business visa 163 anyone got a visa yet?

Old Aug 18th 2007, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really nice
Default Re: business visa 163 anyone got a visa yet?

Hi all

I have had a few discussions with several State Governments and most have not set any criteria with which to waive the turnover minimum.

Most see the $200,000 level as being reasonable proof that someone has the skills to survive and get ahead. They also point out you get a 4 year visa, so unless you're at the end period you are unlikely to get much sympathy.

I suspect the waiver will be for non-native English speaking people living in much smaller towns where it is a double and genuine struggle to reach that level of turnover, rather than being given to people of similar cultural/ethnic background to Australians, of better financial means living closer to bigger population centres.

I actually did discuss the turnover waiver with Qld and they stated they had no policy on it and therefore needed a very good and deserving case with which to develop a policy.

My client's scenario was a farmer who was living way inland and would likely turnover $100,000 only. Despite being primary industry/export, up country, and having substantial capital in the farm, Qld's answer was to persist with the business, take a longer time before applying and diversify the business activity to grow income to the desired level.
Old Aug 18th 2007, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

foxychic is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations Steveyp. Really pleased for you, plus it is proof the system works for the rest of us.

I have not been on in a while, alerts stopped working again, good to see the familiar faces still posting and to hear you are all doing well.

Well you old timers know how hard we have found it to get it all together and time was running out on our visa, we though should we be thinking about packing it all in, then a miracle occured and we got not one but two really serious (at solicitor stage) buyers for our business, we took the one who offered the most money obviously and let him know it was first to the finishing post, it worked and it only took 5 weeks to sort out so I am pleased to announce that, as a complete family we are now residing in
ADELAIDE - SOUTH AUSTRALIA
been here 4 days now, and just beginning to get over the shock, but feel totally disorganised. What the hell do we do now???!!!

catch you later guys

rachel & gang
Old Aug 18th 2007, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

Boogie65 is a jewel in the roughBoogie65 is a jewel in the roughBoogie65 is a jewel in the roughBoogie65 is a jewel in the roughBoogie65 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Jamie Smith
Hi all

I have had a few discussions with several State Governments and most have not set any criteria with which to waive the turnover minimum.

Most see the $200,000 level as being reasonable proof that someone has the skills to survive and get ahead. They also point out you get a 4 year visa, so unless you're at the end period you are unlikely to get much sympathy.

I suspect the waiver will be for non-native English speaking people living in much smaller towns where it is a double and genuine struggle to reach that level of turnover, rather than being given to people of similar cultural/ethnic background to Australians, of better financial means living closer to bigger population centres.

I actually did discuss the turnover waiver with Qld and they stated they had no policy on it and therefore needed a very good and deserving case with which to develop a policy.

My client's scenario was a farmer who was living way inland and would likely turnover $100,000 only. Despite being primary industry/export, up country, and having substantial capital in the farm, Qld's answer was to persist with the business, take a longer time before applying and diversify the business activity to grow income to the desired level.
Hi Jamie

Thanks for the reply - I didn't really expect that they would waive the turnover just because somebody asked, so I guess it's as I thought really. Especially as there was a couple last year sometime on the Gold Coast that had to leave despite employing at least 2 people, and they were apparently only $10,000 short of the $200,000. I'm sure there was more to the case that was publised in the press in Qld, but it does show you that we have to everything in our power to meet those goals. We will do our utmost to get our turnover to meet the criteria in our 2nd year so we can get the PR as soon as possible.

Thanks again
Chrissy
Old Aug 18th 2007, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

Boogie65 is a jewel in the roughBoogie65 is a jewel in the roughBoogie65 is a jewel in the roughBoogie65 is a jewel in the roughBoogie65 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by foxychic
Congratulations Steveyp. Really pleased for you, plus it is proof the system works for the rest of us.

I have not been on in a while, alerts stopped working again, good to see the familiar faces still posting and to hear you are all doing well.

Well you old timers know how hard we have found it to get it all together and time was running out on our visa, we though should we be thinking about packing it all in, then a miracle occured and we got not one but two really serious (at solicitor stage) buyers for our business, we took the one who offered the most money obviously and let him know it was first to the finishing post, it worked and it only took 5 weeks to sort out so I am pleased to announce that, as a complete family we are now residing in
been here 4 days now, and just beginning to get over the shock, but feel totally disorganised. What the hell do we do now???!!!

catch you later guys

rachel & gang
Hi Rachel

Congrats on the move - you stuck it out and made it! You'll soon find your feet I'm sure.

Best wishes

Chrissy
Old Aug 19th 2007, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

BM615 will become famous soon enoughBM615 will become famous soon enough

catch you later guys

rachel & gang
Congratulations Foxy - that was a real marathon disposal - you can now relax for a little while - well deserved.
Old Aug 19th 2007, 11:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

steveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Boogie65
Hi Steve

Thanks for the advice - it's very sound I'm sure. Out of interest, hasn't the criteria changed slightly in that they may possibly waive the turnover criteria if "exceptional circumstances" (see below):

Annual turnover
Your main business (or two main businesses together), had a turnover of at least $200,000 in the 12 months immediately before you apply.
See: Definitions

"This may not apply if you meet all of the following conditions:

you met at least two of the three requirements above (Net Business Assets, Net personal and business assets, Provided employment)
the appropriate State/Territory authority has determined there are exceptional circumstances
both your business and residence is located in a designated regional or low growth area" (which ours is at the moment!)

What they would consider "exceptional circumstances" is the mystery, and how far away from the turnover would they allow you to be is the question too! Once we know what we've done for this first year and can see where we stand, I might ask the people in Brisbane. But for now, we'll continue to work our butts off everyday to make sure we meet as many criteria as we possibly can!

