Flybalaton

Old Aug 31st 2012, 9:31 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flybalaton

Originally Posted by tonydilihaz
My dad used to have a timeshare in Calpe, Spain. Presently my son lives in Mallorca, married to a Mallorcan girl with 3 grandsons. My wife & I visit 3 or 4 times a year and occupy villas on the same complex as his; most are owned by Brits. All of them have a big house file showing where to go, what shops speak English, good restaurants etc. I see no reason why if we ever did what I (and perhaps others before me) suggested, we could not give each holidaymaker a similar pack. Also a Balaton Brits reps rota would ensure any requests for help would be furnished.

Most holidaymakers want the sun, sea (or Balaton), decent not too adventurous food and some cheapish booze. The market would be for families on perhaps 1/2 board (felpanzio?), not boozy groups of youngsters; leave them to the stag/hens in Budapest and Prague.

If this developed, not only would there be flights to Balaton, but Brits buying properties. My son calls himself "The British Plumber", only works within 5 miles of Cala d'Or and has 600 CUSTOMERS! All brits with holiday homes. there's a lesson for us all.
Something similar has been suggested before but it always came down to investment, or lack of. It's difficult enough convincing people to sign an online petition - to part with cash???
It might be worth you seeing if you could arrange a meeting with the mayor of Heviz as a starting point to find out what their 2013 marketing plans are regards UK tourists. Maybe they are already in negotiations with one of the budget airlines.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

tonydilihaz is an unknown quantity at this point

in my opinion, to get any kind of government organisation involved is the kiss of death, wrong mindset.

in terms of investment, i've no idea, it depends on how many guarantees each organisation (airline, hotels, tour buses, ATOL agent) want. if little or no, the actual money up front may only be a few thousand..between 15-20 people, very little. most are interested in an investment that can produce a return (and even better, one that they can participate in). who knows? try a poll.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 1:26 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonydilihaz
in my opinion, to get any kind of government organisation involved is the kiss of death, wrong mindset.

in terms of investment, i've no idea, it depends on how many guarantees each organisation (airline, hotels, tour buses, ATOL agent) want. if little or no, the actual money up front may only be a few thousand..between 15-20 people, very little. most are interested in an investment that can produce a return (and even better, one that they can participate in). who knows? try a poll.
Perhaps if you made a list of what would be involved and a breakdown of funding required - brochures, promotion, guarantees etc Then a plan of how it would come to fruition, people might be willing to assist.
As mentioned before, I think somebody did try previously and it ended up with the only option being a private charter plane which would cost tens of thousands of investment up front.
Support for any flights from the UK to Balaton is definitely there but I think more assistance would be forthcoming if some research is done into the likelihood of an agent committing to charter flights
Old Aug 31st 2012, 2:05 pm
Goo
Just Joined

Goo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys,
I totally understand the frustration and where 'tonydilihaz' is coming from but at this point, I am gonna have to agree with Rural as what tony is suggesting, to an extent, was explored previously with no success.
Also I don't see why involving Heviz authority is a "Kiss of Death!" After all the way things work in Hungary is as we all know differs from UK and to have the Heviz Mayor on board could be an important move.
In my opinion the main reason the local authority has not made a, what we could say, a significant effort to resolve the UK to Sarmellek situation is partially due to an attitude of "not my job, I am not getting paid enough" "perhaps a resentment to foreigners, after all we all came in and priced the locals out of market for buying houses" "or it could be the fact that they feel we have enough money coming in with the massive influx of Russians coming in?"
Over the years I have heard all of the above from a very large group of my Hungarian friends and neighbours.

That is not to say we should quit trying... But we also have to be realistic in what we can achieve without political support and financial backing.
I used to think all we have to do is show an flight operator what a lucrative route UK to Sarmellek is and hey-presto any business savy person would see the potential and go for it. But one of the major reasons why Ryanair has stopped flying to Balaton was because of the local government paying games. I still hope that something can be done to improve the situation for the region and the locals as we all know that no matter what we will make our way to Balaton, from Budapes or Vienna or Bratislava etc etc...

Any thoughts on this...

