business visa 163 anyone got a visa yet?

Old Oct 29th 2007, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Rochdale, then Toronto, then Preston now Tampa, Florida.
wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all
Default Re: business visa 163 anyone got a visa yet?

Originally Posted by foxychic
To the question of validation, all of your family who hold the visa must enter the country by this date, this can be for 2 hours or 2 weeks, your 4 years starts ticking from then, so you have to get back here within that time and start trading so you will have 2 years figures to submit. We are cutting it real fine and will have to meet the figures in two years as we have no months 'spare'.

As you are unsponsored, as I understand it your requirements will be higher too so you could probably do without cutting it too fine.

Good luck

We are trying (and failing) to get used to the laid back was of doing business here "no, 2 weeks time is not good enough, we want it now, we need to get open and start trading "

more update soon, we are due to open saturday

foxy
How did the opening go? and what is the shop selling?
Old Oct 29th 2007, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

platapus is an unknown quantity at this point

We had a letter from our agent saying we had to send a form to our CO & then we get our visa!!

It is a subclass 163!!!!

So excited,feel fed up because I told my MUm & she wasn't pleased,told my friends..they were not pleased...just want someone to feel happy for us!And not make us feel guilty!!

Good luck everyone else xx
Old Oct 29th 2007, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice

Hi only just got your pm's and yes we're still around although Oz is on hold at them moment due to family problems!

It's still something we want to do but the time isn't right just at the moment. I still visit this site from time to time and catch up all the latest it's interesting to see where everyone is. If we'd pursued it when we first started to look into it we'd be there living the dream by now!

Nevermind, time must be right otherwise it won't work I suppose.

Bye for now!
Old Oct 29th 2007, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

foxychic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wildmark
How did the opening go? and what is the shop selling?
Hi Mark, the opening went ok, we had a few customers through the door and a few sales, not bad on no marketing, we didn't feel we could plan anything as not sure if we would get open this weekend. As I am lazy, I posted elsewhere this evening and I have cut and pasted from another forum I go on.

Sounds very whingy, I must apologise in advance, this are taking some adjusting to for us and whilst we don't regret the move at all, it may only be a temporary one, we will have to see how we go.

So, we have been here nearly 3 months, we have done quite a lot in this time, most of it in the first few weeks. We have bought and moved into our own house - the process was quite simple and fast, but you need to remember the additional fees of stamp duty, land registry fee (a sliding scale in SA) and your conveyancer fees.

We used John Masons, and they were excellent both ends, with very little damage.

We have also secured a shop unit in Old Reynella, and on Saturday opened our doors to start trading.

There are lots of posts about settling and they are all really informative and a good read, we probably feel the same as most people and have done what most people do in the time, so I will concentrate on how we have found setting up a business, I realise most people come on a skills visa, but this may be useful for those who come on a business visa or start a business here.

It was fairly easy to register the business name, register for GST etc, and very similar to the UK, no shocks there.

We are renting our premises initially and this was fairly easy to sort out, although there is not so much out there and some premises have wierd conditions attached. I would say that rent is more expensive here (we were spoilt with our rent in the UK, but even comparing with places like Harrogate) However, it does seem to be fairly stable everywhere, with a $ per SQM being pretty much the same wherever - obviously with some notable exceptions like Main South Road prominent positions, Glenelg, Norwood and the City.

If you are thinking to start a business, I guess it depends on your product, but ours is fairly territorial Brand wise, and as people have previously mentioned, Adelaide is a very small town and some reps have refused to even come and see us and how big we are just because they deal with someone else. It has been very frustrating as it has transferred through to accessories and not just bicycle brands and all seems a little small minded, but it is the way of SA and we have to get used to it and work with what we can, we just weren't able to fulfil our 'wish list' in the way we though we would be able to.