Thanks again

Chrissy
Hi,
I would have thought that they would not apply the waiver if you are applying early (e.g. after 2 years) but rather see where you were at the end of the Visa term. There is a 2 year visa extention available also. An don't forget you can combine up to 2 business to acheive the turnover, buying a cheap second business with a good turnover may be the way to go?
Cheers
Steve
Old Aug 19th 2007, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

steveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant future

catch you later guys

rachel & gang
Fabulous! Well done, it must be such a relief... hang in there Summer is just around the corner.
Steve
Old Aug 20th 2007, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

BM615 will become famous soon enoughBM615 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Boogie65
Hi Jamie

Thanks for the reply - I didn't really expect that they would waive the turnover just because somebody asked, so I guess it's as I thought really. Especially as there was a couple last year sometime on the Gold Coast that had to leave despite employing at least 2 people, and they were apparently only $10,000 short of the $200,000. I'm sure there was more to the case that was publised in the press in Qld, but it does show you that we have to everything in our power to meet those goals. We will do our utmost to get our turnover to meet the criteria in our 2nd year so we can get the PR as soon as possible.

Thanks again
Chrissy

Chrissy

I have sent you a pm
Old Aug 24th 2007, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

foxychic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BM615
Congratulations Foxy - that was a real marathon disposal - you can now relax for a little while - well deserved.
thanks, your joking though, thats what I thought but whilst house hunting Nathan has spotted the perfect unit being built for a shop so he is all set to contact them again Monday, I'm trying to reign him in as its a bit scary but secretly I agree with him - it is a perfect position!

Bit worrying about the only $10k short and having to leave! but didn't realise you can have a 2 year extension that may be useful for us as we are really up against it time wise
Old Aug 24th 2007, 11:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

thanks, your joking though, thats what I thought but whilst house hunting Nathan has spotted the perfect unit being built for a shop so he is all set to contact them again Monday, I'm trying to reign him in as its a bit scary but secretly I agree with him - it is a perfect position!

Bit worrying about the only $10k short and having to leave! but didn't realise you can have a 2 year extension that may be useful for us as we are really up against it time wise
I went down to the immigration office in wellington street yesterday to get the visas in the passports, now it looks real...'permitted to remain in Australia indefinitely it reads
although it was an uncomfortable moment watching them put a cancelled stamp on my beloved 163, when I remember all the nail biting it took to get it, seems like a distant memory now.
Time to enjoy the country now!
Steve
Old Aug 27th 2007, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Rochdale, then Toronto, then Preston now Tampa, Florida.
wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all

Originally Posted by steveyp
I went down to the immigration office in wellington street yesterday to get the visas in the passports, now it looks real...'permitted to remain in Australia indefinitely it reads
although it was an uncomfortable moment watching them put a cancelled stamp on my beloved 163, when I remember all the nail biting it took to get it, seems like a distant memory now.
Time to enjoy the country now!
Steve
Congrats, those milestones are massive...well done!
Old Aug 28th 2007, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wildmark
Congrats, those milestones are massive...well done!
Thanks Mate...
Coincidentally we considered a Florida move originally, but the business visa did not seem to lead to any kind of permanency.
I guess you are on a green card there? Can you go for citizenship eventually?
Cheers
Steve
Old Aug 28th 2007, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

kegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nice

Congrats on permanent visa - something we can only dream about. But being the optimist I am, I've cut and pasted your tips on how to get it and will look at them again in 2-4 year's time. We're just about to get the stamps in our passport for a 160 visa and we're off to the Sunshine Coast in six week's time (from Hertfordshire).

I've been loitering on this thread ever since we decided to make the move and have followed most of your stories - so although I feel like a peeping tom, I really do know lots about you all! Your tales have helped no end in understanding how it really works.

Once I have something interesting to contribute, I will begin payback!

best wishes to all

Kerry
Old Aug 28th 2007, 2:59 am

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kegsta
Congrats on permanent visa - something we can only dream about. But being the optimist I am, I've cut and pasted your tips on how to get it and will look at them again in 2-4 year's time. We're just about to get the stamps in our passport for a 160 visa and we're off to the Sunshine Coast in six week's time (from Hertfordshire).

I've been loitering on this thread ever since we decided to make the move and have followed most of your stories - so although I feel like a peeping tom, I really do know lots about you all! Your tales have helped no end in understanding how it really works.

Once I have something interesting to contribute, I will begin payback!

best wishes to all

Kerry
Hi Kerry,

Whereabouts in Hertfordshire are you? We lived in Welwyn Garden City and what I'd give now for a wander round the Howard Centre!!!

Good luck on the move. Let us know how you get on!

Jules x
Old Aug 28th 2007, 3:07 am
Forum Regular

kegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nice

Originally Posted by julesandco
Hi Kerry,

Whereabouts in Hertfordshire are you? We lived in Welwyn Garden City and what I'd give now for a wander round the Howard Centre!!!

Good luck on the move. Let us know how you get on!

Jules x
We're just outside of Berkhamsted in a small village called Aldbury. But I do know the Howard Centre as we did some business there last year. Funnily enough, Welwyn Garden City, particularly that part, reminds me more of Australia than most other places in the UK - clean, planned, newish and lots of green! (the other is Milton Keynes, but I definitely wouldn't want to live there!) Yours is one of the stories I've been following for the past few years, so great to "meet" you. Hope the business is doing okay. I realise it's going to be tough, but we've been to Oz six times and already have some distribution out there, so hopefully we'll have a reasonable start. When did you last come back to the UK?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.