Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

TFW/LMO Suspended for Food Services

TFW/LMO Suspended for Food Services

Old Apr 26th 2014, 3:44 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TFW/LMO Suspended for Food Services

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

I think that it might from the following statement, unless the Work Permit has been issued.

As a result, I am announcing an immediate moratorium on the Food Services Sector’s access to the Temporary Foreign Worker Program. Accordingly, ESDC will not process any new or pending LMO applications related to the Food Services Sector. In addition, any unfilled positions tied to a previously approved LMO will be suspended. This moratorium will remain in effect until the completion of the on-going review of the Temporary Foreign Worker Program.
It was the 'unfilled' position that made me wonder - bcguy has been offered the job subject to LMO approval, it isn't a 'blanket' LMO and the company had to appeal to HRDC to get it approved so it isn't 'unfilled' - the LMO would have his name on it. I suppose it would depend on the interpretation of 'unfilled'.

Old Apr 26th 2014, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond repute

I gotta say, I have been watching this and have seen one of the Facebook pages setup by Canadians against TFW.

Some of the pure vitriol I have read there shocked me.

For a country that, apart from First Nations, is made up of immigrants or direct descendants of immigrants, this made me sit with my mouth open for a while (not a pretty sight lol) when I read the bigotry and racism there.

This has made me worry about the chances of getting a positive LMO for my own job ( project manager ) which is due around the end of May.

Hopefully the government office that processes this won't punish us all for the stupid acts of a minority (on both sides)
Old Apr 26th 2014, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

aye that page is a lulu..i have been told by friends that they have seen people wearing hoodies /tshirts with TFW out ,etc in AB.on the patch in SK.
As i was told when the group at work i was in started bitching about TWPs stealing jobs ......no no you are scottish...we mean ### .....::.you get the drift.

jimmy
Old Apr 26th 2014, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
It was the 'unfilled' position that made me wonder - bcguy has been offered the job subject to LMO approval, it isn't a 'blanket' LMO and the company had to appeal to HRDC to get it approved so it isn't 'unfilled' - the LMO would have his name on it. I suppose it would depend on the interpretation of 'unfilled'.

Actually, this affects me. My employer's unnamed/blanket LMO with 10 positions was approved, but he did not yet add my name to it. He requested my information two days before the ban, so there's no way that I'm getting that LMO. Also, it seems like 'LMO suspension' means that you can't use it to get a work permit even if it's already been approved and has a name on it.

Nothing to do but wait for the moratorium to end. Hopefully my employer doesn't go out of business if it drags on for too long. One of the reasons I was hired was because of my ability to get there quickly.
Old Apr 26th 2014, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamesmc
aye that page is a lulu..i have been told by friends that they have seen people wearing hoodies /tshirts with TFW out ,etc in AB.on the patch in SK.
As i was told when the group at work i was in started bitching about TWPs stealing jobs ......no no you are scottish...we mean ### .....::.you get the drift.

jimmy
Are you implying that they don't want non-European foreigners working in Canada?
Old Apr 26th 2014, 8:51 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bc_guy
Actually, this affects me. My employer's unnamed/blanket LMO with 10 positions was approved, but he did not yet add my name to it. He requested my information two days before the ban, so there's no way that I'm getting that LMO. Also, it seems like 'LMO suspension' means that you can't use it to get a work permit even if it's already been approved and has a name on it.

Nothing to do but wait for the moratorium to end. Hopefully my employer doesn't go out of business if it drags on for too long. One of the reasons I was hired was because of my ability to get there quickly.
Ah, sorry, I misunderstood - I didn't realise it was a blanket LMO, I thought that the employer had applied specifically for you.

it gets sorted soon.

Old Apr 26th 2014, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bc_guy
Are you implying that they don't want non-European foreigners working in Canada?
You can't account for bigotry of any form mate

I hope it works out for you and you get your LMO!
Old Apr 27th 2014, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Yesterday, ESDC posted an update indicating that this ban is being extended into other work beyond restaurants.

http://www.esdc.gc.ca/eng/jobs/forei...ef/index.shtml
Old Apr 27th 2014, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

Shimo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

So what happens now? My employer and the immigration lawyer I have just paid was going to send the LMO paper work off on the day of the ban. My holiday working visa is up in the 19th June. What are people suppose to do now?
Old Apr 27th 2014, 12:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shimo1
So what happens now? My employer and the immigration lawyer I have just paid was going to send the LMO paper work off on the day of the ban. My holiday working visa is up in the 19th June. What are people suppose to do now?
As much as I hate to say this but you will have to find another employer willing to apply for an LMO for a job that the NOC codes contained in that ESDC link in the post by bc guy are not on.
IEC work permits CANNOT be extended.
Failing that return home or transfer over to visitor status and keep job hunting or ask your lawyer do you qualify under any other routes e.g. CEC, PNP.
Is your job NOC code on the moratorium list?
Old Apr 27th 2014, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
As much as I hate to say this but you will have to find another employer willing to apply for an LMO for a job that the NOC codes contained in that ESDC link in the post by bc guy are not on.
IEC work permits CANNOT be extended.
Failing that return home or transfer over to visitor status and keep job hunting or ask your lawyer do you qualify under any other routes e.g. CEC, PNP.
Is your job NOC code on the moratorium list?
I work as a cattering assistant for an italian restaurant. Looks like I will have to change over to visitor status. Is this hard? My partner and I reach common law in August so he will sponsor me then. I just worry about not being able to work. Surely this will force people to find cash in hand work?

Thank you for your reply. Worrying times
Old Apr 27th 2014, 1:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shimo1
I work as a cattering assistant for an italian restaurant. Looks like I will have to change over to visitor status. Is this hard? My partner and I reach common law in August so he will sponsor me then. I just worry about not being able to work. Surely this will force people to find cash in hand work?

Thank you for your reply. Worrying times
Make sure you explain to CIC that you are involved in a relationship and will be applying for common law. Use this link for how to apply and apply via the regular mail route

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp

DO NOT WORK under any circumstances especially under the table as if caught you might end up saying good bye to your common law application for PR status.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Make sure you explain to CIC that you are involved in a relationship and will be applying for common law. Use this link for how to apply and apply via the regular mail route

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp

DO NOT WORK under any circumstances especially under the table as if caught you might end up saying good bye to your common law application for PR status.
No I wouldn't want to do that..I couldn't live like that. Thank you for the link
Old Apr 27th 2014, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

That's very unfortunate for anyone in the food and catering service industry and I hope all of you affected get something sorted.

Hopefully for me it will stop there and my LMO will still be processed as a project manager in engineering!
Old Apr 27th 2014, 2:01 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

What happens in more rural areas where they get no interest from Canadians in these jobs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.