Wikiposts

International Experience Canada

Old Jun 14th 2012, 3:22 am
Forum Regular

markstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: International Experience Canada

Originally Posted by ryno3
Hey Guys, im kinda new to this forum but wish i had found it sooner as its ace! Ive got my LOI and have my flight booked on the 1st of JULY its sooooo soon and im getting super nervous! im going out to vancouver to live with my girlfriend who lives out there! just wondering if anyone had any stories or advice if you have moved out to be with someone? the only things im worried about are the immigration border guys, they roasted me when i went to visit her for 2 weeks in january of this year and i was only visiting let alone going over for a year?? I plan to stay for the year and if all goes well apply for my 2nd year but at present i only got a single flight but i do have enough funds to prove i can purchase my return flight, is this sufficient? any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks guys, RY
Hey Ry, I moved out to Toronto in October to be with my Canadian girlfriend who I met in England and I'm midway through my first IEC visa, currently at the final stage applying for my second. You have absolutely nothing to worry about - assuming you have got the funds and the insurance for the year, it will be totally fine! They may not even ask to see them (they didn't me with me) but be prepared in case they do! A return flight is not required, since your proof of funds will cover that off. And if they ask why you don't have a return booked, you can simply say you aren't sure of your return date but it will definitely be before your visa expires! You'll almost certainly find that the border guys are really friendly and polite - something Canadians are known for you'll see. It's just a case of showing the officer at the desk your LOI and you will be directed to the immigration section, which is a separate bank of desks. Here they will match your WTN to your LOI and print a visa to staple in your airport. You are then homefree, and you can come and go from Canada as often as you like under the IEC scheme during the year of your visa.

Good luck on your trip and if you have any specific questions or concerns, inbox me and I'm more than happy to help.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 3:26 am
BE Enthusiast

scottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the rough

I can copy and paste the post if anyone needs some info, or I can just keep on repeating, its cool, I have wisdom for once haha!
Old Jun 14th 2012, 3:54 am
Forum Regular

Loui-d is an unknown quantity at this point

I got my payment request through finally!!!!! YES

those still waiting my NOR was the 16th May.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 3:57 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottyxx
If you have a legal work permit, they cannot deny you entry Yay!
Sorry to be pedantic, but yes, they can. Think of a visa/work permit as something that allows you to go and knock on the door of Canada, but which doesn't guarantee that they'll open the door and let you enter.

If a border officer isn't happy that somebody has the required funds, or discovers that they have a criminal record that is a problem, or just thinks they're suspicious, they're perfectly within their rights to deny entry, even with a work permit in hand.

Old Jun 14th 2012, 4:39 am
Just Joined

ryno3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scottyxx
Hi Ry!

Happy to help

If you have a legal work permit, they cannot deny you entry Yay!

If they wanna be dicks about it, the only thing they would do is ask that you have health insurance, and would match up your work permit date to your insurance date.

The only reason they would give you grief before, is because you would be classified as a "marriage risk" ie, basically coming as a visitor marrying a Canadian and sticking around.

I sent you my blog of what I experienced when I came to Canada, if you browse through the section on Canada you will see my experiences with the IEC, and adjusting to life here.

Just make sure you are prepared for the 2nd IEC, and have all the things required well before the opening date, make sure you have proof of residence in the UK to be able to get your police check, and that you have that ready to go.

I am living with a Canadian, once you have lived together for 1 year, you can file for PR - Perminant Residence as the spouse of your canuck lover.

If you need anything, let me know, I can share my stories!
Scotty your an absolute legend!! thanks you so much, i really appreciate your help and you have made me feel loads better about it i hope you dont mind but i will probably pick your brain for your experience cheers man, Ry
Old Jun 14th 2012, 4:43 am
Forum Regular

Jennika is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Loui-d
I got my payment request through finally!!!!! YES

those still waiting my NOR was the 16th May.
Me too!! Sooooo happy
Old Jun 14th 2012, 4:43 am
Just Joined

ryno3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by markstimson
Hey Ry, I moved out to Toronto in October to be with my Canadian girlfriend who I met in England and I'm midway through my first IEC visa, currently at the final stage applying for my second. You have absolutely nothing to worry about - assuming you have got the funds and the insurance for the year, it will be totally fine! They may not even ask to see them (they didn't me with me) but be prepared in case they do! A return flight is not required, since your proof of funds will cover that off. And if they ask why you don't have a return booked, you can simply say you aren't sure of your return date but it will definitely be before your visa expires! You'll almost certainly find that the border guys are really friendly and polite - something Canadians are known for you'll see. It's just a case of showing the officer at the desk your LOI and you will be directed to the immigration section, which is a separate bank of desks. Here they will match your WTN to your LOI and print a visa to staple in your airport. You are then homefree, and you can come and go from Canada as often as you like under the IEC scheme during the year of your visa.

