Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Contributory Parent Visa - Part 5 - Visa/Immigration queries only please!!

Contributory Parent Visa - Part 5 - Visa/Immigration queries only please!!

Old Mar 17th 2011, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

MikenSueNW3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Contributory Parent Visa - Part 5 - Visa/Immigration queries only please!!

Originally Posted by fiz
How kind of you! I'm hoping to rent for 12 months in an area on the Northern Beaches: Avalon/Newport possibly or Freshwater if I can't find somewhere in my first choices. I'm not too sure how far the Central coast is..I know you can get the ferry from Palm Beach but that's the extent of my knowledge!

Fiz
G'Day

The Central Coast is northwards of Gosford etc, up through Port Macquarie and on. It's a surprisingly long way by road (though perhaps not really, by Aussie standards!) from the North Shore and Northern Beaches suburbs of Sydney which you are talking about (the Northern Beaches, in particular, when you speak of Freshwater, Avalon, Newport and so on). Ie, north of the whole Hawkesbury River complex.

Prices vary quite a lot – I think it becomes a good deal cheaper north of the Hawkesbury. Avalon, like its neighbour Palm Beach, is pretty pricey. Freshwater and Dee Why are a bit cheaper, I think. Do have a good browse on the Sydney Morning Herald website's Domain section. And do a bit of zooming around Google Maps and Google Earth as well!

Mike
Old Mar 17th 2011, 7:19 pm
fiz
Forum Regular

fiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud of
Default Re: Contributory Parent Visa - Part 5 - Visa/Immigration queries only please!!

Originally Posted by MikenSueNW3
G'Day

The Central Coast is northwards of Gosford etc, up through Port Macquarie and on. It's a surprisingly long way by road (though perhaps not really, by Aussie standards!) from the North Shore and Northern Beaches suburbs of Sydney which you are talking about (the Northern Beaches, in particular, when you speak of Freshwater, Avalon, Newport and so on). Ie, north of the whole Hawkesbury River complex.

Prices vary quite a lot – I think it becomes a good deal cheaper north of the Hawkesbury. Avalon, like its neighbour Palm Beach, is pretty pricey. Freshwater and Dee Why are a bit cheaper, I think. Do have a good browse on the Sydney Morning Herald website's Domain section. And do a bit of zooming around Google Maps and Google Earth as well!

Mike
Thank you-that's really helpful!
Old Mar 18th 2011, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

jtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jtct
I was expecting ours around September/October but could be any time from around June at this rate. (Our application was received in early May 2010) .... and the $ has picked up a little, good news, as we were basing our calculations on 1.50 to the £1 after last year's plunge
Sorry if I caused a panic. I thought I'd corrected the typo .... but not quickly enough. For approved, read received or acknowledged!
Old Mar 18th 2011, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

SteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry if I caused a panic. I thought I'd corrected the typo .... but not quickly enough. For approved, read received or acknowledged!
Thanks! A lot of difference between acknowledged and approved - about a year and a bit as things are at the moment!
Old Mar 19th 2011, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

jtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by SteveDW
Thanks! A lot of difference between acknowledged and approved - about a year and a bit as things are at the moment!
Could be worse - it was nearer 18 months a while back when we applied
Old Mar 20th 2011, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

JohnDeeHart is just really niceJohnDeeHart is just really niceJohnDeeHart is just really niceJohnDeeHart is just really niceJohnDeeHart is just really niceJohnDeeHart is just really niceJohnDeeHart is just really niceJohnDeeHart is just really nice

Originally Posted by Julian927
You are correct. There is no "rule" as such but we are trying to prove our Australian domicile as quickly as possible and have been reliably informed that keeping more than one bank a/c each in the UK ( amongst several other things) would jeopardise that as far as HMRC is concerned.
We have other funds in the UK earning 2.75% but since it is not an instant access a/c we are keeping the equivalent of 10% of it in an instant access a/c in the hope that we can take advantage of any spike in the exchange rate and do a forward order with UKForex.

