Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

TFW/LMO Suspended for Food Services

TFW/LMO Suspended for Food Services

Old Apr 27th 2014, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TFW/LMO Suspended for Food Services

Originally Posted by jamesmc
As i was told when the group at work i was in started bitching about TWPs stealing jobs ......no no you are scottish...we mean ### .....::.you get the drift.

jimmy
I get the same type of response. White Europeans, particularly the British or Dutch, are almost expected to be here.

'Other' nationalities seem to be despised. Whilst mainly being based on the colour of skin, 'Other' also includes French-speakers in BC, probably due to the attitude of the People's Republic of Quebec....

However, most people seem to expect a Mexican or Filipino to be cleaning their hotel room or doing other unpleasant tasks, which presumably Canadians are too good for.

The vitriol about fast food outlets beats me. Canadians don't seem to want those jobs in reality. The ones doing all the bleating probably wouldn't be seen dead working in one (or working at all). Probably because you don't get tips...

Last edited by withabix; Apr 27th 2014 at 3:16 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 4:17 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
I get the same type of response. White Europeans, particularly the British or Dutch, are almost expected to be here.

'Other' nationalities seem to be despised. Whilst mainly being based on the colour of skin, 'Other' also includes French-speakers in BC, probably due to the attitude of the People's Republic of Quebec....

However, most people seem to expect a Mexican or Filipino to be cleaning their hotel room or doing other unpleasant tasks, which presumably Canadians are too good for.

The vitriol about fast food outlets beats me. Canadians don't seem to want those jobs in reality. The ones doing all the bleating probably wouldn't be seen dead working in one (or working at all). Probably because you don't get tips...
Must be an Abbotsford/small town thing. I've never heard that in Vancouver. But then, half the Canadians in Van aren't white.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
Must be an Abbotsford/small town thing. I've never heard that in Vancouver. But then, half the Canadians in Van aren't white.
I've seen it in Kelowna, Vancouver and Victoria.

I don't see it in Abbotsford.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe all these people you're talking with should sign up to follow a Canadian version of Nick Griffin. They can call their party the Canadian National Party that wants only people with "Canadian DNA" living in Canada while other foreigners/'citizens' will remain as 'permanent guests' rather than citizens.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen it in Kelowna, Vancouver and Victoria.

I don't see it in Abbotsford.
Have you ever seen it in Nanaimo? Asking this is ironic seeing that the whole controversy started in Victoria (also on Vancouver Island). Nobody ever treated me like an unwanted second-class citizen when I lived there, but it seems like you're now implying that racist/xenophobic discussions like these go on behind closed doors.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 7:54 am
Just Joined

Cassiel is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Need help November of last year my lmo was approved just waiting for the visa,does it affect me on this.

Thanks
Old Apr 29th 2014, 1:15 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bc_guy
How long do you think this moratorium is going to last? A week, a month, a year, a decade? It's a moratorium, so it won't last forever.
Until the Tim Horton's in the foyer at the CBC office building is short-staffed.

Seriously, not long: http://www.calgaryherald.com/busines...933/story.html
Old Apr 29th 2014, 6:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Steve_
Until the Tim Horton's in the foyer at the CBC office building is short-staffed.

Seriously, not long: http://www.calgaryherald.com/busines...933/story.html
OK, so I came across a recent news article where Kenney says that the moratorium will last for "weeks rather than months". Once you pass the 2-month mark, it's months rather than weeks. So I'm guessing that it would probably take between 2 and 7 weeks.

I can totally live with that as long as they're don't permanently cancel the program for restaurants. Also, I can totally live with it if my employer wouldn't have to re-apply for an all-new blanket LMO. I'm strongly hoping that he can use the one he has now and proceed with adding my name to it. But it seems like ESDC is refunding incomplete LMO applications. I wonder if this also applies to blanket LMOs with unfilled positions. I strongly hope not.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 9:09 am
Just Joined

Cassiel is an unknown quantity at this point

Any unused positions on positive LMOs that have been issued to employers for these sectors will be suspended and therefore will no longer be able to be used to obtain a worker permit.
Got my lmo last october just waiting for the work permit so they can still cancel my lmo
Old Apr 29th 2014, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

MrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really nice

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
What happens in more rural areas where they get no interest from Canadians in these jobs?
They will be begging for people like us on the IEC
Old Apr 29th 2014, 9:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Canadian's are willing to do those jobs, I have worked in several hotels in BC and Alberta, and all had Canadian's cleaning the rooms, as does my current hotel.

We do pay a slightly higher wage then the industry standard so we can attract employees, but its not hard to find people willing and able to do these jobs.

It's just why would you work in fast food for 10.25 when you can get another job that pays a bit more and isn't fast food, raise the pay, and you may find there are people willing to do the job.

We pay housekeepers 12-13/hr to start, and we have 0 issue getting people at that wage, at 10.25 or 10.50 yes we would have issues, so we upped the pay and like magic people applied.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

tee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrFloyd
Until that gets scrutinized. I could give you 50 examples of the way i've seen the IEC being abused in the way as the fastfood lmo's. Especially in resorts where its preferential to hire IEC ers as they generally work for less and dont complain about not being paid over time for fear of being replaced by the other 1000 IEC applicants
Old Apr 29th 2014, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

MrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really nice

Originally Posted by tee1
Until that gets scrutinized. I could give you 50 examples of the way i've seen the IEC being abused in the way as the fastfood lmo's. Especially in resorts where its preferential to hire IEC ers as they generally work for less and dont complain about not being paid over time for fear of being replaced by the other 1000 IEC applicants
Aye, I could imagine that. Partly the reason I want to avoid to complete resort towns and go to Canmore.... I know, right?
Old Apr 30th 2014, 12:14 am
Chips & Gravy

jennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MrFloyd
I dunno...

http://www.theprovince.com/business/...104/story.html
Old Apr 30th 2014, 2:46 am
Forum Regular

MountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jennellapea
Every ski resort in western Canada would close if it wasn't for IEC workers. Nearly every accent I hear from the ticket booth to the lift attendants is an Australian accent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.