Flybalaton

Old Mar 10th 2010, 11:25 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Flybalaton

Hi all, I thought it might be an idea to start a thread for posting information and updates on the Flybalaton airport.

As of April the 10th, the airport will reopen with Lufthansa and Hamburg International flying to Germany and later in the year, Danube Wings commence flights to Basel.

The last I heard regarding flights to the UK was that members of the Balaton Brits club were in talks with Oxford aiport regarding the possibility of charter flights to and from Balaton.
Hopefully these talks will be successful and perhaps someone will update the thread when more information is available.

Even better, would be news that one of the budget airlines were to fly to Balaton, we live in hope
Old Mar 15th 2010, 9:47 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flybalaton

Along with myself, many of the expats I have spoken to, have pinned their hopes of a budget airline returning to Sarmellek on the opening of Balatonring.

With the recent announcement that the Hungarian Development Bank has refused funding for Balatonring and thus private funding now has to be sought, consequently ruling out the opening of the track for the foreseeable future, if at all: it is sad news indeed for South West Balaton.
Further, wasn't it excellent timing that the withdrawal of funding was announced just one week after SCD signed the lease for Flybalaton!

Last edited by Rural Hungary; Mar 15th 2010 at 9:51 am.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 5:08 pm
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Along with myself, many of the expats I have spoken to, have pinned their hopes of a budget airline returning to Sarmellek on the opening of Balatonring.

With the recent announcement that the Hungarian Development Bank has refused funding for Balatonring and thus private funding now has to be sought, consequently ruling out the opening of the track for the foreseeable future, if at all: it is sad news indeed for South West Balaton.
Further, wasn't it excellent timing that the withdrawal of funding was announced just one week after SCD signed the lease for Flybalaton!
The behavior on this airport (& other infrastructure projects) is so depressing. The Magyars & the Irish from Ryan Air are all too alike. No promotion of The Balaton in Britain by the Hungarian Tourist authorities led to flights two thirds full & little profit. Red tape expansion at Fly Balaton was visibly ridiculous & in the main there was only Ryan Air to pay for it. The man from Ryan Air is clearly a bully so it was bound to end in tears.

One day maybe all will be ok but in the meantime the local businesses suffer as first time tourists from the UK stay away.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

Les and Jenn will become famous soon enoughLes and Jenn will become famous soon enough

Hi all, I thought it might be an idea to start a thread for posting information and updates on the Flybalaton airport.

As of April the 10th, the airport will reopen with Lufthansa and Hamburg International flying to Germany and later in the year, Danube Wings commence flights to Basel.

The last I heard regarding flights to the UK was that members of the Balaton Brits club were in talks with Oxford aiport regarding the possibility of charter flights to and from Balaton.
Hopefully these talks will be successful and perhaps someone will update the thread when more information is available.

Even better, would be news that one of the budget airlines were to fly to Balaton, we live in hope
WE LIVE IN HOPE
Old Mar 26th 2010, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

Les and Jenn will become famous soon enoughLes and Jenn will become famous soon enough

Dear All Balaton Brits - just a quick bit of information - I emailed SCD Group the Company who have bought FlyBalaton and they have sent back a very positive email and look to be in talks with Ryanair (not my favourite low cost airline I must say) it may be helpful if you all emailed them at scdgroup at scdgroup dot hu to show the strength of feeling among us about a UK route being opened up - its worth a try !!! Hopeful that you will email Regards Les and Jenn (will be in Zalavar at Easter presume no meet up at that time - when is your next meet)

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Mar 27th 2010 at 9:56 am.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 1:07 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Oh my goodness, I am shaking as I read this LOL
Seriously though, it would be wonderful if one of the budget airlines came on board. I was led to believe that the withdrawal of Ryanair was partially due to personal issues between the Irish partner of Cape Aviation and Michael O'Leary, whether this is true or not, I do not know but if so perhaps SCD can establish a better relationship with them.

Thanks for the info and will definitely send them an email. Hate to sound like a mod (no offence mods) but perhaps you should make the email spambot safe, just edit your post to something like scdgroup at scdgroup dot hu otherwise they will be inundated with junk mail.