Ian & Julie
The "experts think that the exchange rate will hover around 1.60 to 1.65 for the rest of 2011.
Therefore, my reasoning is transfer money to Oz right now at around 1.61 to 1.62 and get interest at 6.1%. Bird in the hand and all that...
Even if the rate rise to 1.65 by December you'll be better off.
John
Old Mar 20th 2011, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Les Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JohnDeeHart
The "experts think that the exchange rate will hover around 1.60 to 1.65 for the rest of 2011.
Therefore, my reasoning is transfer money to Oz right now at around 1.61 to 1.62 and get interest at 6.1%. Bird in the hand and all that...
John
It would always be worth having 50% of your visa costs out in Oz that you have transferred at a rate and time of your choice so that if you have to make payments at a time that the rate is very low (like our timing last month)it is not too painful.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JohnDeeHart
John
Makes sense.

Haven't trawled through other threads yet but - is it easy to set up an account in Oz while you are still waiting for your Visa in the UK? I'd like to have some there ready to make payment for bond and visa costs
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

JohnDeeHart is just really niceJohnDeeHart is just really niceJohnDeeHart is just really niceJohnDeeHart is just really niceJohnDeeHart is just really niceJohnDeeHart is just really niceJohnDeeHart is just really niceJohnDeeHart is just really nice

Makes sense.

Haven't trawled through other threads yet but - is it easy to set up an account in Oz while you are still waiting for your Visa in the UK? I'd like to have some there ready to make payment for bond and visa costs
Dead easy, jc.
See messages from 210 onwards.. around 26 Jan.
John
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

vivchis69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Just to keep you all posted, Mum got her request for 2nd Vac today, its all happening so quickly. Time seems to go by so slowly then it happens and the 28 days you have to get everything together whizz by. I have asked for the tracker to be updated as its encouraging for those still waiting.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 11:00 pm
Just Joined

rigsy is just really nicerigsy is just really nicerigsy is just really nicerigsy is just really nicerigsy is just really nicerigsy is just really nicerigsy is just really nicerigsy is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: Contributory Parent Visa - Part 5 - Visa/Immigration queries only please!!

Hi Im Jan and new to the site, I am presently in Oz for 12months and am now looking at contributory parent visa........ Having read pages on this site and others I am still somewhat confused mmmmm easy these days trying to get my head round all that,s involved in migrating.
Please could someone help.
* Can I apply for temp or perm contributory parent visa for Australia in New Zealand rather then go home to Uk.As I can renew my visa for a further 6months by leaving the country in July.
*Apart from not having to pay all monies upfront are there any other advantages to applying for one or the other.
*I have no current utilities bills etc to confirm my address in Uk as I am renting my house for the 12months I'm away. Would the invoices from the management company be ok
* Is there a check list to help with all the info I have to gather.
*How do I confirm the balance of family test.
As you can see I need a bit of guidance......... HELP ha thank you in anticipationx Jan
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 11:36 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Makes sense.

I believe that the problem may well be the ability to transact on the Aus account before you arrive.

This said, Westpac in London are probably worth contacting. Ditto the NAB (also in London).

Feel able to send me a PM or email if you'd like contact names and numbers/email addresses.

Best regards.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 1:08 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Not heard of any account that can be used for outgoings when set up from overseas. Normally you can put money in, but you can't take it out until you are resident.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 3:19 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

As I say, explore this with Westpac and the NAB through their London Migrant Banking people.

I have a recollection that Westpac allows withdrawals to be made.

Best regards.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 7:33 am
fiz
Forum Regular

fiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Not heard of any account that can be used for outgoings when set up from overseas. Normally you can put money in, but you can't take it out until you are resident.
I have an account with CBA, both current and savings, which I opened when on holiday a year or so back. They know I haven't moved over yet and I pay Oz tax at 10% on the savings element. I have been able to transfer money out both to my kids and to pay for my visa with no problems at all. I also have a debit card on the account.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.