British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Would you fly the Canadian flag...? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/would-you-fly-canadian-flag-587697/)

Caimas Jan 28th 2009 5:51 pm

Would you fly the Canadian flag...?

The reason for asking, is my cousin has allowed her children to erect two either side of their new house. The family are English, having moved to Ontario in 2003 and have developed a very patriotic attitude towards their adopted country: Is my cousin unusual?

As we have only flew a St. George's cross as a token gesture, (either on the day itself or from the car during the world cup), I wondered how patriotic migrants felt about Canada? When we visited Ontario in 2007 we were pleasantly surprised with the number of residential homes flying the flag and pride felt by Canadians in general.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

:)

G77 Jan 28th 2009 5:53 pm

Re: Would you fly the Canadian flag...?

Depends on your local bylaws - I think it may be illegal in some parts :blink:

dbd33 Jan 28th 2009 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by Caimas (Post 7222498)
The reason for asking, is my cousin has allowed her children to erect two either side of their new house. The family are English, having moved to Ontario in 2003 and have developed a very patriotic attitude towards their adopted country: Is my cousin unusual?

As we have only flew a St. George's cross as a token gesture, (either on the day itself or from the car during the world cup), I wondered how patriotic migrants felt about Canada? When we visited Ontario in 2007 we were pleasantly surprised with the number of residential homes flying the flag and pride felt by Canadians in general.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

:)

I would not. Firstly, it's not my country and not my flag. Secondly, the routine flying of flags strikes me as being rather silly, especially if it's the flag of the country where the flag is flying. If the kids wanted to fly a Canadian flag I wouldn't fight them over it but they choose to fly their national flag on their national day and none the rest of the year.

iaink Jan 28th 2009 6:03 pm

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...09005Large.jpg

Does that answer your question. Doesnt do any harm to show a bit of pride, if you have any left.

macadian Jan 28th 2009 6:04 pm

http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/k...adian/flag.jpgYes...and I do...:cool:

Caimas Jan 28th 2009 6:20 pm

Wow! At least there is some colour amongst all that snow. I have to say, as much as I love being English, I can't say I feel that patriotic. The flag from the car was to humour the kids. I feel quite sad that I feel this way and slightly envious of those that do!

They look bloody great! :thumbsup:

jericho Jan 28th 2009 6:40 pm

Each to their own I guess, but seems a bit odd to me to fly the flag of another country.
I could see why the kids would want to do it, but adults?:confused:

iaink Jan 28th 2009 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by jericho (Post 7222710)
Each to their own I guess, but seems a bit odd to me to fly the flag of another country.
I could see why the kids would want to do it, but adults?:confused:

I was born British...didnt have any choice in it. I am still proud of much of the UK, its history and place in the world. BUT, chose to become a Canadian citizen, this country has welcomed me, and I am proud of its standing in the world as a benevolent democracy too, and I am proud of my association with it too. My kids are Canadian born (but naturally British too), my wife is Canadian, so it makes sense to me to identify with both nations.

Also, as you probably know, at school here Oh Canada is a daily feature. Having the Union Flag flying at home beside the Maple Leaf is a token gesture on my part to remind the kids of the roots of the family and their connection to the UK too I guess.

Also makes it easy to give directions...its the house with the Union Jack...:)

Elaine B. Jan 28th 2009 7:04 pm

Being from Northern Ireland flying of flags was never a good idea mind you now I'm officially Canadian maybe I'll put up a Maple Leaf on July 12th just to confuse matters;)

MrGreen Jan 28th 2009 7:12 pm

I've never felt the need, but I find seeing the canadian flag flying outside a home here totally inoffensive and I actually quite like seeing it. It's nice to be in a country where people can be proud to fly their flag without any sinister connotations or undertones. I just find seeing the cross or union jack flying outside a house back in england stirs up totally different feelings for me...mainly because of the type of people I've seen do this back home. I could never imagine a new immigrant family in the UK flying (or wanting to fly) a union jack from the front of their house, whereas I've seen people of all races here fly the candian flag in a show of how much they love living in their newly adopted country, which is nice to see.

dinger24 Jan 28th 2009 7:30 pm

This reminds me of when I first visited Canada with the British army - we had been told under no circumstances were we to run out side of the camp wearing union jack shorts as the locals would find it offensive and complain about defacing the Union Jack:eek:

macadian Jan 28th 2009 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 7222760)
I was born British...didnt have any choice in it. I am still proud of much of the UK, its history and place in the world. BUT, chose to become a Canadian citizen, this country has welcomed me, and I am proud of its standing in the world as a benevolent democracy too, and I am proud of my association with it too.:)

Could not have put it better....:thumbsup:

Paul Wildy Jan 28th 2009 8:13 pm

I fly a Canadian flag. I usually put it up on Canada day and then take it down in the fall when we stat getting high winds.

Maybe thats odd, I dunno. I dont think so really, I do live in Canada after all. I think in a way it would be more odd to have a British flag up here (though that seems fine to me if you are flying both).

JonboyE Jan 28th 2009 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by macadian (Post 7222919)
Could not have put it better....:thumbsup:

I agree. I normally fly a Maple Leaf on Canada Day.

triumphguy Jan 28th 2009 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by Elaine B. (Post 7222770)
Being from Northern Ireland flying of flags was never a good idea mind you now I'm officially Canadian maybe I'll put up a Maple Leaf on July 12th just to confuse matters;)

There's someone who would fly the Red Hand from his garage. I found it provocative even over here! But that's my own personal shtuff.

I fly the maple leaf on Canada day.

I've seen more Union Jacks flying here than I ever saw in England.