Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Old Nov 19th 2013, 1:17 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London & Inland

Originally Posted by Mircha
Just wanted to join the bandwagon and be placed on the spreadsheet:

Sent Application to CPC Mississauga: 28th Oct
Application received: 30th Oct (Confirmed by Canada Post)
Sponsor Approval: 15th Nov

I'm applying through common law.

Will keep you updated as time goes on
Originally Posted by Ginger34
Hi there,

I'm new to the forum as well and would love to be added to the spreadsheet as well please!

Sponsorship application received June 5th 2013
Sponsorship approval July 5th 2013

Haven't heard anything more since then so just basically trying to be as patient as possible!

Thanks!
Updated you both - do let us know how you progress!!
Old Nov 19th 2013, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

Ginger34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks! Forgot to mention, in case it's useful - we're married.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

KuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond repute

I've been sitting on this question for a while, not wanting to distract from people that have immediate questions, because I'm just really pondering this as it won't affect me for at least a year yet. I just wanted to ask what people's experiences have been comparing applying as common-law or married. My bf & I will be applying for spousal sponsorship in 2014/2015 (he being a Canadian citizen), and I'm just wondering the pros & cons of doing it either way. I would imagine that applying as married is easier, because you basically only need the marriage certificate and don't need as much proof of relationship as for common-law, right? I'm also wondering about the paperwork aspect of getting sponsorship as CL first then getting married & dealing with a name change, etc.

Our current plan is to get married in the next few years and apply for sponsorship as married. We're "youngsters" so would need to plan ahead financially for what we want to do... If common-law is actually way easier than I'm imagining, then it means we can save for longer and have a nicer wedding! I'm just thinking about this from a practicality point of view. Of course, this is all dependant on me getting a second IEC. We'll most likely be forced to push for common-law if that falls through. I'm already being mindful of collecting and keeping paperwork to help us prove our official 1 year together (even though we've technically been together for over 2 already).

Thanks to anyone who can share their experience or insight on this.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

Orlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of light
Smile re: Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London & Inland

Originally Posted by Ginger34
Hi there,

I'm new to the forum as well and would love to be added to the spreadsheet as well please!

Sponsorship application received June 5th 2013
Sponsorship approval July 5th 2013

Haven't heard anything more since then so just basically trying to be as patient as possible!

Thanks!
Ginger,
I am on a very similar time line so I"ll be curious to know when yours comes through.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

Mary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond repute

Hi SchnookoLoly,

You can finally put me on the spread sheet if you want - Application for spousal sponsorship sent off on 11th Nov and, through postal tracking, it was received in Mississauga on 14th Nov.

that's all I have for now
Old Nov 20th 2013, 1:24 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mary louise
Hi SchnookoLoly,

You can finally put me on the spread sheet if you want - Application for spousal sponsorship sent off on 11th Nov and, through postal tracking, it was received in Mississauga on 14th Nov.

that's all I have for now
All updated!! Good luck!!

Originally Posted by KuroKuro
I've been sitting on this question for a while, not wanting to distract from people that have immediate questions, because I'm just really pondering this as it won't affect me for at least a year yet. I just wanted to ask what people's experiences have been comparing applying as common-law or married. My bf & I will be applying for spousal sponsorship in 2014/2015 (he being a Canadian citizen), and I'm just wondering the pros & cons of doing it either way. I would imagine that applying as married is easier, because you basically only need the marriage certificate and don't need as much proof of relationship as for common-law, right? I'm also wondering about the paperwork aspect of getting sponsorship as CL first then getting married & dealing with a name change, etc.

Our current plan is to get married in the next few years and apply for sponsorship as married. We're "youngsters" so would need to plan ahead financially for what we want to do... If common-law is actually way easier than I'm imagining, then it means we can save for longer and have a nicer wedding! I'm just thinking about this from a practicality point of view. Of course, this is all dependant on me getting a second IEC. We'll most likely be forced to push for common-law if that falls through. I'm already being mindful of collecting and keeping paperwork to help us prove our official 1 year together (even though we've technically been together for over 2 already).

Thanks to anyone who can share their experience or insight on this.
This was pretty well the same situation my now-husband and I were in about two years ago. We qualified as common-law, but debated whether to wait until we were married.

From CIC's point of view, it doesn't matter if you're CL or Married, one isn't more likely to succeed than the other. In their eyes, it's the same.

In terms of paperwork, there's not a lot of difference. You have to provide proof of relationship for both CL and M applications, so that's the same. The extra paperwork you have to do for CL is to prove that you have been living together for at least 12 months, so that means providing things like your lease, utility bills, joint bank statements, etc, showing at least 12 months of cohabitation. A lot of the evidence you provide here overlaps with what you show for proof of relationship, though, like the joint bank accounts and perhaps insurance policies with each other as dependents or beneficiaries. So from that point of view, a teeny bit more work to apply as CL, but we're talking a sliver.

Processing times don't change much between the two - you can look at the spreadsheet in my signature and compare for yourself, there's very little difference. I think in 2013 married applications were processed faster, but in 2012 CL apps were faster (might be reversed, going on memory). As I said, CIC doesn't really distinguish. (In fact, an argument can be made that CL apps are easier to approve because of the time required to live together, whereas any two people can rock up somewhere and elope.)

My personal advice, which you can take or leave, would be to apply as CL if you qualify and just get the application going. That was ultimately what we decided to do - applied January 2012, married April 2012, COPR in hand August 2012.

