Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Contributory Parent Visa - Part 5 - Visa/Immigration queries only please!!

Contributory Parent Visa - Part 5 - Visa/Immigration queries only please!!

Old Apr 25th 2011, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

Janey195406 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Contributory Parent Visa - Part 5 - Visa/Immigration queries only please!!

Hopefully someone can help -

We lived and worked in Tasmania from 1974 to 1977 (son who is sponsoring us was born there) - would we still have a tax number and medicare number? Would we need to put these on our application form? (Nearly completed form for CPV 173)

Thanks - Janey
Old Apr 25th 2011, 11:20 pm
Just Joined

mavinaus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Contributory Parent Visa - Part 5 - Visa/Immigration queries only please!!

Hi Janey
Our son was born here and had a medicare card (1985), but they couldn't retrieve this and gave him a new one. You can put it all down but the 1970's would not have had computerised records and I doubt anything from there would be available and they'd just issue again. What do others think?
PS Good lluck with that long form, it is not too daunting once you get going.
Marian
Old Apr 26th 2011, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

MikenSueNW3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Janey195406

We lived and worked in Tasmania from 1974 to 1977 (son who is sponsoring us was born there) - would we still have a tax number and medicare number? Would we need to put these on our application form? (Nearly completed form for CPV 173)

Thanks - Janey
When our daughter (who now lives permanently in Sydney) went to Medicare to register, they asked her, did you live at XX Such-and-such a road in 1984-5? Yes -- we all did, when she was 10, so they have a long memory!

Mike
Old Apr 26th 2011, 10:03 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Janey195406

Thanks - Janey
Your tax file number never changes, so if you had one before then it'll still be the same
Old Apr 26th 2011, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

jmm100uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jtct
Did I say next couple of months - we got our Case Officer TODAY!!!!!!!
1st April but no hoax.
Congratulations! Where abouts in SA are you planning to be?
Old Apr 26th 2011, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

jmm100uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tinaj
Funny I did not realise this as this is exactly what my friend's parents did, they came over on a visitors visa and when they were here they applied for the CP visa and never left.They were given bridging visas for the whole time the process took (18mths)

How would immigration or cutoms possibly know your intentions anyway? My mother has been out every year for the past 7 times so it will be hardly unsual for this visit. I will look into it furthe rbut it seems this is a better option for us, the only hurdle being the fact that she will have to leave to return to the Uk to sort out her affairs there before returning.

Hi I'm probably way behind the times here - but did your friend's parents apply for a CPV visa or Contributory Aged Parents Visa? If the latter then they are allowed to apply 'onshore' i.e. within Aus. - and sit out the waiting time. The CPV has to be applied for offshore' - outside Aus.and wait outside Aus. but can visit as often as they like in between on authorised Visitor visas varying in time from 3 months to 12 months, as do many CPV applicants.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

Janey195406 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to all who replied.

I've got phone calls to make tomorrow and try to find out the numbers required.. Then its just a case of getting his lordships (OH) photo's done and I hope to get it all DHL'd on Thursday.... Then I can knock on the door of the waiting room!!

I considered reading ALL the posts in this thread (and others) as doing my homework!! Reading all the various bits of really useful and helpful info made me confident enough to fill in the form without using an agent!! Even the debate re VEGEMITE v. marmite made an amusing interlude!!!

Janey
Old Apr 27th 2011, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

ABB1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all

I'm on PR visa which got granted in 2009 May and we came to OZ in 2009 November, both my self and my spouse doing well paid full time jobs

I'm intending to bring my parents under contributory paent visa category and glad if someone can help me with the following queries

1)Can they lodge the CPV application now or should I wait till 2011 Nov to complete my 2 years residency? Is 2 yr calculated from the date we landed to OZ or from the time the visa was granted?

2)Also we are currently on rent and do not have our own house yet. Will that be a disadvantage?

3)Once the apilication is lodged and once the 2nd installement is requested should we pay it immedietly or is there any cooling off period to pay it?

4)I'm thinking whether to apply for the temp contributory or for the permenant one? What disadvantages will be there if they aply for the temp one first?
Old Apr 27th 2011, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all
Default Re: Contributory parent visa-sponser requirements

Originally Posted by ABB1
Hi all

I'm on PR visa which got granted in 2009 May and we came to OZ in 2009 November, both my self and my spouse doing well paid full time jobs

I'm intending to bring my parents under contributory paent visa category and glad if someone can help me with the following queries

1)Can they lodge the CPV application now or should I wait till 2011 Nov to complete my 2 years residency? Is 2 yr calculated from the date we landed to OZ or from the time the visa was granted?

2)Also we are currently on rent and do not have our own house yet. Will that be a disadvantage?

3)Once the apilication is lodged and once the 2nd installement is requested should we pay it immedietly or is there any cooling off period to pay it?

