Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Contributory Parent Visa - Part 5 - Visa/Immigration queries only please!!

Contributory Parent Visa - Part 5 - Visa/Immigration queries only please!!

Old Mar 16th 2011, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

alexstein is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Contributory Parent Visa - Part 5 - Visa/Immigration queries only please!!

Just asking on behalf of my folks back in the UK.

I am currently in Australia on a WHV (Seeking 457 sponsorship). My sister was granted her PR today through ENS having been in australia for 3.5-4 years. We are their only 2 children thus the next step would be for my sister to sponsor them through the CPV to come out to australia to migrate perminantly which is their long term goal.

The Immigration dept says that the sponsor has to be "settled". Is anyone able to clarify what time period is defined by this. Does my sister need to wait 3 months? 6 months?

Any insight would be appreciated here as my our folks are coming out here for a 3 week holiday in 4 weeks time and they are looking to get some groundwork done in regard to seeing a financial planner / looking at area's to relocate to in the Melbourne SE suburbs.

Last edited by alexstein; Mar 16th 2011 at 3:49 am.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 7:14 am
fiz
Forum Regular

fiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud of
Default Re: Contributory Parent Visa - Part 5 - Visa/Immigration queries only please!!

Originally Posted by Julian927
Congratulations to everyone.
I think a great number of CPV applicants have pulled out or decided against emigrating, reducing the numbers on the list which is why they are going through thick and fast.
It would be interesting to hear from people who have pulled out, or are waiting for a better exchange rate. We very nearly pulled out ourselves.
Julie and Ian
Interesting. And do you personally have any regrets about making the move or is it too early to say?
Old Mar 16th 2011, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

SteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond repute

When you say that visas are going through 'thick and fast', does anyone have an idea how long it takes to get a case officer these days? Thanks.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all

Originally Posted by alexstein

I am currently in Australia on a WHV (Seeking 457 sponsorship). My sister was granted her PR today through ENS having been in australia for 3.5-4 years. We are their only 2 children thus the next step would be for my sister to sponsor them through the CPV to come out to australia to migrate perminantly which is their long term goal.

The Immigration dept says that the sponsor has to be "settled". Is anyone able to clarify what time period is defined by this. Does my sister need to wait 3 months? 6 months?

Hi

It's more a state than a period of time. They normally say a period of about 2 years. However, having said that there is someonone on here whose daughter had only been in Oz 11 months. They take into consideration steady job, property, car, children in school etc. Also they can take into consideration temporary residence. It might just be an an idea to have a brief chat with an agent to see if your sister would qualify and can prove she is settled.

Any insight would be appreciated here as my our folks are coming out here for a 3 week holiday in 4 weeks time and they are looking to get some groundwork done in regard to seeing a financial planner / looking at area's to relocate to in the Melbourne SE suburbs.
zz
Old Mar 16th 2011, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all

Originally Posted by SteveDW
When you say that visas are going through 'thick and fast', does anyone have an idea how long it takes to get a case officer these days? Thanks.
Hi
In the past the waiting time for a case officer was around 15-16 months. This has currently shortened to around 12 months, so this is 'fast' for those of us who are waiting.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

SteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveandLinda
Hi
In the past the waiting time for a case officer was around 15-16 months. This has currently shortened to around 12 months, so this is 'fast' for those of us who are waiting.
Thanks, that's a big difference.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Les Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of light

Our son and d-i-l had been in Oz for 16 months when we applied, we collected lots of evidence to show they were settled, rental agreements, they also had just bought a house, work statements, friends statements showing they had joined in to the 'Australian' culture, invoices for cars, furniture, vet bills for their dog etc.

We did not use an agent but yesterday our visa was granted with no set backs (only very poor exchange rate).
Old Mar 16th 2011, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Les Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of light

zz
Good answer.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 9:21 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fiz
Not sure they have ever used their quota......they kept threatening to queue people once they'd fulfilled their quota but don't think it ever happened
It's rare. The quota tends to be for their benefit, it has little bearing on the applicant as if the applicant is getting closer to the end of quota year and their 'quota' is getting filled, the applicant would simply move into the next year's quota anyway, without knowing about it. Good news if things are speeding up though, hope it continues
Old Mar 16th 2011, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

durhamlad is on a distinguished road

It looks like you have to pay the AOS bond before a decision is made on whether you are receiving your Visa or not. What happens if you pay it then you are turned down or you change your mind and withdraw your application.

David
Old Mar 16th 2011, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Les Avalook
Good answer.
Yes, sorry about that everyone. Don't know how that happened?? I was trying to write the answer through the link with my email and it kept saying my answer was too short! Got a bit frustrated
Old Mar 16th 2011, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Default Rate alert

Just used UKForex to do a small transfer of $20,000 @ $1.61 which is the first time I have got above $1.60 this year, every little helps.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

jtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to behold

Hi
Not long ago I thought the time would never come - now we could have a CO well before August if they have speeded up. Less than 4 months to finish the decluttering!!! - it will fly by now ....eeeek

Congratulations to those who have had their Visas granted in the last month.

Last edited by jtct; Mar 16th 2011 at 6:01 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

Katie1955 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I applied for my visa when my daughter had only been in Oz for 11 months - enclosed lots of supporting documentation to prove that she was settled - proof of employment, purchase of a car, became a Brownie pack leader, sold UK home & had shipped both her dogs out etc etc. The only thing I'm not sure about if the '2 year settled period' has to be from when you have PR. I'm sure someone else will know.

good luck
Katie

Hope that helps
Old Mar 16th 2011, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

Katie1955 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jtct
Not long ago I thought the time would never come - now we could have a CO well before August if they have speeded up. Less than 4 months to finish the decluttering!!! - it will fly by now ....eeeek

Congratulations to those who have had their Visas granted in the last month.
could be anyday now by the look of the timescales !!. It's speeded up since I had my CO. I thought mine was quick at 14 months - whats going on

good luck with the clear out

Katie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.