Next meet is provisionally scheduled for the 16th of April at Piki restaurant. Also, there is one the other side of Keszthely but I think it is the third Tuesday or Thursday of each month.
Thanks again for the info :-)
Old Mar 26th 2010, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

Oh my goodness, I am shaking as I read this LOL
Seriously though, it would be wonderful if one of the budget airlines came on board. I was led to believe that the withdrawal of Ryanair was partially due to personal issues between the Irish partner of Cape Aviation and Michael O'Leary, whether this is true or not, I do not know but if so perhaps SCD can establish a better relationship with them.

Thanks for the info and will definitely send them an email. Hate to sound like a mod (no offence mods) but perhaps you should make the email spambot safe, just edit your post to something like scdgroup at scdgroup dot hu otherwise they will be inundated with junk mail.

Next meet is provisionally scheduled for the 16th of April at Piki restaurant. Also, there is one the other side of Keszthely but I think it is the third Tuesday or Thursday of each month.
Thanks again for the info :-)
would do if i could figure out how to edit my message - bit of a dimwit with computers
Old Mar 27th 2010, 4:28 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Hi Les and Jenn, don't worry, it's probably because a post has been made after yours. If there is a problem with it I'm sure a mod will be along to help.
I read a news report, will try and find a link to it later, stating that SCD are, as you said, in talks with an airline which will fly from London but not until 2011.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 5:01 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Les and Jenn, don't worry, it's probably because a post has been made after yours. If there is a problem with it I'm sure a mod will be along to help.
I read a news report, will try and find a link to it later, stating that SCD are, as you said, in talks with an airline which will fly from London but not until 2011.
I did it this morning!
Old Apr 8th 2010, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Flybalaton

Thanks for changing my post.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 8:50 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

To date, no reply from SCD. Disheartening news to hear the recent announcement from Ryanair, apparently they will not return to Balaton due to outstanding debts owed by the now bankrupt Cape Aviation. Maybe SCD should consider contacting Wizzair or Jet2 if they haven't already done so.
They appear to be clearing the land at the airport, around the empty barracks which are a real eyesore! I took some pictures which I will try and post over weekend. Rumour was that the land will also be leased to SCD who plan to build some sort of holiday complex
Old Apr 13th 2010, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

Thumbs down Re: Flybalaton

Bad news re Ryanair - where did you get that from ? Yes they do appear to be clearing the area and if you look on their website they have quite a few holiday villages around the Balaton area so could be a possibility. We need to get a low cost airline interested will do a bit of emailing myself. Thanks for keeping us posted even if its not great news
Old Apr 14th 2010, 11:49 am
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Les and Jenn
Bad news re Ryanair - where did you get that from ? Yes they do appear to be clearing the area and if you look on their website they have quite a few holiday villages around the Balaton area so could be a possibility. We need to get a low cost airline interested will do a bit of emailing myself. Thanks for keeping us posted even if its not great news
We can only hope - the new owners talk of building to 300,000 passengers a year & if they can get an operator to fly to the uk I am sure they will
Old Apr 30th 2010, 4:58 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Hi Les & Jenn, sorry for not replying sooner.

The comment was made during an announcement on why Ryanair was considering pulling out of Budapest airport. As of today, having been unsuccessful in negotiating a decrease in airport fees, Ryanair will pull out of Hungary in October.
Worse news was a report I read this week , apparently, Wizzair have stated they are not interested in Flybalaton due to its location: i.e too far from Budapest. (I had my money on Wizzair )
Further, there was a recent report that Lufthansa are threatening to pull out unless money is invested in promoting Balaton within Germany hmm

John, I still live in hope! Granted it's getting slimmer by the day, wish I could say the same for myself
Old May 2nd 2010, 11:11 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Pasted copy of post from Richardmc :

Latest news is Ryanair is pulling out of Budapest airport end October this year due to rising costs @ the Airport. Ryanair wanted to increase their flights quite dramatically but Budapest will not agree better airport charges. This is bad news for all Brits who travel to Lake Balaton. In my experience after all the talk of how they rip us off with additions to the basic price such as "on-line check in £10 etc etc they are by far still the cheapest carrier from Bristol airport ( we live in Devon). We will have to rethink on how to get there, I believe you can fly to Graz? any suggestions please.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.