Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

5 points for Investment Bond withdrawn Sept 07?? (PART TWO)

5 points for Investment Bond withdrawn Sept 07?? (PART TWO)

Old Aug 6th 2008, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

Brisbound is a jewel in the roughBrisbound is a jewel in the roughBrisbound is a jewel in the roughBrisbound is a jewel in the roughBrisbound is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: 5 points for Investement Bond withdrawn Sept 07??

Thank you kenwen20 for your wonderful and invaluable support. The same goes for George Lombard.

You can count on us for our full support in the next steps in this process.

Cheers
Brisbound
Old Aug 6th 2008, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

Joannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to all

Thanks to both George Lombard, Kenwen and financial backers!
Old Aug 7th 2008, 12:22 am
Forum Regular

Elton John is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: 5 points for Investement Bond withdrawn Sept 07??

Thanks to everyone involved for their time, efforts and resources.

Going forward I am happy to contribute towards future costs. Please let us know and we can all contribute towards this noble cause.

I think lowering the passing mark seems highly unlikely.

In my view, the most reasonable option seems to be investment in commonwealth bonds, thereby totally bypassing the state governments.
I think the delegation should emphasise this point with the minister. If it needs changing the instrument in the Migration Regulation 1994 (per FAQ document), then they should make the necessary change.

PS: Since a large number of applicants are from UK, has anyone approached the Australian High Commissioner in London? A peaceful demonstration outside the High Commission would certainly generate media attention.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

kenwen20 is just really nicekenwen20 is just really nicekenwen20 is just really nicekenwen20 is just really nicekenwen20 is just really nicekenwen20 is just really nicekenwen20 is just really nicekenwen20 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Elton John

In my view, the most reasonable option seems to be investment in commonwealth bonds, thereby totally bypassing the state governments.
I think the delegation should emphasise this point with the minister. If it needs changing the instrument in the Migration Regulation 1994 (per FAQ document), then they should make the necessary change.
Hi Elton,

Please read this page
http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...cheme-faqs.htm

Why can’t I just put the money in Commonwealth bonds or a bank?The Instrument in the Regulations specifies that the capital investment must be deposited in one of the participating Australian State or Territory government authorities. The Regulations do not permit a deposit in Commonwealth bonds.

Last edited by kenwen20; Aug 7th 2008 at 6:47 am.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

Question Re: 5 points for Investement Bond withdrawn Sept 07??

Originally Posted by kenwen20
Elton:

Please read this page
http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...cheme-faqs.htm

Why can’t I just put the money in Commonwealth bonds or a bank?The Instrument in the Regulations specifies that the capital investment must be deposited in one of the participating Australian State or Territory government authorities. The Regulations do not permit a deposit in Commonwealth bonds.
That's exactly my point.
Why isn't the government making the necessary legislative change?
Are they waiting for the next parliamentary session to commence?

I think we should be asking these questions to the minister, if and when the meeting takes place.

kenwen,
Do you know from yr conversation with George, what's the protocol to get an appointment with the minister. Considering his busy schedule, do you think he will delegate the meeting to his subordinate staff in the ministry?
Old Aug 7th 2008, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

kenwen20 is just really nicekenwen20 is just really nicekenwen20 is just really nicekenwen20 is just really nicekenwen20 is just really nicekenwen20 is just really nicekenwen20 is just really nicekenwen20 is just really nice

I guess for the most of registered agents they do have internal network like dedicated line which can contact minister's office directly. I had seen other agent dial phone to DIAC with much quicker response as well. For us it usually takes more than 20 mins to get to the first available operator.

Last edited by kenwen20; Aug 7th 2008 at 7:27 am.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mcts
Hi ,
Thanks a lot to all the guys who put there time effort and money for giving a rather more clear view on the situation .

I have a Question ..................

"Unfortunately most overseas students have finished studying so are not eligible for a second application, unless they have 12 months of work experience.”

This is the quote that i have got from one of the answers of george .

I have been working for nearly 12 months in the field of .net programming after lodging my PR . Am i eligible for a second application ????

please reply , Ur help will be highly appreciated ..
subclass 175 will suit you.

It is George's hint for me too.

Last edited by kenwen20; Aug 7th 2008 at 7:39 am.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

Joannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to all

Ok folks - Action needed
One door has closed to many of us today via the Ombudsman route, so we need to make the most of any meeting with the minister. Do any ofthe overseas folks have family/friends in Australia that would be willing to represent us with the minister? Please PM me if there are.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

sankan1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Joannec2014
Ok folks - Action needed
One door has closed to many of us today via the Ombudsman route, so we need to make the most of any meeting with the minister. Do any ofthe overseas folks have family/friends in Australia that would be willing to represent us with the minister? Please PM me if there are.
For those who want to know what Tracy Water has send in email, here it is ....

Nothing much, she has closed individual complain to her or to ombudsman
stating its all upon minister now and she cannot do any more except monitoring issue.

(received today afternoon)
"Good afternoon

I refer to your complaint regarding the closure of the Capital Investment Scheme (CIS) and the impact this action has had upon the processing of your visa application by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC).

The role of the Ombudsman is to investigate complaints and determine whether the actions and decisions of a government agency were consistent with the relevant legislation and policy guidelines and fair and reasonable in all the circumstances.

The CIS was a designated security scheme that enabled certain visa applicants to obtain additional points towards their visa application by investing in the scheme. In 2007 Australian State and Territory governments decided to withdraw from the scheme. The decision to withdraw was made by the individual governments and was not a matter that was within DIAC’s control.

In response to complaints we received about the closure of the CIS we initiated regular contact with DIAC about the matter. We sought to establish what action was being taken by DIAC to address the outstanding applications and to discuss strategies put in place to keep applicants informed of the status of their applications.

