Wikiposts

International Experience Canada

Old Jul 12th 2012, 6:01 am
BE Enthusiast

scottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: International Experience Canada

Welcome Claire! Clocks Ticking now to find a job and make use of that lovely permit!
Old Jul 12th 2012, 6:54 am
Just Joined

akwinf is an unknown quantity at this point

Great news - Canada is FINALLY introducing Visa Debit cards (most major banks anyway!). I'm currently with TD Bank and have made an appointment to get mine next week. It has been so frustrating not being able to buy things online.

I'm currently out here on my first IEC visa, which runs out August 25th. I was originally going to go home for a few months and apply in the 2013 cycle, then decided at the last minute (when the count was at something like 118 visas remaining) to apply and got everything sent off while on a visit home. Luckily for me I did, as I have since been offered my dream job as a nanny and would have had to refuse had my visa not come through!

I'm in a bit of a limbo right now, I contacted them after I was passed to CIC to state my intent to have a medical examination as my new job as a nanny requires me to have one. I was told to email some other people in the office with my details, which I did but then my LOI came through last Friday without me being contacted about the exam, which understandably got me very frustrated.
I emailed them again yesterday asking if I could have the exam to change the conditions of my visa and they responded first thing this morning saying my case had been reopened and I should expect the paperwork for my exam to come through in a week or so. Luckily I have a bit of flexibility with my timescale, I'm going to be based in Iceland for the first three months of the job before moving to Toronto in November.

So my timescale thus far:
NOR: 29th May
Payment Request: 18th June
Payment Sent : 27th June
Passed to CIC: 28th June
LOI: 6th July 2012
Application Reopened : June 12th
Old Jul 12th 2012, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

scottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the rough

that is great news akwinf!! I cannot wait to change mine over now haha!
Old Jul 12th 2012, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

roberto_the_besto is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

I am intending to go to Buffalo on Saturday. Does anybody know whether I will have a hard time going to the USA if I have already activated my Canadian IEC Visa? I am going to visit friends for the day.

Has anybody done this before? Surely having the work permit would show that I intend to return to Canada no?

Robert
Old Jul 12th 2012, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by roberto_the_besto
Hello,

I am intending to go to Buffalo on Saturday. Does anybody know whether I will have a hard time going to the USA if I have already activated my Canadian IEC Visa? I am going to visit friends for the day.

Has anybody done this before? Surely having the work permit would show that I intend to return to Canada no?

Robert
Make sure you have your Canadian Visa Waiver, Passport and Work permit, and you should be fine.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

OOOPs I mean American Visa Waiver!
Old Jul 12th 2012, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scottyxx
OOOPs I mean American Visa Waiver!
I don't need the ESTA to enter USA as I am entering by land and not by air etc so I think it is different. That is what I got told.

I don't know what to do
Old Jul 12th 2012, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

You need it, they told me at the border I needed it to be able to enter. Maybe I just got a bad guy but everyone I have known has needed it, if you by bus they might not ask, but it only costs $14 for 10 years, so its completely worth it, rather and be denied entry!
Old Jul 12th 2012, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scottyxx
You need it, they told me at the border I needed it to be able to enter. Maybe I just got a bad guy but everyone I have known has needed it, if you by bus they might not ask, but it only costs $14 for 10 years, so its completely worth it, rather and be denied entry!
Oh so I can apply on-line and then I can enter the USA as many times as I want? I'm so confused. I pay the $14 fee and then I can enter correct?

Do I put my Canadian address down or my UK address? My Canadian address is temporary at the moment, I'm still looking for somewhere to live

"Currently, authorization for travel under the VWP via the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) is not required if arriving at a U.S. land port of entry. VWP travel authorization via ESTA is required if arriving by air or sea under the VWP."

Last edited by roberto_the_besto; Jul 12th 2012 at 5:21 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 6:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I don't need the ESTA to enter USA as I am entering by land and not by air etc so I think it is different. That is what I got told.

I don't know what to do
If arriving by land you apply for the I94 waiver and give them $6 USD. Its valid for 90 days.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

sunshine87 is an unknown quantity at this point

I also arrived to Vancouver yesterday, also beautiful weather here. So excited, just hope I get a good job sorted asap.

Also had no problem at immigration, actually went through really quickly and the guy was more interested in talking about my past 9 months backpacking and didnt even ask for the proof of funds...or stupid insurance I had had to buy to get me past the immigration (as wasnt leaving from the UK the policy wouldnt technically have been valid!)

All good though so happy I am finally here.

Good luck for those of you still waiting!
Old Jul 12th 2012, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

Loui-d is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by UK_Claire
Hey guys!

Arrived in Toronto yesterday!! Loving this weather! I had no problem with immigration, the girl was actually very nice and helpful - only thing is they wouldn't let me in as a visitor then flagpole at a later date but at least I didn't get refused eh!

If anyone is in the Niagara Falls area let me know

Congrats to all who have recently received LOI's
Did they say why they wouldn't let you enter as a visitor? thats my plan for when i go to Vancouver!
Old Jul 12th 2012, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oh so I can apply on-line and then I can enter the USA as many times as I want? I'm so confused. I pay the $14 fee and then I can enter correct?

Do I put my Canadian address down or my UK address? My Canadian address is temporary at the moment, I'm still looking for somewhere to live

"Currently, authorization for travel under the VWP via the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) is not required if arriving at a U.S. land port of entry. VWP travel authorization via ESTA is required if arriving by air or sea under the VWP."
Former lanc is right, you apply online, print it off and thats it. You pay $14 online for the visa, then $6 at the point of entry and your clear.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

UK_Claire is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Loui-d
Did they say why they wouldn't let you enter as a visitor? thats my plan for when i go to Vancouver!
They just said they are not supposed to do it anymore! I thought I'd do the decent thing and be honest, cos I didn't have a return flight, and then got sent through to collect my visa. The girl then said I shouldn't have mentioned the IEC if i didn't want to activate it yet but I figured honesty was the best policy!! Give it a try though, you never know.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 5:09 am
Forum Regular

UK_Claire is an unknown quantity at this point

Guys, what documents do I need to take to the service centre when going for my SIN and drivers license?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.