business visa 163 anyone got a visa yet?

Old Jan 25th 2008, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

BM615 will become famous soon enoughBM615 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: business visa 163 anyone got a visa yet?

Originally Posted by Carbery
I have been a long time reader of this great thread dipping in every couple of months since we first started our application process in May 2005 and I have felt the highs & lows expressed as if it was our own adventure. We are on the Gold Coast and for the last 18 months have owned a newsagency. If interested our 1 year & 2 year updates are here http://britishexpats.com/articles/au...se-queensland/ & http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=483612.
We have now come to a stage where we can start thinking about applying for PR on a 890/892 visa. At the moment we employ 2 and a half full timers, the turnover is not a problem and have had an initial interview with an immigration lawyer. Our slight worry is that we have to move to a new unit in the shopping centre we are in as it is being refurbished which entails new lease, new shopfit, and other expenses which I have to commit to before we can submit our application for PR. What I am trying to ask is, is the PR application a formality, has anyone been refused,? I dont want to commit to these investments if I find that the PR has not been granted which would require selling the business before all the overheads were paid for.

Best Wishes to all 160/163ers.
Hey Carbery,

nothing is ever a formality with Dimia - as you probably already realise. But, if you meet the criteria then you will get PR. Remeber you will need to provide 2 years accounts and they need to be within 3 months of your application. So try to make your application date within 3 months of June 30th otherwise you will need a nother set of accounts.

This costs quite a bit so we have delayed our application until next July (from last October) - but it's worth waiting just to save 6k.

good luck
Old Jan 25th 2008, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

antmeister is a jewel in the roughantmeister is a jewel in the roughantmeister is a jewel in the roughantmeister is a jewel in the roughantmeister is a jewel in the rough
Lightbulb Re: business visa 163 anyone got a visa yet?

hi just found this thread after searching hundres of sites, im glad i found ppl in a simular situation but im not actually doing this. im in the process of reasearching whats involved in buying a business in australia like a coffee shop or a resturant, it will be in brisbane area or maybe further north i have not really decided yet.
i need to know what visa id have to apply for if im looking into buying an established business, and the business i buy does it have to be a certain value to get the visa issued?
i searched a few businesses and im looking at the $55k + area, basically i need to know whats involved, i dont have a trade so this is really my only option to migrate to australia. oh i forgot to say i have a girlfriend a shes got a child of 6 and i have a child of 4.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

isleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really nice

Originally Posted by antmeister
hi just found this thread after searching hundres of sites, im glad i found ppl in a simular situation but im not actually doing this. im in the process of reasearching whats involved in buying a business in australia like a coffee shop or a resturant, it will be in brisbane area or maybe further north i have not really decided yet.
i need to know what visa id have to apply for if im looking into buying an established business, and the business i buy does it have to be a certain value to get the visa issued?
i searched a few businesses and im looking at the $55k + area, basically i need to know whats involved, i dont have a trade so this is really my only option to migrate to australia. oh i forgot to say i have a girlfriend a shes got a child of 6 and i have a child of 4.

Hi

To qualify for a businesws visa you have to already be self emplyoyed and have an annual turnover of minimum £300,000 for 2 of the past 4 years. It is not as easy as it sounds to obtain a business visa, the criteria is very strict.....I hope this helps
Old Jan 25th 2008, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

antmeister is a jewel in the roughantmeister is a jewel in the roughantmeister is a jewel in the roughantmeister is a jewel in the roughantmeister is a jewel in the rough

there goes my chances then of living in oz. cheers
Old Jan 25th 2008, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice

don't give up too easily!
We've been trying to get to Oz for 3 yrs! Originally on the business 163 visa but can't quite make turnover. We're now looking at either being sponsored as a child care worker or hubby is looking at re-training in bricklaying or air-conditioning.

There are ways of getting round it. If you want it badly enough there's a way.

Look at a student visa, that would enably you to train in Oz, then apply for PR once you got the skills. Read the student visa threads to give you some ideas.

Becky
Old Jan 26th 2008, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

but aint a student visa a bit risky? i have my daughter my gf and her son to support aswell, can they come on it aswell?
Old Jan 26th 2008, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice

but aint a student visa a bit risky? i have my daughter my gf and her son to support aswell, can they come on it aswell?

Any non-permanent visa is risky as there's no guarantees that you will get PR at the end of it. There are lots of people who go out on a student visa, train in a job that's on the MODL then apply when thay've finshed. I might be wrong but I haven't heard of many people not gaining PR this way.