Something else we are having to adjust to is the level of service from suppliers here, it is not so good in the majority of cases, with things just never getting done when they are promised, and nobody caring. Couple this with the fact that a lot of our suppliers are in Sydney and so things take 3-4 days to get here and you have fairly substantial delays. This again is something that can be worked with and the distances are vast so it is bound to take longer, but it does take some adjusting to when you are used to next day delivery. As I say, we are learning and having to allow weeks for some things to arrive, but when you are not expecting it to be so inefficient it is a shock.

All of that reads like a bit of a whinge, but it is to hopefully highlight some of the difficulties you might encounter setting up. The plus points are the friendly people. Here in Old Reynella, there is a couple of supermarkets and a small parade of shops under the road level kind of thing, there is a craft shop, chemist, butchers, bakers, cafe, hairdresser, post office, and the community feel is excellent, all the shopkeepers and nice and friendly and it feels like a really nice place to be. It is nice to shop day to day and have fresh stuff all the time, and to know the shop owners. The few customers we have had since Saturday seem excited to see a new bike shop down south here and all wish us luck - it seems so nice and freindly where people wouldn't necessarily be like that in the UK.

Are we settled? a definate NO, not yet, we like Adelaide and the kids are loving it, the youngest is struggling with starting school and I totally underestimated how empty you can feel without your support network of friends and family close by, although I have met some really nice people through this site, without which, I would be feeling tons worse. We can see the potential and think we are probably just unsettled because we have done so much so quickly and have not really got into any routine at all.

Rachel
Old Oct 29th 2007, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all

Hi Mark, the opening went ok, we had a few customers through the door and a few sales, not bad on no marketing, we didn't feel we could plan anything as not sure if we would get open this weekend. As I am lazy, I posted elsewhere this evening and I have cut and pasted from another forum I go on.

Sounds very whingy, I must apologise in advance, this are taking some adjusting to for us and whilst we don't regret the move at all, it may only be a temporary one, we will have to see how we go.

So, we have been here nearly 3 months, we have done quite a lot in this time, most of it in the first few weeks. We have bought and moved into our own house - the process was quite simple and fast, but you need to remember the additional fees of stamp duty, land registry fee (a sliding scale in SA) and your conveyancer fees.

We used John Masons, and they were excellent both ends, with very little damage.

We have also secured a shop unit in Old Reynella, and on Saturday opened our doors to start trading.

There are lots of posts about settling and they are all really informative and a good read, we probably feel the same as most people and have done what most people do in the time, so I will concentrate on how we have found setting up a business, I realise most people come on a skills visa, but this may be useful for those who come on a business visa or start a business here.

It was fairly easy to register the business name, register for GST etc, and very similar to the UK, no shocks there.

We are renting our premises initially and this was fairly easy to sort out, although there is not so much out there and some premises have wierd conditions attached. I would say that rent is more expensive here (we were spoilt with our rent in the UK, but even comparing with places like Harrogate) However, it does seem to be fairly stable everywhere, with a $ per SQM being pretty much the same wherever - obviously with some notable exceptions like Main South Road prominent positions, Glenelg, Norwood and the City.

If you are thinking to start a business, I guess it depends on your product, but ours is fairly territorial Brand wise, and as people have previously mentioned, Adelaide is a very small town and some reps have refused to even come and see us and how big we are just because they deal with someone else. It has been very frustrating as it has transferred through to accessories and not just bicycle brands and all seems a little small minded, but it is the way of SA and we have to get used to it and work with what we can, we just weren't able to fulfil our 'wish list' in the way we though we would be able to.

Something else we are having to adjust to is the level of service from suppliers here, it is not so good in the majority of cases, with things just never getting done when they are promised, and nobody caring. Couple this with the fact that a lot of our suppliers are in Sydney and so things take 3-4 days to get here and you have fairly substantial delays. This again is something that can be worked with and the distances are vast so it is bound to take longer, but it does take some adjusting to when you are used to next day delivery. As I say, we are learning and having to allow weeks for some things to arrive, but when you are not expecting it to be so inefficient it is a shock.

