Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Would you fly the Canadian flag...?

Would you fly the Canadian flag...?

Old Jan 29th 2009, 12:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you fly the Canadian flag...?

We used to fly a UK flag in the netherlands, and once we had dutch nationality we'd fly that one as well, but we only flew them on nationally important days, or when celebrating things you traditionally hang out a flag for in holland (like passing high school)

edited to add: yes i would once i had citizenship.

Last edited by Caitilin; Jan 29th 2009 at 2:03 am. Reason: to add to it
Old Jan 29th 2009, 1:00 am
hwp
BE Enthusiast

hwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to behold

I'm Canadian and I would not fly the Canadian flag.

I feel fortunate to have been born and raised here but I'm much too aware of the very negative aspects of Canada's history and policies to feel any sort of pride on a federal, or national, level. To some people I know, the maple leaf is a symbol of oppression and genocide and I can not disagree with them.

Cheery, eh?
Old Jan 29th 2009, 1:05 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
I recall I was in the UK a few years ago and my mother gave me a blue t shirt with a small St George's Cross over the heart and the words England underneath. Being the obliging son I am i quickly donned it had headed out to a bar\restaurant in Manchester - just my dear old mother and I.

I was told by the bouncer that: "you are not coming here with that on" That, he said, is footie gear" I quickly pointed out that it was a blue T shirt with .... (well you know the rest). I told him that i was visiting from Canada and was only there for a bite and attempted to negotiate with him - he then told me to f--k off .... which I did and had to stop my mother hitting him with her brolly.

I bet he does n't fly a flag at home. He actually thought the St George Cross was simply the insigna of the England football team. Apparently my mother and I were a menacing duo.

ahhh tales of jolly old blighty, it makes me miss it so. i timely reminder for me with my current perspective, thank you.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 1:07 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hwp
To some people I know, the maple leaf is a symbol of oppression and genocide and I can not disagree with them.

Cheery, eh?
Are your friends First Nations by any chance?
Old Jan 29th 2009, 1:07 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hwp
I'm Canadian and I would not fly the Canadian flag.

I feel fortunate to have been born and raised here but I'm much too aware of the very negative aspects of Canada's history and policies to feel any sort of pride on a federal, or national, level. To some people I know, the maple leaf is a symbol of oppression and genocide and I can not disagree with them.

Cheery, eh?
Fair enough, but that's (mostly) associated with the Red Ensign, rather than the Maple Leaf, shirley?
Old Jan 29th 2009, 1:10 am
hwp
BE Enthusiast

hwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
Are your friends First Nations by any chance?

It doesn't matter.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 1:11 am
hwp
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Fair enough, but that's (mostly) associated with the Red Ensign, rather than the Maple Leaf, shirley?
It's the feds, man, whatever their flag.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 1:12 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dboy
I recall I was in the UK a few years ago and my mother gave me a blue t shirt with a small St George's Cross over the heart and the words England underneath. Being the obliging son I am i quickly donned it had headed out to a bar\restaurant in Manchester - just my dear old mother and I.

I was told by the bouncer that: "you are not coming here with that on" That, he said, is footie gear" I quickly pointed out that it was a blue T shirt with .... (well you know the rest). I told him that i was visiting from Canada and was only there for a bite and attempted to negotiate with him - he then told me to f--k off .... which I did and had to stop my mother hitting him with her brolly.
"footie gear" is banned in most decent drinking establishments in Manchester, and I daresay other major cities too. Them's the rules. Just because you're from Canada, you dont get special treatment.

Oh, and the t-shirt IS a football t-shirt, like it or not.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 1:12 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hwp
It's the feds, man, whatever their flag.
Yo' sister.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 1:14 am
hwp
BE Enthusiast

Yo' sister.
Keep up Novo, it's sistah.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 1:16 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by hwp
Keep up Novo, it's sistah.
So sorry. I'll update my software immediately.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 1:16 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hwp
It doesn't matter.
It does. How many races has Canada decimated since Confederation?

To Jericho. The t-shirt is a representation of England as a nationality, not a footy t-shirt. The 3 Lions is the England footy team logo, it's just that some people don't learn the difference.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 1:18 am
Born again atheist

It does. How many races has Canada decimated since Confederation?
Several. Or did you mean since 1964?
Old Jan 29th 2009, 1:21 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

To Jericho. The t-shirt is a representation of England as a nationality, not a footy t-shirt. The 3 Lions is the England footy team logo, it's just that some people don't learn the difference.
Of course it's a football shirt. Since when have you been able to buy a t-shirt, emblazened with ENGLAND and the St George cross, and it not be affiliated with the England football team?
Old Jan 29th 2009, 1:21 am
hwp
BE Enthusiast

Several. Or did you mean since 1964?

7 (again).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.