Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

TFW/LMO Suspended for Food Services

TFW/LMO Suspended for Food Services

Old May 10th 2014, 4:42 am
BE Enthusiast

bc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TFW/LMO Suspended for Food Services

It seems like they updated the ESDC notice two days ago in order to make clear exactly which jobs are affected by the moratorium. It now indicates that only food service jobs with those NOCs are affected. So, if a job shares a similar NOC but does not involve food service, then the moratorium doesn't apply. Here's the link to the modified page stating this:

http://www.esdc.gc.ca/eng/jobs/forei...ef/index.shtml

I'm guessing this means that they got a lot of emails and calls about this moratorium. During the past week or so, they also put up a list of frequently asked questions. It can be found here:

http://www.esdc.gc.ca/eng/jobs/forei..._ref/q_a.shtml
Old May 10th 2014, 4:44 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bc_guy
It seems like they updated the ESDC notice two days ago in order to make clear exactly which jobs are affected by the moratorium. It now indicates that only food service jobs with those NOCs are affected. So, if a job shares a similar NOC but does not involve food service, then the moratorium doesn't apply. Here's the link to the modified page stating this:

I'm guessing this means that they got a lot of emails and calls about this moratorium. During the past week or so, they also put up a list of frequently asked questions. It can be found here:

http://www.esdc.gc.ca/eng/jobs/forei..._ref/q_a.shtml
Thank you for going to the trouble of finding this. I'm sure it will put a few people's minds at rest.

it's lifted soon so that you can continue with your plans.

Old May 10th 2014, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

bc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Thank you for going to the trouble of finding this. I'm sure it will put a few people's minds at rest.

it's lifted soon so that you can continue with your plans.

Thanks for the best wishes. It looks like it will be lifted soon. The ESDC minister seems to be giving consistent updates on progress to news outlets. Earlier this week, he mentioned a plan to increase the $275 fee to help pay for the enforcement of program regulations. At least the review is moving forward. Hopefully, they're done with their review within the next 2 - 3 weeks.
Old May 16th 2014, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

It looks like they're getting ready to end the moratorium on restaurants soon and make their reformations to the TFWP. I just came across a news article where the mayor of Banff said that she was told by Jason Kenney's chief of staff that the process of reforming the TFWP would take weeks instead of months:

http://www.rmoutlook.com/article/201...n-tfw-decision

This conversation between the mayor and the feds took place on May 9 and I see that the feds made a few suggestions for reforms yesterday. This is good progress and it probably indicates that the ban is likely to be lifted by this month's end.
Old May 21st 2014, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Here's a link to an article in which Jason Kenney says that it will take approximately one month for him to announce his fixes to the program:

http://www.630ched.com/2014/05/21/lu...n-tfw-program/

At least we now know how long we should expect to wait for a decision. I hope that these fixes result in the end of the ban.
Old May 22nd 2014, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

Shimo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope this all works out and my work place can sponsor me or else it's going to be a pretty miserable year
Old May 22nd 2014, 3:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shimo1
I hope this all works out and my work place can sponsor me or else it's going to be a pretty miserable year
I hope this all works out for you too. Unfortunately, your employer might have to pay $2325 for your LMO if the government decides to raise the LMO user fees. Last week, there was a lot of uproar over the possibility of a new fee among other proposed changes floated by ESDC officials.

The ban will most likely at the same time as when ESDC Minister Jason Kenney announces his changes to the public. On May 20, he said that it will take about a month, so we should hear the final verdict by June 20 (more or less).
Old May 24th 2014, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

I found another update. ESDC has yet again changed modified their moratorium notice on May 22. This includes specifications as to which kinds of food service places are affected by the moratorium. Here's the link:

Of course, this link will probably be meaningless in another week or so after more chances are made. Anyway, here's the text that was added to the old pre- May 22 page:

[QUOTE]classified under North American Industry Classification System (NAICS 722), which is defined as establishments primarily engaged in preparing meals, snacks and beverages, to customer order, for immediate consumption on and off the premises. This subsector does not include food service activities that occur within establishments such as hotels, civic and social associations, amusement and recreation parks, and theatres. However, leased food-service locations in facilities such as hotels, shopping malls, airports and department stores are included.[\QUOTE]
Old May 31st 2014, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

The moratorium is being lifted next week according to two MPs from Prince George - Peace River and Westlock - St Paul. One of them says that the moratorium will be lifted tomorrow (no kidding), while the other says that it's likely to be lifted in early June. I highly doubt they'll lift it tomorrow but I believe it will be lifted some time next week.

Here are links:

http://www.coldlakesun.com/2014/05/2...e-to-be-lifted

http://www.biv.com/article/20140523/...end-soon-bc-mp

We're less than 48 hours away from the end of June 1.
Old Jun 1st 2014, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

The moratorium is being lifted next week according to two MPs from Prince George - Peace River and Westlock - St Paul. One of them says that the moratorium will be lifted tomorrow (no kidding), while the other says that it's likely to be lifted in early June. I highly doubt they'll lift it tomorrow but I believe it will be lifted some time next week.

Here are links:

http://www.coldlakesun.com/2014/05/2...e-to-be-lifted

http://www.biv.com/article/20140523/...end-soon-bc-mp

We're less than 48 hours away from the end of June 1.
for you and others that got caught up in this.

S
Old Jun 11th 2014, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shirtback
for you and others that got caught up in this.

S
Unfortunately, it wasn't lifted last week but thanks for your best wishes. It should be ending soon though. I have enough faith it'll get done this summer (if not by the end of the month).
Old Jun 19th 2014, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Good news everyone, Jason Kenney is announcing his changes to the program tomorrow afternoon. You can read about it here:

Ottawa to announce changes to foreign-worker program Friday - The Globe and Mail
Old Jun 19th 2014, 9:27 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Good news everyone, Jason Kenney is announcing his changes to the program tomorrow afternoon. You can read about it here:

Ottawa to announce changes to foreign-worker program Friday - The Globe and Mail
Well, he has to announce something tomorrow 'cos he knocks off for the summer after that. But don't expect it to be anything well thought out or anything even vaguely effective, but I hope it sorts out your problem.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 9:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Well, he has to announce something tomorrow 'cos he knocks off for the summer after that. But don't expect it to be anything well thought out or anything even vaguely effective, but I hope it sorts out your problem.
Oh you cynic Novo everybody knows Mr Kenney is a great minister ( future PM material according to some ).
Old Jun 19th 2014, 9:44 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Oh you cynic Novo everybody knows Mr Kenney is a great minister ( future PM material according to some ).
Cynic, moi? I bet you actually agree with me though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.