All of that reads like a bit of a whinge, but it is to hopefully highlight some of the difficulties you might encounter setting up. The plus points are the friendly people. Here in Old Reynella, there is a couple of supermarkets and a small parade of shops under the road level kind of thing, there is a craft shop, chemist, butchers, bakers, cafe, hairdresser, post office, and the community feel is excellent, all the shopkeepers and nice and friendly and it feels like a really nice place to be. It is nice to shop day to day and have fresh stuff all the time, and to know the shop owners. The few customers we have had since Saturday seem excited to see a new bike shop down south here and all wish us luck - it seems so nice and freindly where people wouldn't necessarily be like that in the UK.

Are we settled? a definate NO, not yet, we like Adelaide and the kids are loving it, the youngest is struggling with starting school and I totally underestimated how empty you can feel without your support network of friends and family close by, although I have met some really nice people through this site, without which, I would be feeling tons worse. We can see the potential and think we are probably just unsettled because we have done so much so quickly and have not really got into any routine at all.

Rachel
Ah still in the same business, that good! just out of interest how did you get on selling the old bike shop in Yorkshire?

Mark
Old Oct 29th 2007, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stumpysean
Hi only just got your pm's and yes we're still around although Oz is on hold at them moment due to family problems!

It's still something we want to do but the time isn't right just at the moment. I still visit this site from time to time and catch up all the latest it's interesting to see where everyone is. If we'd pursued it when we first started to look into it we'd be there living the dream by now!

Nevermind, time must be right otherwise it won't work I suppose.

Bye for now!
Sorry to hear things worked out like that, do you have a timeframe?
Old Oct 29th 2007, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice

Sorry to hear things worked out like that, do you have a timeframe?

Well the boys are 9 and 7, hubby is 40 next year so we've got a bit of breathing space but I'd like to say we'll try again in 2 or 3 yrs maybe. Who knows, things change so quickly and you never know what's round the corner do you?

Yes, we did look at Florida and still love the place but found the visa slightly more difficult to achieve. That's why we went back to Oz. Have also thought about Europe but it's th elanguage barrier that puts my hubby off! It would be so much easier to move to France or Spain!

Anyway, I'll keep you infromed of our decisions..........thanks for your interest, it's nice to know we haven't been forgotten!
Old Oct 30th 2007, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

BM615 will become famous soon enoughBM615 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by platapus
We had a letter from our agent saying we had to send a form to our CO & then we get our visa!!

It is a subclass 163!!!!

So excited,feel fed up because I told my MUm & she wasn't pleased,told my friends..they were not pleased...just want someone to feel happy for us!And not make us feel guilty!!

Good luck everyone else xx

Hi Platapus,

we are all happy for you, trust me.

good luck

Bryan & Joyce
Old Oct 30th 2007, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

platapus is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you x
Old Oct 30th 2007, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

Ah still in the same business, that good! just out of interest how did you get on selling the old bike shop in Yorkshire?

Mark
We have a fair exciting time in the end, had lots of messers about, then got desparate, accepted a low offer, only for 2 weeks later someone walks into the shop decided they wanted it, paid full price, rushed it through and away we walked! cool. He was a 36 year old who was like a kid in a sweet shop who told him mum and dad he wanted it and that was it, they decided if he wanted it, he was getting it!! Oh, well, worked out for us.

Rachel
Old Oct 31st 2007, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

We have a fair exciting time in the end, had lots of messers about, then got desparate, accepted a low offer, only for 2 weeks later someone walks into the shop decided they wanted it, paid full price, rushed it through and away we walked! cool. He was a 36 year old who was like a kid in a sweet shop who told him mum and dad he wanted it and that was it, they decided if he wanted it, he was getting it!! Oh, well, worked out for us.

Rachel

Great news, I bet the guy that low balled you was pretty upset eh?
Old Nov 5th 2007, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

kegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nice

Hi - we arrived on the Sunshine Coast five weeks ago with our 160 visa. I've loitered for the most part silently, particularly on this post, whilst we were still in the UK. But hope now to repay all the good advice we've had over the last six months since we first decided to apply.

