Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

TFW/LMO Suspended for Food Services

TFW/LMO Suspended for Food Services

Old Apr 25th 2014, 3:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TFW/LMO Suspended for Food Services

Originally Posted by bc_guy
No, an off-campus work permit is a type of open work permit, not a temporary foreign worker permit.
Remember the rules for this are changing on 1 June 2014
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-offcampus.asp

This thread will NOT affect full time students looking for part time or full time work when these new rules come in. Students won't need LMOs under the new off campus rules as per the link.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 4:49 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Remember the rules for this are changing on 1 June 2014
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-offcampus.asp

This thread will NOT affect full time students looking for part time or full time work when these new rules come in. Students won't need LMOs under the new off campus rules as per the link.
1. Students attending designated schools never did require LMOs for Off Campus work permits. They weren't eligible until 6 months of satisfactory schooling. As of June/01 they can start working part time off campus from day 1, no work permit required.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 4:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. Students attending designated schools never did require LMOs for Off Campus work permits. They weren't eligible until 6 months of satisfactory schooling. As of June/01 they can start working part time off campus from day 1, no work permit required.
I know Just pointing it out in case students think they might need LMOs with the new rules How students got into this thread is a mystery anyway unless they have just quit studying.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
What a load of shit. Won't work because they want to collect EI? Have you ever tried to claim EI?
How rude.

On the very same CBC programme there were reports of people sending the same resume in to the same companies every 2 weeks and never returning phone calls when someone wanted to give them a job.

Because they didn't want a job. They wanted EI.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 7:25 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bc_guy
Same here. Earlier this week, my employer asked for my information so that he can finally add my name to the LMO. Well, it looks like I'm back to square one.

The more ironic thing about my situation is that my employer got this LMO after a very heated appeal/fight with Service Canada because he really needs the workers and managed to convince them to overturn a negative LMO decision.

All I can do right now is hope they keep the program long enough for me to find another job in some other industry and make it to the inside of Canada's borders. Better yet, I hope that Kenney softens his stance really soon and decides to make an exception for rural restaurants up in areas with low unemployment up north. If such an exception is going to be made, then I hope my employer doesn't close down between now and then.
I tend to peruse other news sites and Reddit (good source for discussions on this subject). Reading the posts and comments there is a venomous vitriol against this TFW program. A substantial number of people are calling for it to be scrapped and existing permits to be cancelled. All of them. No exceptions. It's not just a tiny minority. The abuses of the system have opened a can of worms.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all

............I love it!

Now the CEO of McDonalds Canada has been caught out!

I thank CBC for revealing the information given to them!
Old Apr 25th 2014, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
How rude.

On the very same CBC programme there were reports of people sending the same resume in to the same companies every 2 weeks and never returning phone calls when someone wanted to give them a job.

Because they didn't want a job. They wanted EI.
No. Not rude. Welcome to Real Life.

I have been fortunate to only have to sign on for EI twice in 17 years. Both times, despite meeting all criteria, providing all required documentation, I had to jump through multiple, unrequired (according to official sources) hoops to get it,

1st time around, I found a new job, & had been working for nearly 3 months when EI informed me I would get benefits.

2nd time around, in October 2013, I was asked for supplementary documentation, not listed as required, which I nevertheless provided, & received notification that I was accepted as eligible for EI Payments. I'm still waiting to actually receive any money, despite being still listed as unemployed. I get by on a p-t/casual job/savings.

I am aware of people who manage to play the system & live off welfare payments. And who think I am daft to work for the same amount they receive on welfare

S
Old Apr 25th 2014, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

they should have a look at certain trucking companies as well! when they are at it.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamesmc
they should have a look at certain trucking companies as well! when they are at it.
100% right, probably the most abused TFW's over here.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 11:07 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Yawn, so now Kenney (who supposedly is now the minister of employment, not immigration) has said that the TFW cannot be used by fast food restaurants. And there was that whole RBC scandal with the TWP.

On the basis of what can only be described as some hysteria whipped up by CBC.

I appreciate that maybe some of the employers weren't following the rules but on the other hand it's not clear cut. There are various legal avenues, employment standards, human rights complaint, etc. but no, let's have hysterical reporting by the CBC knowing full well the employer can't comment for legal reasons. Apparently you can also complain to ESDC directly and get the LMO revoked: http://www.esdc.gc.ca/eng/jobs/forei..._revoked.shtml

I know years ago I went into fast food restaurants that appeared to be run by children the labour shortage was so bad (and so we had radio ads explaining the child labour laws) and the local BK used to close on weekends(!) because they didn't have enough staff (now apparently they are all Filipino).

There's a legal procedure here and it all seems to be knee-jerk at the moment.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 11:08 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

And apparently McDonald's has now issued a press release accusing CBC (correctly imo) of being biased and the CEO has had a conference call with franchisees which was recorded, saying it's "bullshit" - well if ever there was an expert on it...
Old Apr 25th 2014, 11:14 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by steve of 5-0
To begin with the Fast Food Franchise owners got too greedy in the end and you may ask how....well I will tell ya!
I think that is a statement being made by CBC that is somewhat devoid of facts at this point. One McDonald's franchisee in Victoria has had their LMO yanked and a couple of others in Alberta are being investigated - that's a long way short of "fast food franchise owners".

CBC just got carried away after the RBC scandal and now they're just trolling for people who are complaining. This story (which originally came from CBC) sounds very suspicious to me: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/04...n_5187344.html

All of the restaurant's staff members received discharge letters in March, she added; some were offered their jobs back, including two temporary foreign workers.
ALL of the staff were laid off - which sounds like a change of ownership to me and only TWO foreign workers were rehired. Probably for perfectly sound reasons.
Old Apr 26th 2014, 12:39 am
BE Enthusiast

bc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond repute

How long do you think this moratorium is going to last? A week, a month, a year, a decade? It's a moratorium, so it won't last forever. They're going to have to have to end this suspension at some point and come out with a decision to either keep the TFW program for restaurants (possibly with new restrictions) or scrap it altogether. Im hoping that they do the former instead of making the innocent suffer for the guilty.
Old Apr 26th 2014, 12:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
I am aware of people who manage to play the system & live off welfare payments. And who think I am daft to work for the same amount they receive on welfareS
EI isn't welfare and only way to even qualify for it is to work, and pay into it, and its an insurance program.

Social assistance in Canada pays very little, and anyone working is making more then a single on welfare, in BC for example you get up to 375 for housing, and 235 for living expenses. Welfare doesn't provide what people seem to think it does.
Old Apr 26th 2014, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
EI isn't welfare and only way to even qualify for it is to work, and pay into it, and its an insurance program.
Thank you, I know that, having btdtgtts. My post was rather off topic, & intended to refute another which inferred one could happily "screw the system" on EI benefits.

Welfare/social assistance is a totally different can of worms, & I shouldn't have introduced it

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.