Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Would you fly the Canadian flag...?

Would you fly the Canadian flag...?

Old Jan 29th 2009, 1:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you fly the Canadian flag...?

Originally Posted by dboy
attempted to negotiate with him - he then told me to f--k off .... which I did and had to stop my mother hitting him with her brolly...
He actually thought the St George Cross was simply the insigna of the England football team. Apparently my mother and I were a menacing duo.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 1:54 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
I know it's a serious subject, but just for a second I'd like to say that if a Canadian can't get it right, then how can we.
Google?
Old Jan 29th 2009, 1:55 am
hwp
BE Enthusiast

hwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to behold

I know it's a serious subject, but just for a second I'd like to say that if a Canadian can't get it right, then how can we.
I'm blonde.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 2:03 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

But if anyone had argued the point and the law had got involved, you can bet the bouncer wouldn't be told to let them in. It's private property and the landlord has the right to refuse entry. They'll use any excuse.
of course, still does not make it right though, i was that law and this kind of thing grates with me as invariably we would get blamed for endorsing the bouncer, when unfortunately remaining neutral simply could be nothing more than to stop it kicking off. why folk thought the cops could get them into places when the doorstaff said no was always beyond me.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 2:06 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Google?
It wasn't a subject I'd thought of Googling before now. I have bookmarked this site and a couple of others I've just found on Google for research.

History is written by the victors, to the detriment of the losing side.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 2:09 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
of course, still does not make it right though, i was that law and this kind of thing grates with me as invariably we would get blamed for endorsing the bouncer, when unfortunately remaining neutral simply could be nothing more than to stop it kicking off. why folk thought the cops could get them into places when the doorstaff said no was always beyond me.
I very much appreciate the positions you guys are sometimes put in. Unfortunately, we'll never change the perception of the England flag as football colours.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 2:52 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jericho
"footie gear" is banned in most decent drinking establishments in Manchester, and I daresay other major cities too. Them's the rules. Just because you're from Canada, you dont get special treatment.

Oh, and the t-shirt IS a football t-shirt, like it or not.
Well. I guess you really missed the point did n't you - and it was meant to be funny. The point was - be prepared to take notes - is that he had no idea what the St George's Cross was.

How would a tourist know that was football gear - and what about him explaining, conceding the rule is silly, apologizing, making a joke of it, and going out of his way to make me want to go back? No he acted like a stereotypical bouncer and threatened and swore despite my 70 year old mother being with me.

I knew there was a reason why i left the UK. Nothing, nothing even remotely like this as happened in the 20 years that I left the UK.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 2:58 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dboy
The point was - be prepared to take notes - is that he had no idea what the St George's Cross was.

How would a tourist know that was football gear - and what about him explaining, conceding the rule is silly, apologizing, making a joke of it, and going out of his way to make me want to go back? No he acted like a stereotypical bouncer and threatened and swore despite my 70 year old mother being with me.
It's NOT footy gear, it's a national flag. Even if it was, the bouncer is only enforcing the rule of the place he was working at, though he went about it wrong if he threatened and swore.

It would be like me assuming the Ontario Provincial flag is associated with Toronto FC, or the BC flag being the emblem of the Vancouver Canucks.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 3:08 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

It's NOT footy gear, it's a national flag. Even if it was, the bouncer is only enforcing the rule of the place he was working at, though he went about it wrong if he threatened and swore.

It would be like me assuming the Ontario Provincial flag is associated with Toronto FC, or the BC flag being the emblem of the Vancouver Canucks.
Precisely my point. I don't eve like football!!
Old Jan 30th 2009, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

Pvt Chuff is an unknown quantity at this point

i am pvt chuff's canuck spouse. i just wanted to stick my nose in and throw out an opinion or two. i have lived in the uk for nine years and have been to ireland , scotland and wales. we had a flagpole in our back garden that i got from work. we flew the maple leaf on july 1 and airshow day. i liked the fact i was different more than a sense of patriotism. plus getting great shots of the red arrows in formation with the canadian flag in the frame...bonus.

a. the genocide question: most canadians don't know about all the history behind the union jack. the english themselves were and are guilty of every crime against humanity before they even left their cozy little backwater island and spread the cheer to the rest of the planet. starting with the crusades, peaking with the slavery and still going strong in the gulf...great record. i'm sure the scots and irish don't feel much like flying the jack. as for the welsh, i've noticed nobody seems to care, even though they have the coolest flag.

b. flying the flag: ok from a pole....not ok from your porch(smacks of 911 fever) however it is ok to have a canadian flag sewn on your jean jacket or knapsack...millions of non-canadian foreign travellers will attest to this.

don't forget that too much patriotism and/or national pride is not a good thing when you live on such a crowded planet. sociology guy will get this one.

c. proud to be canadian: being that most canadians are immigrants, children of immigrants or grandchildren of immigrants means that the only people that have a right to be proud of being canadian are the natives.(apologies to all the first nations for the misnomer) the rest of us can be proud that we or someone in our past had the brains and balls to get over here and have a go.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 11:51 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

If I were to put any flags up, I'd have to have the Union Jack, the Welsh dragon, and the Canadian Maple Leaf.

Did you know that the Welsh flag is the only UK flag not represented on the Union Jack.
Wales had no explicit recognition in the Union Flag because Wales, having been annexed by Edward I of England in 1282 and following the Laws in Wales Acts 1535–1542, was legally part of the Kingdom of England and was therefore represented by the flag of England.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 12:20 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Tangram
Wales had no explicit recognition in the Union Flag because Wales, having been annexed by Edward I of England in 1282 and following the Laws in Wales Acts 1535–1542, was legally part of the Kingdom of England and was therefore represented by the flag of England.
Correct. Though I believe that it should be corrected, the Union Jack won't be altered to accommodate a Welsh idenity as the UJ is so well-known around the world.

A proposed version is below, but there is another proposal that I think looks slightly better using a black and yellow for Wales, but I can't find the pic I was looking for.
Attached Thumbnails Would you fly the Canadian flag...?-union-jack-wales-dragon.jpg  

Last edited by DaveLovesDee; Jan 31st 2009 at 12:22 am.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 12:24 am
Account Closed

Found it. I like this one a little more.
Attached Thumbnails Would you fly the Canadian flag...?-union-jack-wales-1.jpg  
Old Jan 31st 2009, 1:37 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Found it. I like this one a little more.
That's kinda groovy.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 2:16 am
River

River is an unknown quantity at this point

c. proud to be canadian: being that most canadians are immigrants, children of immigrants or grandchildren of immigrants means that the only people that have a right to be proud of being canadian are the natives.(apologies to all the first nations for the misnomer) the rest of us can be proud that we or someone in our past had the brains and balls to get over here and have a go.

Well said

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.