Best Regards,
Goo
Old Feb 11th 2013, 2:58 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Still not ideal but thought this might help some of you.

From May 5th, Airbaltic will commence flights from Riga to Balaton, as most UK airports fly to Riga, it might be a feasible option. A cursory glance shows return flights, in May, to Riga for around £80 and Riga to Balaton, 110 euro (this is from London).
Granted, it's a bit more expensive than a cheap flight, booked in advance, to Budapest but just the thought of being able to land at "our" airport again, makes it appealing enough to put up with the hassle of a connecting flight.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 7:03 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Wasn't sure whether to mention this as it's third party info though the source is well informed.
Apparently, talks have been entered into with a major airline - not Ryanair or Wizzair - to permanently base four planes at Heviz-Balaton airport. In October, the first "full year" figures will be presented to the airline and if acceptable, an announcement should be made later in the year.
The flights are expected to be to the UK and other European destinations.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

klarika will become famous soon enoughklarika will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Wasn't sure whether to mention this as it's third party info though the source is well informed.
Apparently, talks have been entered into with a major airline - not Ryanair or Wizzair - to permanently base four planes at Heviz-Balaton airport. In October, the first "full year" figures will be presented to the airline and if acceptable, an announcement should be made later in the year.
That sounds promising
Old Jul 11th 2013, 8:07 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

I hope so, I heard from someone who has links with the Heviz municipality and so have no reason to disbelieve him, just hope the figures are as expected though I don't see why not as the Russian flights came in over the winter and the Airbaltic ones seem to be busy.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

kohoutek is an unknown quantity at this point

Fingers Crossed

Make life more easier

Michael/Julie
Old Jul 11th 2013, 10:54 pm
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

That would be great - not only for our convenience - but also to open up the area to more income from tourists. Everything crossed!
Old Jul 12th 2013, 7:37 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by John Gilbert
That would be great - not only for our convenience - but also to open up the area to more income from tourists. Everything crossed!
Exactly John. Since Heviz took over the running of the airport, it is definetley seeing increased traffic and the mayor is extremley pro active in establishing new routes - the local news regularly reports his jaunts abroad to promote the area
Tenderhooks till October now
Old Jul 12th 2013, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

Les and Jenn will become famous soon enoughLes and Jenn will become famous soon enough

Oh my word !!! At last someone who may understand that flights to the UK and back are essential to tourism in the area. Can we not lobby him to look into this? If you give me details I will certainly get in touch.:fingerscros sed:

Exactly John. Since Heviz took over the running of the airport, it is definetley seeing increased traffic and the mayor is extremley pro active in establishing new routes - the local news regularly reports his jaunts abroad to promote the area
Tenderhooks till October now
Old Jul 12th 2013, 12:09 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

I don't think the Brits are seen as essential to tourism as one of the points made by Ryanair was that Brits tended to have holiday homes here and self catered thus, not contributing to the local economy as much as say the Russians. Evidence of this is all over Heviz in that signs now tend to be in Russian, German and Hungarian - few in English despite there having been flights from the UK for several years. However, with proper promotion of the West of Hungary as a holiday destination, this could change.

Don't think there is an point in lobby anybody as talks have apparently been ongoing for a while and it's now down to passenger numbers and profitability reports.
As before, this is third party info but I thought worth mentioning
Old Jul 12th 2013, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Les and Jenn
Oh my word !!! At last someone who may understand that flights to the UK and back are essential to tourism in the area. Can we not lobby him to look into this? If you give me details I will certainly get in touch.:fingerscros sed:
If you were going to somewhere like Balatonkenese, on the east end of the lake you are nearer to Budapest airport than Flybalaton. Is that area already more popular for UK and other flying tourists? I think if I had ever gone to Balaton for a holiday from UK I would not have wanted to go again.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by fidobsa
If you were going to somewhere like Balatonkenese, on the east end of the lake you are nearer to Budapest airport than Flybalaton. Is that area already more popular for UK and other flying tourists? I think if I had ever gone to Balaton for a holiday from UK I would not have wanted to go again.
I go to Balatonkenese quite regularly and I have yet to bump into a Brit...around Siófok maybe, but not there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.