In terms of the "paperwork aspect" of getting married and name change etc, once you're married just scan a copy of your marriage certificate and drop an email over to CIC. I did this about a week after our wedding, sent the certificate and said I was going to be taking my husband's name. (In my case, it looks like CIC never linked the two though, because an officer called my husband to verify if we did get married as we'd said in our application we had the wedding scheduled for April 2012, Husband told them that I'd emailed but I guess they never put them together! Wasn't an issue for us in any case.) THe email address and the info you need to include is in one of the guidebooks, which I suggest you read cover-to-cover.

Hope that helps!
Old Nov 20th 2013, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

tomashenko is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all for these helpful comments. We have only just found this and the helpful spreadsheet and it makes us think things will happen quicker than first thought.

I am in UK at the moment still working whilst my wife and children are now in Toronto and it is quite hard being apart when you have no idea on an end date.

Happy to be added to the sheet too. Our application was received in missisagua on 13th June and sponsorship was approved on 17th July. We now seem to be in the queue but from what others are experiencing it seems that it could be not too long now?
Old Nov 20th 2013, 3:41 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by tomashenko
Thanks all for these helpful comments. We have only just found this and the helpful spreadsheet and it makes us think things will happen quicker than first thought.

I am in UK at the moment still working whilst my wife and children are now in Toronto and it is quite hard being apart when you have no idea on an end date.

Happy to be added to the sheet too. Our application was received in missisagua on 13th June and sponsorship was approved on 17th July. We now seem to be in the queue but from what others are experiencing it seems that it could be not too long now?
Glad you find the spreadsheet useful - I certainly did when it was us applying!!

I've added you to the spreadsheet - you can see quite a few just before you have heard recently, so I'd guess you aren't too far off... hopefully by the end of the year, but don't forgoet things slow down in December because of the holidays, but hopefully by the end of 2013 or else I'd think early 2014!! Not too far away though!!
Old Nov 20th 2013, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

Ralphstars is just really niceRalphstars is just really niceRalphstars is just really niceRalphstars is just really niceRalphstars is just really niceRalphstars is just really niceRalphstars is just really niceRalphstars is just really niceRalphstars is just really nice

Welcome tomashenko - I know only too well how it feels - I am stuck in the UK with my son playing the waiting game and my husband has been back in Canada since January although our application was received August 2013
Old Nov 20th 2013, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

Ginger34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Orlaith
Ginger,
I am on a very similar time line so I"ll be curious to know when yours comes through.
I promise I'll keep you posted - and vice versa too please!
Old Nov 20th 2013, 9:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

You're not just waiting for the 'end date' though are you? i.e. you have another reason for staying in the UK such as work?

You could move there if you wanted to, and wait for PR in Canada. I'm sure you're aware and have other reasons, but just thought I'd mention it.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 7:46 am
Just Joined

tomashenko is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys. Yes I'm still Woking here in London while I wait. Plan then to look for work once (fingers crossed) I get approved. In the meantime my wifd is there settling our girls in and doing the same.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

KuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
This was pretty well the same situation my now-husband and I were in about two years ago. We qualified as common-law, but debated whether to wait until we were married.

From CIC's point of view, it doesn't matter if you're CL or Married, one isn't more likely to succeed than the other. In their eyes, it's the same.

In terms of paperwork, there's not a lot of difference. You have to provide proof of relationship for both CL and M applications, so that's the same. The extra paperwork you have to do for CL is to prove that you have been living together for at least 12 months, so that means providing things like your lease, utility bills, joint bank statements, etc, showing at least 12 months of cohabitation. A lot of the evidence you provide here overlaps with what you show for proof of relationship, though, like the joint bank accounts and perhaps insurance policies with each other as dependents or beneficiaries. So from that point of view, a teeny bit more work to apply as CL, but we're talking a sliver.

Processing times don't change much between the two - you can look at the spreadsheet in my signature and compare for yourself, there's very little difference. I think in 2013 married applications were processed faster, but in 2012 CL apps were faster (might be reversed, going on memory). As I said, CIC doesn't really distinguish. (In fact, an argument can be made that CL apps are easier to approve because of the time required to live together, whereas any two people can rock up somewhere and elope.)

My personal advice, which you can take or leave, would be to apply as CL if you qualify and just get the application going. That was ultimately what we decided to do - applied January 2012, married April 2012, COPR in hand August 2012.

In terms of the "paperwork aspect" of getting married and name change etc, once you're married just scan a copy of your marriage certificate and drop an email over to CIC. I did this about a week after our wedding, sent the certificate and said I was going to be taking my husband's name. (In my case, it looks like CIC never linked the two though, because an officer called my husband to verify if we did get married as we'd said in our application we had the wedding scheduled for April 2012, Husband told them that I'd emailed but I guess they never put them together! Wasn't an issue for us in any case.) THe email address and the info you need to include is in one of the guidebooks, which I suggest you read cover-to-cover.

Hope that helps!
Thank you so much for all this information! For a while, I was dead set on getting married soon, just to make this whole process easier, but you've convinced me that it won't really make much difference either way! Of course, things might still turn out that way, but my bf & I can at least start actively making sure we'll have things that prove our 12 months co-habiting.

Thank you again!

(If anyone else has any other advice or experiences, please let me know)
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

groovy_moose is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, long time lurker, here. Just wanted to let you know my dates so you could add them to the spread sheet if you like. App received Oct 30th, Sponsor approval 22nd Nov! Now i just have all my fingers and toes cross that it will go through despite our lack of joint bills of any kind (though plenty of other evidence!) :s

(applying for common law, incidentally)

Last edited by groovy_moose; Nov 22nd 2013 at 2:14 pm.
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

Orlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of light

Hi there,

I was wondering if someone could throw some light on something for me. I got a reply from London today in response to an email saying

"Please be advised that the initial review has been completed and the application is now awaiting review by the Immigration Officer."

Could this be an indication that there will be some movement soon?
Many thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.