British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   TFW/LMO Suspended for Food Services (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/tfw-lmo-suspended-food-services-832196/)

SchnookoLoly Apr 25th 2014 3:39 am

TFW/LMO Suspended for Food Services

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/#!/content/1.2621385/

withabix Apr 25th 2014 4:32 am

Re: TFW/LMO Suspended for Food Services

This will only work if they force the "won't-work" Canadians to work in those jobs.

There are plenty here who deliberately avoid getting a job so that they can claim EI.

Then of course there are reasons why your donut and coffee cost $1 each and your Teen burger $3...low wages...do you want to pay double for your double double?

beckiwoo Apr 25th 2014 8:51 am

Does this affect those working as servers in bars independent restaurants or is it just the corporate fast food industry?

Does this also mean that some of the PNP routes may change - for the semi skilled NOC codes that require LMO for the hospitality and tourism industry? ( I'm not sure if that is right but I'm hoping someone knows what I am taking about) - this is for the one in BC

Dorothy Apr 25th 2014 8:56 am

Originally Posted by withabix (Post 11233494)
This will only work if they force the "won't-work" Canadians to work in those jobs.

There are plenty here who deliberately avoid getting a job so that they can claim EI.

Then of course there are reasons why your donut and coffee cost $1 each and your Teen burger $3...low wages...do you want to pay double for your double double?

Won't work because they want to collect EI? Have you ever tried to claim EI?

scrubbedexpat091 Apr 25th 2014 9:02 am

Prices going up isn't a valid reason in my opinion to have a TFW program for fast food and other very entry level unskilled positions.

As for the EI thing well if your getting 350 a week on EI, and the local fast food joint is only paying 10.25/hr for 20 hours a week, for 205 a week, do you really blame people for not working for that wage and staying on EI as long as possible?

It's time these places learn to pay a going wage for their area, and offer sufficient hours people can live on, so they can attract employees. If it means higher prices, so be it. Everything goes up in price over time. We don't need $1 coffees, Starbucks proves if you have a decent product, and brand, people will pay a premium for it.

They also pay 11-12/hr and have no issues it seems finding employees in the area's I have lived in.

SchnookoLoly Apr 25th 2014 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by beckiwoo (Post 11233649)
Does this affect those working as servers in bars independent restaurants or is it just the corporate fast food industry?

Does this also mean that some of the PNP routes may change - for the semi skilled NOC codes that require LMO for the hospitality and tourism industry? ( I'm not sure if that is right but I'm hoping someone knows what I am taking about) - this is for the one in BC

I heard on the radio this morning that it's the entire food services industry, not limited to fast food. There generally have been one too many cases of restaurants hiring foreign workers instead of Canadians where Canadians have applied.

I don't think it would affect the other streams that require LMOs, since it's the Food Services portion of TFW that's been suspended, not any of the other streams. (I am guessing, though.)

Former Lancastrian Apr 25th 2014 1:23 pm

I can't say Im surprised by this though it should have been sooner. Im sure the hotel industry is next as I have processed LMOs for TFWs coming to work in hotels.

orly Apr 25th 2014 1:58 pm

Yes...I'm regularly seeing news of Tims etc making losses. Oh wait...that's right. Tim Hortons profit in 2013 was over $600 million. Yep...it's hard times making over $1000 in profit every minute. I don't even think they sell a coffee for $1 unless it's a special offer.

steve of 5-0 Apr 25th 2014 2:41 pm

Who wrecked the process....?

To begin with the Fast Food Franchise owners got too greedy in the end and you may ask how....well I will tell ya!

One would agree that if Canadians did not want the jobs then of course a TFW programme was the answer.

However where it goes wrong is the following.....

The franchise owners who started paying a higher rate and giving more hours to TFWs rather then local Canadians and in the end laying off Canadians and hiring even more TFWs, well these franchise owners have another business going on too!.....

They either own or are part of a residential property owning business and they (the Franchise owners) decided to guarantee themselves a continued flow of "locked in" tenants", by using the Immigration Services TFW programme as a "cash-cow!" and to make sure the TFWs could pay their rents, the Franchise Owners/Hirers paid as much as they could afford to TFW staff at the expense of lowering pay to/ or firing Canadians.

If anyone reading this is outside Canada right now....just google

CBC news temporary foreign workers.

Princesstigger Apr 25th 2014 2:55 pm

Well, that's another job I've lost at the last minute, my prospective employer had an open lmo and my name was getting added to it.... Back to square one again. Can't say I'm surprised.

Former Lancastrian Apr 25th 2014 3:00 pm

Time that some myths and truths were told about this situation from my observations and dealings with TFWs in various programmes

1. I dont blame the workers
2. Some Canadians will not work in these jobs for minimum wage or move across the country to where these jobs are even higher paying jobs.
3. Very few if any of these jobs (minimum wage) are taken by citizens of the G8 countries on LMOs not counting those coming across on working holiday visas (IEC).
4. The vast majority of these workers are coming from 3rd world countries who are hoping to eventually get PR status via another programme be it PNP or CEC.
5. They are paid pittance wages in their own countries and to some $10 an hour is decent money.
6. How many Tim Hortons or McDonalds locations do you really need in your city or town and remember the vast majority are franchisees and only carry the corporate name. In my city there are 26 Tim Hortons locations yes 26.
7. The TFWs don't get paid 15% less than Canadian workers that part was scrapped.

Thats only a few I can think of.

bc_guy Apr 25th 2014 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by Princesstigger (Post 11234095)
Well, that's another job I've lost at the last minute, my prospective employer had an open lmo and my name was getting added to it.... Back to square one again. Can't say I'm surprised.

Same here. Earlier this week, my employer asked for my information so that he can finally add my name to the LMO. Well, it looks like I'm back to square one.

The more ironic thing about my situation is that my employer got this LMO after a very heated appeal/fight with Service Canada because he really needs the workers and managed to convince them to overturn a negative LMO decision.

All I can do right now is hope they keep the program long enough for me to find another job in some other industry and make it to the inside of Canada's borders. Better yet, I hope that Kenney softens his stance really soon and decides to make an exception for rural restaurants up in areas with low unemployment up north. If such an exception is going to be made, then I hope my employer doesn't close down between now and then.

beckiwoo Apr 25th 2014 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly (Post 11233906)
I heard on the radio this morning that it's the entire food services industry, not limited to fast food. There generally have been one too many cases of restaurants hiring foreign workers instead of Canadians where Canadians have applied.

I don't think it would affect the other streams that require LMOs, since it's the Food Services portion of TFW that's been suspended, not any of the other streams. (I am guessing, though.)

Ok well I suppose if your a supervisor or manager you can apply through FSW ( CEC it's ineligible).

I can see why they have suspended it. it's just means in two- three years time if I want to stay my only probable option is spousal sponsorship :(

Things may change though I suppose.

Iwanna44 Apr 25th 2014 3:35 pm

Is student with Off-Campus work permit considered TFW?

Thanks

bc_guy Apr 25th 2014 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by Iwanna44 (Post 11234166)
Is student with Off-Campus work permit considered TFW?

Thanks

No, an off-campus work permit is a type of open work permit, not a temporary foreign worker permit.