The business visa is just as risky IMHO, because it's only a temp visa for 4 yrs, you've got to make that business work, get required turnover within 4 yrs or you're on the next plane home.

Spouse and dependants can be included on a student visa. Spouse is only allowed to work 20hrs a week (as are you) and school fees have to be paid too.

But, if like us, it may be the only way, it's worth the risk. You only live once!
Old Jan 26th 2008, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

yeh i can see what your saying but dont you have to pay for the courses etc over there? and working 20hrs a week wouldnt really fund rent and food would it? i think ill just do a course here get sum experience and then get sponsored in a few years time.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

yeh i can see what your saying but dont you have to pay for the courses etc over there? and working 20hrs a week wouldnt really fund rent and food would it? i think ill just do a course here get sum experience and then get sponsored in a few years time.
Yes, the courses do have to be paid for, approx $20K! depending on what you do.

We'd thought of retraing here, but according to lots of posts on here, you still need 3/4 yrs work experience on top, so all in all that could theoretically take 5 - 6 yrs!

I'm not waiting that long, I have 2 boys ages 7 and almost 10. Times ticking by, and I'd rather them grow up out there than here.

We are looking at selling our business and house to fund course fees and allocate x amount to get us through the 2 yr course.

If it got us PR, it would be worth every penny.

Have a read through the student posts, there's some great advice from people actually out there training right now. I think it's 'Student visa - medicals' is the post to read, loads of info.

Good luck

Becky
Old Jan 26th 2008, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

i know what you mean about the kids not having much time with there ages etc, mines 4 yr old and i think if i can get a job with training aswell it would be good but i dont fancy my chances coz most the school leavers get them dont they. i think id rather go the way that im guarenteed a job when i get there than scrape thought. you have money to back you up from ya busienss so id say go for it coz your only on this planet once, gud luck.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really nice

Originally Posted by isleofmanmike
Hi

To qualify for a businesws visa you have to already be self emplyoyed and have an annual turnover of minimum £300,000 for 2 of the past 4 years. It is not as easy as it sounds to obtain a business visa, the criteria is very strict.....I hope this helps
Not quite.

Senior executives can also apply (down to level 3 on management chart in bigger organisations with higher turnovers), and the turnover minimum is AUD $300,000, not GBP (typo?)

I think the business visas are vastly under rated by mnay people AND many agents, these visas have low thresholds that many business people can meet (other than one man businesses), and for many people who own property this provides the capital needed.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Rochdale, then Toronto, then Preston now Tampa, Florida.
wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all

there goes my chances then of living in oz. cheers
Don't take this the wrong way but if you fall at the first huddle you should not persue the matter, moving to a different country is an up hill battle and you have to stick at it, if it were easy loads of people would go, you have to really want it!!!

Stick with it and look at different options.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Rochdale, then Toronto, then Preston now Tampa, Florida.
wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jamie Smith
Not quite.

Senior executives can also apply (down to level 3 on management chart in bigger organisations with higher turnovers), and the turnover minimum is AUD $300,000, not GBP (typo?)

I think the business visas are vastly under rated by mnay people AND many agents, these visas have low thresholds that many business people can meet (other than one man businesses), and for many people who own property this provides the capital needed.

Hi Jamie, Just out of interest what do they class level three as?
Old Feb 6th 2008, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Jamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really nice

Hi Mark

My understanding is it has to be no lower than third level on corporate chart, and there are specified levels of responsibilities in the migration regulations that must be met, ie you can't be third level on the chart and make the tea!

What apparently traps many people is they might be senior exec in large corporate, working in a division of the larger corporation eg Marketing Manager of BT Internet as subsidiary of BT, and because the subsidiary does not have it's own financial statements, separate Board, separate shareholdings etc, and does not operate independent of the parent, they are actually maybe fifth level down on BT org chart (that would need to include the subsidiaries).

That's just what I've picked up and is anecdotal, not proper advice per se.

Advice about whether or not someone could be defined as a Senior Exec should be taken from professional migration agents or DIAC.

(That was a paid party political broadcast.... we are not responsible....)
Old Feb 6th 2008, 4:46 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jamie Smith
Not quite.

The provisional business skills visas are also temporary residency visas under the Migration Act 1958 and as such can be very attractive in a taxation and financial planning context.

Best regards.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.