Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Would you fly the Canadian flag...?

Would you fly the Canadian flag...?

Old Jan 28th 2009, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Would you fly the Canadian flag...?

Originally Posted by iaink
I was born British...didnt have any choice in it. I am still proud of much of the UK, its history and place in the world. BUT, chose to become a Canadian citizen, this country has welcomed me, and I am proud of its standing in the world as a benevolent democracy too, and I am proud of my association with it too. My kids are Canadian born (but naturally British too), my wife is Canadian, so it makes sense to me to identify with both nations.

Also, as you probably know, at school here Oh Canada is a daily feature. Having the Union Flag flying at home beside the Maple Leaf is a token gesture on my part to remind the kids of the roots of the family and their connection to the UK too I guess.
Iain,,,,,very well put.....there are some people on this board who have nothing good to say about Canada...in fact they can be quite caustic in their comments. I'm from the UK and my wife is Canadian....my first inclination would be a Cdn flag and then if there was room I'd have the Union Jack. It is possible to be proud of both one's original place of residence and also the chosen place of residence. At times, those who constantly harp about Canada should get a dose of reality and head back to chavtastic britain.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
Being from Northern Ireland flying of flags was never a good idea mind you now I'm officially Canadian maybe I'll put up a Maple Leaf on July 12th just to confuse matters
Oh I hear you ... I thought about picking up a flag to bring back when I was over there in August, but ole Norn Irish paranoia came flooding back .. oooo, if I put up a red hand or a tricolour, somebody somewhere will be offended ....
Old Jan 28th 2009, 8:38 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by triumphguy

I've seen more Union Jacks flying here than I ever saw in England.
That's cos it hasn't been usurped here. Its very sad to me that a minority of extremists in the UK have managed to bully their way to taking ownership of the flag.

If everyone there who was proud of the country had flown the thing in the first place, as they do here with the maple leaf, then it would never have been possible for the right to take it as their own, they would have just looked ridiculous for even trying

Last edited by iaink; Jan 28th 2009 at 8:43 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 8:39 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

If I were to put any flags up, I'd have to have the Union Jack, the Welsh dragon, and the Canadian Maple Leaf.

Did you know that the Welsh flag is the only UK flag not represented on the Union Jack.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
That's cos it hasn't been usurped here. Its very sad to me that a minority of extremists in the UK have managed to bully their way to taking ownership of the flag.

If everyone there who was proud of the country had flown the thing in the first place, as they do here with the maple leaf, then it would never have been possible for the right to take it as there own, they would have just looked ridiculous for even trying
Unfortunately in NI flag-flying has been used fo years to make a political point ....
Old Jan 28th 2009, 8:43 pm
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light

Definitely!! Along with the St Georges cross, if your not willing to show some pride and enthusiasm for your country of birth and more importantly the country you have chosen to live for a better life why are you living here?
Old Jan 28th 2009, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
If I were to put any flags up, I'd have to have the Union Jack, the Welsh dragon, and the Canadian Maple Leaf.

Did you know that the Welsh flag is the only UK flag not represented on the Union Jack.
Norn Iron ain't on there either!
Old Jan 28th 2009, 9:22 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I would not. Firstly, it's not my country and not my flag. Secondly, the routine flying of flags strikes me as being rather silly, especially if it's the flag of the country where the flag is flying. If the kids wanted to fly a Canadian flag I wouldn't fight them over it but they choose to fly their national flag on their national day and none the rest of the year.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, however I agree and applaud Iain's post on this topic.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 9:23 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

The house we live in has white siding. When we bought it in 1993 it came with a Canadian flag (gratis) flying from the porch. Although we'd lived in Canada previously, we though it better to leave it up in case the locals would think us a bit dodgy if we threw it out.

I took it down as soon as I learned that in fact the neighbours had jokingly been calling the place "The Canadian White House" for some time and that they thought that the previous (Canadian born and bred) owners were a couple of right tits.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrishB
I thought the red diagonal stripes were from the St Patrick cross as an all of Ireland symbol?

Last edited by jimf; Jan 28th 2009 at 9:29 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 28th 2009, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaptainHook

I was wondering where that dragon was hiding boyo!
Old Jan 28th 2009, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
The house we live in has white siding. When we bought it in 1993 it came with a Canadian flag (gratis) flying from the porch. Although we'd lived in Canada previously, we though it better to leave it up in case the locals would think us a bit dodgy if we threw it out.

I took it down as soon as I learned that in fact the neighbours had jokingly been calling the place "The Canadian White House" for some time and that they thought that the previous (Canadian born and bred) owners were a couple of right tits.
Not a right one and a left one?
Old Jan 28th 2009, 10:05 pm
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't hang any country flag outside my house or display it anywhere else................that sort of thing is way too Yank for my liking
Old Jan 28th 2009, 10:15 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

My two are hanging in my garage.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 10:23 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrishB
Blimey.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.