And like Rachel in Adelaide, we've found it a mixture of a great place to start a business - and very frustrating at the same time. Good things have been the ease with which the bureaucracy was dealt with, far better than I could have dared hope. Lots of human beings to deal with at places like Australia Post and ANZ - as opposed to the call centres and a myriad of phone options we'd have got back home ... Bad things - well nothing really bad yet to be honest - but the lack of urgency is something that while I knew about (and to be honest was one of the attractions of Australia in the first place), it's nevertheless hard to get used to when you're trying to do business.

A bit of advice please from all of you on 160/163 visas, to do with tax residency status. I just got our TFNs through from the ATO, and they have us down as non residents for tax purposes. Is that the same status as you all have? I knew that we could keep any non employment income from overseas out of our tax returns here, but thought in every other respect, we would be treated as tax resident. Now apparently we have to pay withholding tax on any interest we get here and have to declare our address abroad -which of course we don't have. Have the ATO got it wrong?

Thanks in advance for all your help. By the way, it's absolutely chucking it down here in Noosa - which is why I'm awake and online at 5 in the morning. Does anyone else agree that the rain is much noisier on Colourbond?
Old Nov 5th 2007, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

gilly43 has a brilliant futuregilly43 has a brilliant futuregilly43 has a brilliant futuregilly43 has a brilliant futuregilly43 has a brilliant futuregilly43 has a brilliant future

Hi there no advice but just wanted to say hello as thought that we were the only 160... We have only just started the process and I have done all my homework which has taken weeks and downloaded all the forms so need to start reading and filling in dreading it and putting it off.. We too want to live on the Sunshine Coast so might be comin to you for information and help if you do not mind but seem ok at moment.. Just trying to take it one day at a time rather than looking at the whole picture - too stressy...
Old Nov 5th 2007, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

Boogie65 is a jewel in the roughBoogie65 is a jewel in the roughBoogie65 is a jewel in the roughBoogie65 is a jewel in the roughBoogie65 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by kegsta
Hi - we arrived on the Sunshine Coast five weeks ago with our 160 visa. I've loitered for the most part silently, particularly on this post, whilst we were still in the UK. But hope now to repay all the good advice we've had over the last six months since we first decided to apply.

A bit of advice please from all of you on 160/163 visas, to do with tax residency status. I just got our TFNs through from the ATO, and they have us down as non residents for tax purposes. Is that the same status as you all have? I knew that we could keep any non employment income from overseas out of our tax returns here, but thought in every other respect, we would be treated as tax resident. Now apparently we have to pay withholding tax on any interest we get here and have to declare our address abroad -which of course we don't have. Have the ATO got it wrong?

Thanks in advance for all your help. By the way, it's absolutely chucking it down here in Noosa - which is why I'm awake and online at 5 in the morning. Does anyone else agree that the rain is much noisier on Colourbond?
Hi Kegsta

Welcome to the Sunshine Coast

The ATO sent us our TFNs headed non-tax resident, which I queried and they corrected their records over the phone. We didn't receive amended TFNs but they assured me they had changed it to resident for tax purposes so give them a call.

Somebody once said to me that when it rains on a colourbond roof it's like being in a caravan - we have a tiled roof but it still woke me up

Best wishes
Chrissy
Old Nov 5th 2007, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

I applied for our TFN online and we also got non-resident status, this meant the bank couldn't accept the number and as you say we would have to pay the withholding tax. I queried it and had to do this online test thing, then write to them stating I had done this and was to be classed as resident for tax purposes, they issued ammend TFN notices, but it took about 6 weeks! if your interest goes in during that time, ANZ will just refund the withholding tax to your account when they get the correct notification.

Hope that helps and best of luck. I agree lots of things are nice to do with people to deal with (excluding Telstra who seem unable to get anything right first time!) but the lack of urgency, I still can't adjust to especially as it is now costing us sales and it means I spend a large part of my day chasing suppliers in what to me is a totally needless way.

Had a good few days in recent trading so now quite as miserable this week!

rachel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.