [1] to go to the RF output menu.
3.Press [DOWN] three times to highlight the line 22Khz Command and then press [RIGHT] to change the value to [OFF].
4.Press [DOWN] and [SELECT] to select Save New Settings.
5.Press [SKY].
6.Again press [SERVICES], [4], [0], [1], [SELECT]; then [1] again for the LNB Menu. (SERVICES 0 0 1 SELECT for Sky HD).
7.Now press the [RED] button (reset all settings), then [DOWN] until you can select Save New Settings again.
8.Press [SKY].

Let us know how you get on!

Old Jul 19th 2012, 1:33 pm
Just Joined

Duffer - thanks for all your help. I have now made some progress!

I started off with the transponder as 11.778 and I quickly got a flash of signal strength!. Nothing on quality Before I could lock the dish the signal strength had disappeared. However, the network ID remained as 0002 and the transport stream at 07d4. Is it still saying not locked but I don't think I have ever got it to say OK so that has never been a problem. I thought that I had cracked it. I believe that transport stream 07d4 is for responder 11.778 so I left this unchanged and hoped that I could now watch Sky. It keep saying it is searching for channel listing but nothing happens. It is showing the correct time and date.

I had a quick play with the dish again and used the satellite finder and managed to get a full signal on the satellite finder and locked on still getting a full signal but when I go to the sky box it still says it is searching channel listings.

Progress has been made and I feel I am almost there.

Can you offer any further advice.

Thanks
Old Jul 19th 2012, 2:13 pm
Pull my finger

Keep trying! Remember to reset the LNB as well. If you have an Android phone or iPhone, download the Satfinder app to help you point the dish in the right direction to make sure you are locking on the correct satellite.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by duffer
.. If you have an Android phone or iPhone, download the Satfinder app to help you point the dish in the right direction to make sure you are locking on the correct satellite.
Blimey - they'll think of anything these days ..
Old Jul 21st 2012, 8:50 am
Just Joined

I have managed to get it sorted!!! The elevation with the new dish is 42 degrees whereas the correct elevation should only be 38 degrees! The satellite finder has been fantastic in finding the signal.

Thanks for all the help.
Old Jul 21st 2012, 10:27 am
Pull my finger

Well done, it's such a simple app but so useful in these type of situations! Anyway, the first thing I had asked was if the dish was correctly aligned
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

Now I have got a signal I am looking to get a quad LNB. I am happy to spend money on a decent one so I can hopefully get a stronger signal. Can anyone recommend a good one.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 7:08 am
Pull my finger

I was recommended the Invacom Quad QDH-031 and it's been fantastic. I give it two thumbs up

When I replaced my previous LNB with the Invacom I was really impressed by the increase in both quality and strength. It might've been because the previous LNB was old but even still, the Invacom's been faultless ever since.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

Duffer - does the shape of the dish make any difference. Until I changed the dish my old dish was oval whereas my new dish is round. Will an LNB work the same with both type of dishes?
Old Jul 24th 2012, 5:04 pm
Pull my finger

Yeah they would work but you may find that it's not as efficient due to some signal loss. The Invacom works great with oval or offset dishes. There is a version for round or prime dishes but I don't remember the model number but it's very similar. However, if you have a prime dish then the LNB must be dead centre of the dish, so there should be 3 or 4 arms that make a point which is the centre, if not, you will have an arm at the bottom of the dish, in which case you have an offset dish. With the prime dishes, the LNB must be suitable for the arm. Do you know the name and model of the dish?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.