Good luck on your trip and if you have any specific questions or concerns, inbox me and I'm more than happy to help.
Mark i really appreciate your help man, and your wise words have made me feel a lot better. Its the whole 'i know im not doing anything wrong but what if they think i am kinda thing haha' just want to cover all angles as im so excited to get there really appreciate it, cheers. Ry
Old Jun 14th 2012, 4:56 am
BE Enthusiast

scottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Sorry to be pedantic, but yes, they can. Think of a visa/work permit as something that allows you to go and knock on the door of Canada, but which doesn't guarantee that they'll open the door and let you enter.

If a border officer isn't happy that somebody has the required funds, or discovers that they have a criminal record that is a problem, or just thinks they're suspicious, they're perfectly within their rights to deny entry, even with a work permit in hand.

True, but assuming he already did all his checks and everything he would have no outstanding criminal record, or he wouldn't get the work permit. What I mean is that they will not be a a big ? with your intentions to coming into canada, vs coming in as a visitor.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

ggreenwo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone,
Just giving you my timeline:
Sent 11/05/12
Received 15/05/12
Payment Request 12/06/12
Paid and sent receipt of payment plus IMM form 12/06/12
Sent to CIC 14/06/12
LOI - hopefully soon......

Woop woop!
Old Jun 14th 2012, 9:48 am
A taffy in Ontario

snuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant future

Hey guys... I just been reading some of your Posts.. and it would seem that some of you are in a similar position to myself.

I just spent afew months of this year living in Ontario, but had to return to the UK as my Vistor Visa time limit was coming to an end.
Im working back in the UK now & Hoping to apply for a Working holiday visa to return to live with my Canadian girlfriend.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated...

Apologizes in advance if you guys need to repeat anything said

Regards

Daz
Old Jun 14th 2012, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

markstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by snuggs
Hey guys... I just been reading some of your Posts.. and it would seem that some of you are in a similar position to myself.

I just spent afew months of this year living in Ontario, but had to return to the UK as my Vistor Visa time limit was coming to an end.
Im working back in the UK now & Hoping to apply for a Working holiday visa to return to live with my Canadian girlfriend.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated...

Apologizes in advance if you guys need to repeat anything said

Regards

Daz
Heya. Since this year is now closed for applications, you will need to apply for an IEC (International Experience Canada) visa in the 2013 quota. There is only a limited amount (5,350 this year) so my best advice would be to keep checking the UK IEC website for updates from autumn time to check on when the 2013 program opens. I would also highly recommend applying for your UK police certificate around October time so that it's ready for when the program opens, since it is a requirement to have one. This is to demonstrate you don't have a criminal record and I'm assuming you don't! Takes a shortwhile to complete the forms, get a 'professional' type person to sign a form that they know you, and for ACRO to process it.

Aside from passport photos, photocopies of your passport ID page (make sure it's up to date) and a copy of your CV, it's a case of filling in forms which you download from site. Expect the 2013 program to open in Dec or Jan and the earlier you get you application in, the better since demand is going to be high again! All the best!

Last edited by markstimson; Jun 14th 2012 at 10:24 am.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

segaste is an unknown quantity at this point

Just received my LOI! Yes! Now I can start planning. I don't intend to go until next year though. I'm dead happy right now.

Took about six weeks for me. No idea why it took them so long to process the early applicants and so quick to process the later applicants.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by segaste
Just received my LOI! Yes! Now I can start planning. I don't intend to go until next year though. I'm dead happy right now.

Took about six weeks for me. No idea why it took them so long to process the early applicants and so quick to process the later applicants.
Awesome! Congrats!
Old Jun 14th 2012, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

hemlyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Passed to CIC last night.

My timeline so far is:

17th April - Application delivered
4th May - Application returned as barcodes couldn't be scanned. Reprinted and re-sent same day
8th May - Application received
15th May - NOR
8th June - Payment request and payment made
14th June - Passed to CIC
Old Jun 14th 2012, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

age26 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is anyone who was passed to CIC on or around 31st may/1st June still waiting for LOI?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.