Inglorious Empire

Old Sep 30th 2020, 10:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Inglorious Empire

Originally Posted by scot47
According to my friend Gerry Hassan, the Empire may be dead, but it lives on in the delusional minds of many - https://www.scottishreview.net/GerryHassan539a.html
I am not sure about the "many"----even young people in India have little idea about British occupation! History has not been taught that much in ordinary schools, just as in UK.
(However many 90+year old still living --- and they know!)
Old Sep 30th 2020, 11:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
They've gone after Amnesty International.
“Treating human rights organisations like criminal enterprises and dissenting individuals as criminals without any credible evidence is a deliberate attempt by the Enforcement Directorate and Government of India to stoke a climate of fear and dismantle the critical voices in India."
https://amnesty.org.in/news-update/a...nt-of-india-2/
Forgetting the issue of whether India should be occupying Kashmir or not , or allowing a referendum on self-determination, the Indian army is facing Pakistani supported terrorists - whether in Kashmir or Afghanistan the Pakistani intelligence service seems to have no qualms about supporting with money, arms and logistics outright terrorists. Anecdotally through my family or myself I have known a few Indian army officers who exhibited a level of professionalism rare in most third world countries so I a bit skeptical about Amnesty International in India and their observations, even more so after reading Bipat's link. It would be interesting how this is being reported in India.

So sad situation in Kashmir, Kashmir is stunningly beautiful and great people- I spent many weeks there long ago and was astounded by the beauty, and the people we met were as nice and helpful as one could wish for. .
Old Sep 30th 2020, 12:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
Forgetting the issue of whether India should be occupying Kashmir or not , or allowing a referendum on self-determination, the Indian army is facing Pakistani supported terrorists - whether in Kashmir or Afghanistan the Pakistani intelligence service seems to have no qualms about supporting with money, arms and logistics outright terrorists. Anecdotally through my family or myself I have known a few Indian army officers who exhibited a level of professionalism rare in most third world countries so I a bit skeptical about Amnesty International in India and their observations, even more so after reading Bipat's link. It would be interesting how this is being reported in India.

So sad situation in Kashmir, Kashmir is stunningly beautiful and great people- I spent many weeks there long ago and was astounded by the beauty, and the people we met were as nice and helpful as one could wish for. .
For once Morpeth I agree with you.
Kashmir is the most beautiful place on earth. (OH has never visited ----although his ancestors were 'chucked out' by invaders from the north, (later the Pandits also). He is jealous that I have been several times with the children.
There have been many elections and those wishing independence--more autonomy-join with Pakistan--- are about a third of the population--which is a large number to demonstrate etc.
India could have done much more earlier with better road connections etc. Went by bus from Jammu ourselves many years ago, (We came back by taxi!)

So many come south in the winter months to sell their goods in Indian cities---have had so many conversations (and addresses!) ( 4 rented shops even in our small town---many, many in Goa.) All they want is peace and the ability to just earn a living.
Old Sep 30th 2020, 12:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat
For once Morpeth I agree with you.
Kashmir is the most beautiful place on earth. (OH has never visited ----although his ancestors were 'chucked out' by invaders from the north, (later the Pandits also). He is jealous that I have been several times with the children.
There have been many elections and those wishing independence--more autonomy-join with Pakistan--- are about a third of the population--which is a large number to demonstrate etc.
India could have done much more earlier with better road connections etc. Went by bus from Jammu ourselves many years ago, (We came back by taxi!)

So many come south in the winter months to sell their goods in Indian cities---have had so many conversations (and addresses!) ( 4 rented shops even in our small town---many, many in Goa.) All they want is peace and the ability to just earn a living.
I lived in Switzerland for five years, pretty but nothing compared to Kashmir. An Indian army doctor who was my father's friend and doctor came with his son, and we just spent weeks fishing and exploring the area. Villagers we got to know us, and one of the mother would tell us off if we is behaved- and once threw a bucket of water at us when as two boys we were walking home along with her son but hadn't cleaned up.saying we were disrespecting our fathers. As it was cold, we cerainly learned our lesson. After a few weeks in the mountains we then spent a week on a houseboat in Srinagar.
Old Sep 30th 2020, 1:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Partition was a disaster. What else can we say ?