DIAC has advised that the Minister is currently considering options to address the situation. While section 5(2)(a) of the Ombudsman Act 1976 precludes the Ombudsman from investigating the actions of a Minister, we will maintain regular contact with DIAC to monitor the progress of this matter.

We consider that DIAC has improved its communication strategy for people affected by the closure of the CIS through the creation of the ‘Frequently Asked Questions’ webpage (http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...cheme-faqs.htm) and updates to the website as information becomes available (http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener.../whats-new.htm).

DIAC will also continue to respond to applicants who enquire directly with it, and will contact those who have separately come to the attention of DIAC as being affected by the closure of the designated securities scheme.

We have been pleased to observe that DIAC is actively pursuing options directed at resolving the situation for visa applicants. DIAC has advised that it will move to finalise applications as soon as possible after the Minister makes a decision. This office will continue to monitor the actions of DIAC in relation to this issue. However we are unable to obtain an individual outcome for you as the matter now depends upon the Minister’s decision.

In these circumstances, and as this office will continue to pursue the issue at the systemic level, I have decided that further investigation of your complaint is not warranted as it is unlikely to achieve a better outcome for you. Therefore I intend to close your individual complaint. I understand that you may be disappointed with this decision and that many of your questions remain unanswered; however, there is nothing more we can do at this time.

While DIAC has provided you with some information about migration as a skilled worker you may wish to seek advice from a registered migration agent.

If you have any questions about this decision, you are welcome to phone me on 1300 362 072. You can also contact me by email on [email protected]. I can give you information about your right to an internal review of our decision if you wish. This information is also available on our website at www.ombudsman.gov.au. If you are dissatisfied with some decision or action of DIAC in the future, you are welcome to contact this office again.

Yours sincerely

Tracey Waters
Investigation Officer
Immigration and Detention Investigations Team
Commonwealth Ombudsman
Ph: 02 6276 0191 Fx: 02 6249 7829
Assisting the Australian community by resolving complaints and fostering good government administration
"

Last edited by sankan1; Aug 7th 2008 at 8:52 am.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

Tom_VI is on a distinguished road

Hi Kenwen,

Thanks a lot for your effort and also to the onshore applicants who assisted you financially in your/our pursuit for information.

And please to all of you already in Australia, try to get a chance for a meeting with the Minister Evans a.s.a.p.!
Old Aug 7th 2008, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

Ok folks - Action needed
As the largest group of applicants are from the UK (and other overseas countries) George would like a representative to go with Kenwen to see the Minister, hence if anyone has friends or relatives prepared to represent us this will assist with the meeting with the Minister. I have looked into costs to fly out Aug/Sept and for my husband and I it would be in the region of £3000 with accommodation. I have suggested teleconference to George but I'm awaiting a response.

The ideal is to have someone on the ground prepared to represent all of the overseas applicants.....Ex-exile would you consider this? If anyone has friends or relatives in Perth or Canberra please get in touch with them asap!

This is not just about Kenwen and those onshore George wants an overseas rep too!
Old Aug 7th 2008, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

sankan1 is an unknown quantity at this point

In that case we can organize video conference with one of the representative from UK - (Mobile wireless Broadband and Laptop will do) - Just an idea.

Regarding Collecting detail of those who are in Australia
I have 6 Applicant's contact detail so far from Australia (member of this forum)

1 Melbourne
1 Sydney
2 Close from Sydey
1 Brisbane
1 Unkown

Last edited by sankan1; Aug 7th 2008 at 9:18 am.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Gazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Elton John
We have discussed this before now...
In my view that is NOT a good option at this point in time. I have had $100k doing nothing in a bank for over a year now (which is a LOT of money to me, and has had to be regulalrly topped up as the £ value falls!:curse, I REALLY do not want to lose it for a further year, if there is an alternative.

What might suits one applicant, might be absolutely the worst option for another applicant.

The point is, it's NOT a good idea to try to influence how they resolve this, just that they do resolve this.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

As the largest group of applicants are from the UK (and other overseas countries) George would like a representative to go with Kenwen to see the Minister.
Thanks for spicing up the forum But I think I have to clerify something.
I think I never mention "I can go with George" within the forum or even the PM that I sent. I do apologise if in any sense I give u any ambiguous message.

My point is I wouldn't mind to help the forum to establish a delegation. However, I think I have done too much and this will draw too much attention from DIAC (while I did 60% work out of 100%).

I mean this is our thing. So everyone should contribute some effort (I would not say "even effort" but at least some).

Last edited by kenwen20; Aug 7th 2008 at 11:05 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

Post Re: 5 points for Investement Bond withdrawn Sept 07??

Originally Posted by Gazzap
We have discussed this before now...
In my view that is NOT a good option at this point in time. I have had $100k doing nothing in a bank for over a year now (which is a LOT of money to me, and has had to be regulalrly topped up as the £ value falls!:curse, I REALLY do not want to lose it for a further year, if there is an alternative.

What might suits one applicant, might be absolutely the worst option for another applicant.

The point is, it's NOT a good idea to try to influence how they resolve this, just that they do resolve this.
There are a lot of applications (not affected by cap. Invest) sitting in the pool, as they fall short by five points. They will be the first to object, if one group of applicants are awarded ‘free” five points and they get nothing.

We have to ‘earn’ the five points and the only logical option that will enable us to do that is by investing $100K. The states won’t touch it, so that leaves either commonwealth bonds or a term deposit with a semi government owned commercial bank like Commonwealth Bank of Australia. Other migration related bonds like AOS bonds, sponsored visitor visa bonds are deposited with Commonwealth Bank of Australia.

If anyone has other ideas or options, let the forum know, so that it could included in the discussion agenda with the minister.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.