4)I'm thinking whether to apply for the temp contributory or for the permenant one? What disadvantages will be there if they aply for the temp one first?
Hi Abbi 1

I will try and answer your questions as follows:

1)
The 2 year period is the period which you normally have to be in Australia befor e you can sponsor a parent. However, this is more a question of whether you are deemed to e ‘settled’ not a period of time. They take into consideration things like permanent jobs, property, car, children in school etc. I do know of someone who was successfully sponsored by their daughter after 11 months. However, she was able to prove that she was heavily involved in the local community.

2)
The fact that you are renting will not in itself be a disadvantage, but might affect how they regard your ‘settled’ status.

3)
The waiting time for a case officer has recently been reduced to about 12 months. Once you get the request for the second VAC you normally ae asked to pay this within 28 days. I do know people who have been given another grace period of one month, if you can give a good explanation, but I don’t think you would get much longer than that.

4)
We ourselves are going the 173 route first. I am not aware of any disadvantages, other than the fact that any property you buy has to be a newly built one unless you are a permanent resident. Also the sponsors situation might change, eg you might lose your job etc.

Hope this helps.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

Perthflyer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Applied for my Mum's Contributory Parent Visa in Jan whilst she was onshore on a tourist visa

She has since returned home. She has surprisingly potentially managed to sell her house much earlier than expected.

There is nothing much left for her to stay in the UK for: is she able to come into Aus and wait until she gets a case officer etc. Is the best way to do this on a tourist visa with her leaving the country every 3 months or is there a better way?
Old Apr 27th 2011, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

DM1432 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Perthflyer
Hi

Applied for my Mum's Contributory Parent Visa in Jan whilst she was onshore on a tourist visa

She has since returned home. She has surprisingly potentially managed to sell her house much earlier than expected.

There is nothing much left for her to stay in the UK for: is she able to come into Aus and wait until she gets a case officer etc. Is the best way to do this on a tourist visa with her leaving the country every 3 months or is there a better way?
Get mum to come on a 12 month tourist visa while she is waiting for her application to be processed, this will allow her to remain in Australia without having to leave every 3month. When she applys for this just make sure she makes reference to her ongoing parent visa appplication.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

MikenSueNW3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DaveandLinda

We ourselves are going the 173 route first. I am not aware of any disadvantages, other than the fact that any property you buy has to be a newly built one unless you are a permanent resident.
G'Day

Not quite true. The relevant paragraphs on the Foreign Investment Review Board's website (see http://www.firb.gov.au/content/real_.../developed.asp) says:–
Foreign persons are prohibited from acquiring established dwellings for investment purposes (that is, they cannot be purchased to be used as a rental or holiday property), irrespective of whether they are temporary residents in Australia or not.

However, temporary residents can apply to purchase one established dwelling to use as their residence in Australia. Approval is usually provided subject to a condition that the temporary resident sells the dwelling when it ceases to be their residence.
("Established dwelling" = secondhand or pre-owned.)

Mike
Old Apr 27th 2011, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all

Thanks for clearing that up. So, as far as I can see there are no disadvantages to being on the 173, other than that the sponsors situation might change, or our health situation - and of course that it runs out in 2 years!
Old Apr 27th 2011, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

jtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jmm100uk
Congratulations! Where abouts in SA are you planning to be?
Adelaide - southern hills suburbs - Aberfoyle Park/Craigburn/Coromandal or maybe further (South Happy Valley - Noorlunga) if the £ value drops too much.

I know this is 'chat' but it may help others to know that the timescales quoted for CPV143 was 20 - 24 months when we applied. We therefore expected to get our CO around Sept/Oct but we got one on 1st April!

They seem to be speeding up the process - perhaps less people are applying due to the poor exchange rate.

Last edited by jtct; Apr 27th 2011 at 4:27 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

ABB1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanx alot, this one really helps alot

Originally Posted by DaveandLinda
Hi Abbi 1

I will try and answer your questions as follows:

1)
The 2 year period is the period which you normally have to be in Australia befor e you can sponsor a parent. However, this is more a question of whether you are deemed to e ‘settled’ not a period of time. They take into consideration things like permanent jobs, property, car, children in school etc. I do know of someone who was successfully sponsored by their daughter after 11 months. However, she was able to prove that she was heavily involved in the local community.

2)
The fact that you are renting will not in itself be a disadvantage, but might affect how they regard your ‘settled’ status.

3)
The waiting time for a case officer has recently been reduced to about 12 months. Once you get the request for the second VAC you normally ae asked to pay this within 28 days. I do know people who have been given another grace period of one month, if you can give a good explanation, but I don’t think you would get much longer than that.

4)
We ourselves are going the 173 route first. I am not aware of any disadvantages, other than the fact that any property you buy has to be a newly built one unless you are a permanent resident. Also the sponsors situation might change, eg you might lose your job etc.

Hope this helps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.